[Q] Phone stuck on 'quietly brilliant' screen

Tip us?

mfigrs
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Phone stuck on 'quietly brilliant' screen

Hi all,

For no reason - overnight - my phone just stopped working. It displays the 'quietly brilliant' screen forever. It is HTC One X ATT version, unlocked and runs on t-mobile. I already bought it unlocked on Amazon and never 'tampered' with it nor anything.

I tired to obtain help from HTC support - they told me to hold the power button for 3 minutes, then all buttons for 2 minutes - nothing helped. Before I send it for repair I thought I would ask here.

I am able to boot into HBOOT by holding the volume- button. Then if I go into FASTBOOT and connect the phone (all drivers installed) the mode changes to FASTBOOT USB. I've downloaded the 3.07 RUU from HTC and tried that. It recognizes the phone while in the ".. USB" mode and does the 1st step: reboot. The phone boots into 'quietly brilliant' screen and the connection times out.

Next, I downloaded the android SDK and tried to connect with fastboot manually - I am able to connect, but unable to flash anything - signature not matching, etc. Clearing cache didn't help either - that was about all I could do with my skill level.

My HBOOT screen shows the following:
*** LOCKED ***
EVITA PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.09.0000
RADIO-0.17.32.09.12
OpenDSP-v28.1.0.32.0504
eMCC-boot
Apr 2 2012,21:08:24

I've tried many tips from this forum but wasn't able to get anything to work. Help please!

ChadMan097
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfigrs View Post
Hi all,

For no reason - overnight - my phone just stopped working. It displays the 'quietly brilliant' screen forever. It is HTC One X ATT version, unlocked and runs on t-mobile. I already bought it unlocked on Amazon and never 'tampered' with it nor anything.

I tired to obtain help from HTC support - they told me to hold the power button for 3 minutes, then all buttons for 2 minutes - nothing helped. Before I send it for repair I thought I would ask here.

I am able to boot into HBOOT by holding the volume- button. Then if I go into FASTBOOT and connect the phone (all drivers installed) the mode changes to FASTBOOT USB. I've downloaded the 3.07 RUU from HTC and tried that. It recognizes the phone while in the ".. USB" mode and does the 1st step: reboot. The phone boots into 'quietly brilliant' screen and the connection times out.

Next, I downloaded the android SDK and tried to connect with fastboot manually - I am able to connect, but unable to flash anything - signature not matching, etc. Clearing cache didn't help either - that was about all I could do with my skill level.

*** LOCKED ***
EVITA PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.09.0000
RADIO-0.17.32.09.12
OpenDSP-v28.1.0.32.0504
eMCC-boot

I've tried many tips from this forum but wasn't able to get anything to work. Help please!
Anybody feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but you phones HBOOT should say this,
Since you are not rooted ignore whatever is in parenthesis.

(***TAMPERED***)
(***UNLOCKED***)
EVITA PVT SHIP (S-OFF) RL
(CID-11111111)
HBOOT-2.14.0000
RADIO-0.24P.32.09.06
OpenDSP-v34.1.0.45.1219
eMMC-boot
Nov 26 2012, 18:37:14:-1

Now if I am right, the problem should be that your RUU needs updating. You also seem to be running an old radio version. Your OpenDSP is outdated as well. I would suggest updating your RUU and radio version, I think your OpenDSP should be updated with the RUU. @Madcat8686 would probably be better at explaining everything and being able to give you links, but I think that is the main issue.

mfigrs
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
The trick is, the phone doesn't take the RUU update - at least not the recent one from HTC website. I have tried other updates though, and they didn't work either. After the 1st reboot the phone gets stuck on 'quietly brilliant' screen and is never recognized again by the computer, so it just times out.

Besides, I really don't care how much it is outdated as long as it works. Meanwhile - it doesn't, and that is the problem I am trying to fix. Factory reset and recovery didn't work either...

ChadMan097
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
The trick is, the phone doesn't take the RUU update - at least not the recent one from HTC website. I have tried other updates though, and they didn't work either. After the 1st reboot the phone gets stuck on 'quietly brilliant' screen and is never recognized again by the computer, so it just times out.

Besides, I really don't care how much it is outdated as long as it works. Meanwhile - it doesn't, and that is the problem I am trying to fix. Factory reset and recovery didn't work either...
Do you know if it was running the Android 4.1.1 update or the original android 4.0.4?

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4596

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadMan097 View Post
Anybody feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but you phones HBOOT should say this,
Since you are not rooted ignore whatever is in parenthesis.

(***TAMPERED***)
(***UNLOCKED***)
EVITA PVT SHIP (S-OFF) RL
(CID-11111111)
HBOOT-2.14.0000
RADIO-0.24P.32.09.06
OpenDSP-v34.1.0.45.1219
eMMC-boot
Nov 26 2012, 18:37:14:-1

Now if I am right, the problem should be that your RUU needs updating. You also seem to be running an old radio version. Your OpenDSP is outdated as well. I would suggest updating your RUU and radio version, I think your OpenDSP should be updated with the RUU. @Madcat8686 would probably be better at explaining everything and being able to give you links, but I think that is the main issue.
Not exactly true. It should say what the user had first posted. The reason his radio is old is because you can't change radio on an unmodified phone. Nothing really needs updating as you put it, but an RUU should at least get the phone booting.

Sent from my Evita.

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

Quote:

That 3.07 RUU doesn't exist for our device, that's why it didn't work. Go to androidruu.com and navigate to the Evita section, there you'll find RUU's for our phone. Find one that is at&t/Cingular and try again.

Sent from my Evita.
HTC Evita
KarbonKat 4.4.2 1.0-5 | S-off
2.14 | Modified TWRP 2.6.3

Madcat8686
Old
Thanks Meter 159
Quote:
Hi all,

*** LOCKED ***
EVITA PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.09.0000
RADIO-0.17.32.09.12
OpenDSP-v28.1.0.32.0504
eMCC-boot

In fastboot mode (bootloader) with a command prompt type: fastboot getvar all

Post those details and then we can see the bigger picture. Please edit out your IMEI live when posting.

Edit - (just on the off chance you have superCID)
HTC One XL Evita
Rom: CM 11
Kernel: Stock
HBoot: 2.18
S-off
Recovery: Modified TWRP 2.6.3

Nexus 7 (2012) Grouper
Rom: Purity 4.4.2
Kernel: Stock
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.1

ChadMan097
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaaa View Post
Not exactly true. It should say what the user had first posted. The reason his radio is old is because you can't change radio on an unmodified phone. Nothing really needs updating as you put it, but an RUU should at least get the phone booting.

Sent from my Evita.

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

That 3.07 RUU doesn't exist for our device, that's why it didn't work. Go to androidruu.com and navigate to the Evita section, there you'll find RUU's for our phone. Find one that is at&t/Cingular and try again.

Sent from my Evita.
Right, but wouldn't that be the latest update for the device. He most likely got the international RUU update.

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4596

DONATE TO ME
He can run any Evita RUU later than his current firmware version, it doesn't have to be the latest.

Sent from my Evita.
HTC Evita

mfigrs
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hello everyone,

The results of 'getvar all':
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.09.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 0.17.32.09.12
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 1.85.502.3
(bootloader) serialno: HT246W30???? [last 4 digits obscured]
(bootloader) imei: ---
(bootloader) product: evita
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8960
(bootloader) modelid: PJ8310000
(bootloader) cidnum: CWS__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4126mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: e964c535
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.094s

Responding to other questions - I think the RUU 3.07 that I downloaded from HTC suport page for ATT phone should normally work. In the filename it says Cingular, however I also tried other RUUs (at least one) that I downloaded from somewhere, and it didn't work as well. I tried flashing just 'boot_signed.img' from one of those ruus - result: failed - because of signature or something like that.

Regards,

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4596

DONATE TO ME
Dude, I like I already said, that 3.07 RUU is not for our device, it's for the HTC One. Just because it says Cingular in the filename doesn't mean it's for our device, it just means it's an at&t RUU. Stop trying RUU's from random places, go to this site:

http://androidruu.com/?developer=Evita

That's where you'll find RUU's for Evita.

Sent from my Evita.
HTC Evita