XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Over clock Speed

Tip us?

eldubberyew
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Over clock Speed

Hey, new member on here but I have been lurking a while. Just rooted my Mega 6.3 and have also installed SetCPU for Root Users. What speed is safest? I have maxed it out on both sliders but not really sure if its OK!

Thanks in advance

Sent from my GT-I9205 using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

megalomanic14
Old
Thanks Meter 934
Ya man that's no problem...i run my mega the same way, as I find its much faster and smoother at max clock on performance governor. Just so you know, this is not over clocking, since your on stock kernel you cannot actually over clock a stock kernel..i am putting together a custom kernel that you can over clock, I'm just finding the sweet spot, and will be releasing it soon. Prolly clocked around 1.9 or 1.85 ish. So far in my testing it had the mega running extremely fast.

Mega

shayneflashindaily
Old
Thanks Meter 849

DONATE TO ME
Wouldn't having your CPU running full steam be a problem ...heat issues and instability .. The min shouldn't be the same as maximum... And performance gov does what exactly.

*MEGA 4.4.2*GS2 4.4.2*2SHAYNEZ*

---------- Post added at 07:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 AM ----------

I'm a under clock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SzkZm7JP58">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SzkZm7JP58" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

shayneflashindaily
Old
Thanks Meter 849

DONATE TO ME
*mega 4.4.2*gs2 4.4.2*2shaynez*
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1388643103481.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	2488871  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SzkZm7JP58">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SzkZm7JP58" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

megalomanic14
Old
Thanks Meter 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayneflashindaily View Post
Wouldn't having your CPU running full steam be a problem ...heat issues and installing, so anytime your anything really .. The min shouldn't be the same as maximum... And performance gov does what exactly.

---------- Post added at 07:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 AM ----------

I'm a under clock

No...not at all...In fact the note 3 comes stock with its cpu at max clock and min clock with an on demand governor, so anytime your doing anything really your running max clock. The mega runs much much cooler than the note 3 so there is no issue, not to mention these are only the max recommended clock speed by manufacturer, which are typically under estimated between 25 and 50%.

The only real factor that could cause any problem at all is heat. If your device were to overheat to some extreme then you could have a problem but other than heat it's perfectly safe, and very effective for performance increase. Not to mention there are typically 3 protocols built in to safe your device from any harm from overheating, a screen dim, reboot, and shut down. And I'm only talking about setcpu on stock setting it at max clock for stock kernel...then we get into over clocking which if you under clock will know, the only downside to over clock is diminished battery life but it's a trade off for performance. But to be honest I only lose about 45 mins on my note 3 at max clock of 2.3 ghz and about 30 mins screen on time with my mega at max 1.7 ghz. But I have several devices the i either carry or develop for and each of them I run performance gov and max clock speed, and have never once had a problem doing this on stock kernel and always see major improvement in speed. For instance my i9205 megas probably saw the biggest speed and smoothness boost from this setup of all my other phones and note tablets. Your mega will run nearly identical to a note 3 fir transition animations and browser loading by sticking at max clock. And I still get 4.5 to 5 hours on screen time a day minimum.

Lastly, governors...In a very basic definition (I suggest you google is schedulers and kernel cpu govs) are basically the controller commands for the cpu and gpu. On all of my devices I run max clock speed for both min and max set to the highest, with performance governor. The performance gov literally just keeps the cpu at max throttle vs varying the clock speed. The scheduler (like cf, deadline ect) controls the flash memory aand the optimal io setting varies by device...of my devices each have different in schedulers that they run best on, just test your device with each.

Now it gets tricky as stock usually has 3 io schedulers and about 6 to 10 governors. Custom kernels on the other hand will add all kinds of customized govs and io controllers. Just google this if interested, will make a world of difference for the performance on your device.

Mega

shayneflashindaily
Old
Thanks Meter 849

DONATE TO ME
Oh I know been over and underclocking and io scheduling and governing for a long time I just never used performance because I've seen problems with it in the past for others. I was just curious of what you knew about performance gov. And to see if I could get a different perspective from you which I did so thanx for that. With my under clocking it seems I still get great performance and battery life, probably isn't even really that much better but I will consider trying out some overclocking on the mega.Overclocking was always good to me with my other devices.Just started under clocking for some reason lol cheerz:beer:

2SHAYNEZ

Blazzed87
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Cant wait for a kernel that will allow overclocking of the cpu and gpu. Im using US Cellular model number SCH-R960 (Mega 6.3). My question is if a custom kernel is made would I even be able to use it since im on a CDMA phone?

Sent from my SCH-R960 using xda app-developers app

eldubberyew
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I did a bit of research last night, I am keeping an eye on battery temperature at the moment. How can I read cpu temperature?

Thanks again for all the replies!

Using Tapatalk

shayneflashindaily
Old
Thanks Meter 849

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldubberyew View Post
I did a bit of research last night, I am keeping an eye on battery temperature at the moment. How can I read cpu temperature?

There is a exposed module to have CPU temp in status bar but I couldn't get it to work

megalomanic14
Old
(Last edited by megalomanic14; 2nd January 2014 at 06:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazzed87 View Post
Cant wait for a kernel that will allow overclocking of the cpu and gpu. Im using US Cellular model number SCH-R960 (Mega 6.3). My question is if a custom kernel is made would I even be able to use it since im on a CDMA phone?

Sent from my SCH-R960 using xda app-developers app

No I'm afraid not...Unfortunately since your mega cdma...it will have different modem, kernel, and firmware than the international i9205 which I'm developing a kernel for. You'll have to wait and see if any development happens for the us cellular mega.

Mega

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayneflashindaily View Post
Oh I know been over and underclocking and io scheduling and governing for a long time I just never used performance because I've seen problems with it in the past for others. I was just curious of what you knew about performance gov. And to see if I could get a different perspective from you which I did so thanx for that. With my under clocking it seems I still get great performance and battery life, probably isn't even really that much better but I will consider trying out some overclocking on the mega.Overclocking was always good to me with my other devices.Just started under clocking for some reason lol cheerz:beer:

2SHAYNEZ

Shayne...what issues have you heard of running performance gov? There's actually a bit of evidence and school of thought that running at optimal performance is better for the hardware as it more efficiently performs tasks in a shorter period of time. Plus the fact that my devices all run cooler once the initial burst happens...typically around 8 degrees lower than when using a fluctuating gov. If you research on xda performance gov you'll see plenty of info. But the difference in performance is actually quite a lot to be honest. This is the same effect that intel use when implementing turbo over clocking...it performs said function faster allowing for regulation of temp and other parameters quicker than varying the clock to try and run the same task which means more strain on the cpu and higher temps. While it may sound and bit backwards at first once you run it at see what I'm talking about it makes much more sense. But on stock kernel unless you have and faulty device there is absolutely no issue or danger whatsoever...your our more than likely referring to running max over clock on a custom kernel that exceeds the threshold for a given hardware and causes overheating and in turn some other issues.

Mega

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldubberyew View Post

Tbh you really don't even need to do this, as without a baseline for what is standard or what is nominal for the mega and the krait 400 architecture you'll see a number with zero context. A better number to follow is your battery temp which is displayed in set cpu under info amd batter stats...that will run while at max clock around 87 degrees which is extremely cool. Highest I've ever seem mine is 91...whereas my note 3 without max clock is 95 lol. Max clock on the mega is extremely safe especially on stock kernel. Even my custom kernel I'm test running at 1.9 ghz only hits 94 degrees. Just fyi

Mega