Actual Fix for Droid 4 Ear Piece

Tip us?

AEracer7
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Actual Fix for Droid 4 Ear Piece

Hello,
I recently bought a used droid 4 and it has the ear piece crackle problem. I have read numerous threads about failed ear pieces and none seem to have a fix. Does opening the phone and using a different glue to hold the speaker or replacing it with a new speaker help at all? I really want to keep this phone because I love it aside from the crackle.
Returning the phone to Verizon or Motorola isn't an option because I bought this phone to replace my failing Droid 3 and I'm holding out on an upgrade for the Droid 5.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Krooked247
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I am fortunate enough that my D4 doesn't have this problem, but I know a lot of people are stuck with this. If you try either of your suggestions report back for everybody else.

Krooked All Day...

herbmillerjr
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I successfully replaced the earpiece speaker in mine with an OEM replacement off of eBay for about $7. Dropped it in and worked perfectly, but be warned, if you replace it with another genuine OEM part, the same thing will eventually happen. Mine is already crackling again.

moonscar119
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEracer7 View Post
Hello,
I recently bought a used droid 4 and it has the ear piece crackle problem. I have read numerous threads about failed ear pieces and none seem to have a fix. Does opening the phone and using a different glue to hold the speaker or replacing it with a new speaker help at all? I really want to keep this phone because I love it aside from the crackle.
Returning the phone to Verizon or Motorola isn't an option because I bought this phone to replace my failing Droid 3 and I'm holding out on an upgrade for the Droid 5.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I got mine from some cell phone doctor website. It was an easy fix to swap it out.... just go get one of those tiny kobalt torques screwdriver kits at kohls. Get a normal one and a torques one.... they are essential in nnormal life lol. Be carful removing the battery and the cast cover on the back. the battery bneeds to be unscrewed with two screws first and the case has the built in antennas attached. this dummy here ripped the battery from the charging terminals and removed the sticker from the bottom on the case only to realise it was an antenna lol

wallachi
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEracer7 View Post
Does opening the phone and using a different glue to hold the speaker or replacing it with a new speaker help at all?
I'd think so, as long as you get really good contact before you glue it, and maintain pressure while it sets.

My screen bit the dust before I got around to repairing my last unit "for good" but the earpiece had degraded into complete silence. Based on some "tighten the faceplate screws" advice I'd gotten, I got by for a couple of weeks with a brutally simple solution: keeping a finger wrapped over the top of the phone, pressing gently just to the left of "Motorola."

xantanion
Old
Thanks Meter 2
When do these problems tend to show up? I've noticed sometimes my earpiece is a bit wonky

Sent from my XT894 using xda app-developers app

WickedWayz
Old
Thanks Meter 1
mines is screwed since i dropped with case.....gotten a lil better over time but would like to replace it.

szegi2
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Hello,

Try the earpiece from Nokia Lumia 610. Much cheaper and i think it's a little bit louder. Fits perfectly. I replaced mine with it and it's working well.

WickedWayz
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by szegi2 View Post
Hello,

Try the earpiece from Nokia Lumia 610. Much cheaper and i think it's a little bit louder. Fits perfectly. I replaced mine with it and it's working well.
Really??? It fits.....

szegi2
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWayz View Post
Really??? It fits.....
4pcs $3.99 on ebay with free shipping.

Works in my droid 4 without any problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to szegi2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]