5,599,190 Members 35,575 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APKs] The KitKat we didn't get

Tip us?

erishasnobattery
Old
(Last edited by erishasnobattery; 3rd January 2014 at 08:14 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 689

DONATE TO ME
Default [APKs] The KitKat we didn't get

Nothing special here, just a couple of apks to get us closer to the correct KitKat look.

There is an updated MotLauncher2.apk that has the transparent status bar enabled. In addition, it was modified to remove the dock divider, and use the KitKat apps icon. Also, a 5th icon row was added, but over(under)laps the QSB making it unusable. I only made the change to fix the uneven spacing of the stock 4 row launcher.

There is also an updated SystemUI.apk that replaces the awful signal icons VZW stuffs down our throats with the stock icons from KitKat. All of the other status bar changes were accomplished with Xposed and GravityBox. It should be noted, stock only uses a 4 bar signal, so technically I cheated and used the 4bar for both level 4 and 5.

I am not responsible if you can't follow instructions and brick or otherwise render your phone inoperable!

You must be rooted and on KitKat.

How to install:
  1. Download files
  2. Reboot into Safestrap
  3. Make a backup (just in case)
  4. Select Mount and check System
  5. Open a command prompt (terminal) and navigate to location of downloaded files
  6. Code:
    adb shell

rm /system/priv-app/MotLauncher2.apk

rm /system/priv-app/MotLauncher2.odex

rm /system/priv-app/SystemUI.apk

rm /system/priv-app/SystemUI.odex

adb push MotLauncher2.apk /system/priv-app

adb push SystemUI.apk /system/priv-app

adb shell chmod 644 /system/priv-app/MotLauncher2.apk

adb shell chmod 644 /system/priv-app/SystemUI.apk
  7. Reboot

This was something I did for myself. I will not be making any other modifications or make any custom versions of these so please don't ask. I will attempt to assist anyone having trouble getting it on their system, but it's pretty straight forward and I'm not in the habit of hand-holding.

Enjoy!

MotLauncher2.apk

SystemUI.apk
Droid Eris --> Droid X --> Moto Atrix (I hate you AT&T) -->HTC Thunderbolt --> HTC Rezound --> Galaxy Nexus
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to erishasnobattery For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SDC_Bolts
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I do not use safestrap, could a guy push these with root explorer or alternative method?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

Gave it a shot, renamed the systemui apks to .old, copied in the downloaded one, rebooted, and it works. Thank you Eris

Optimus812
Old
(Last edited by Optimus812; 3rd January 2014 at 07:13 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks, that's pretty cool. I was able to copy / remove the apks using root explorer.

How do you go about making the status bar battery and clock white? Mine are still blue after the update, maybe its something with me lol...

SDC_Bolts
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus812 View Post
Thanks, that's pretty cool. I was able to copy / remove the apks using root explorer.

How do you go about making the status bar battery and clock white? Mine are still blue after the update, maybe its something with me lol...
I use xposed and gravity kk to change them.

Jaocagomez
Old
(Last edited by Jaocagomez; 4th January 2014 at 06:07 AM.)
Thanks Meter 83
Do you require root to do this?

Can you just push it via adb?

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
unlocking bootloader begginers guide: Rooting, Installing Custom Recoveries, Custom Roms, Moto x Firmware http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2645122

erishasnobattery
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 689

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaocagomez View Post
Do you require root to do this?

Can you just push it via adb?

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
You need to be rooted. Says so right in the first post.

Droid Eris --> Droid X --> Moto Atrix (I hate you AT&T) -->HTC Thunderbolt --> HTC Rezound --> Galaxy Nexus

Volodimirrr
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Sorry, but when I'm opening an app drawer the animation of bar is too slow and I'm getting this for a few seconds so.. Don't be angry on me but I'll not use it, thanks anyway.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389011225623.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	2497918  

kuz142
Old
(Last edited by kuz142; 10th January 2014 at 12:31 AM.)
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
There is also an updated SystemUI.apk that replaces the awful signal icons VZW stuffs down our throats with the stock icons from KitKat.
Can I ask what mods you did to SystemUI to get the AOSP look? I want to do my own mod, but changing the same bools.xml values as I've been doing for the Moto X hasn't worked out completely, and still left me with the ugly huge space next to the signal bars. Also, did you find what makes the icons continue to turn blue and show activity arrows like on JB? Thanks!
If I've been helpful, please take a second to click the 'Thanks' button

My Devices: HTC Incredible, 2.3.4 > Moto Droid RAZR Maxx, CyanogenMod 10.1, Android 4.2.2 > Moto X, Droid Maxx, almost stock KitKat 4.4

erishasnobattery
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 689

DONATE TO ME
Replaced all the drawables with the stock ones from kitkat. The vzw versions are wider, which is why you get the ugly gap.

As far as them turning blue, that is gone from kitkat, but if you use the JB icons, you can emulate the functionality. To make it "really" work like JB, you'd have to rewrite the network controller classes. They were heavily modified for the vzw icons to work.

The Following User Says Thank You to erishasnobattery For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kuz142
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by erishasnobattery View Post
Replaced all the drawables with the stock ones from kitkat. The vzw versions are wider, which is why you get the ugly gap.

As far as them turning blue, that is gone from kitkat, but if you use the JB icons, you can emulate the functionality. To make it "really" work like JB, you'd have to rewrite the network controller classes. They were heavily modified for the vzw icons to work.

Interestingly enough, flashing your SystemUI still leaves me with the gap on my 4.4 Maxx, any idea why that would be?
If I've been helpful, please take a second to click the 'Thanks' button

My Devices: HTC Incredible, 2.3.4 > Moto Droid RAZR Maxx, CyanogenMod 10.1, Android 4.2.2 > Moto X, Droid Maxx, almost stock KitKat 4.4