Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,168 Members 50,948 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[KITCHEN] ArchiKitchen - Android Kitchen (WIP) [Linux]

Tip us?

JustArchi
Old
(Last edited by JustArchi; 17th April 2014 at 02:33 PM.)
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 20538

DONATE TO ME
Arrow [KITCHEN] ArchiKitchen - Android Kitchen (WIP) [Linux]

ArchiKitchen - Brand new Android Kitchen

Commits/Changes -> https://github.com/JustArchi/ArchiKi...commits/master
Source -> https://github.com/JustArchi/ArchiKitchen
TODO list -> https://github.com/JustArchi/ArchiKi...ues?state=open

Download. Of course you can also clone my repository to stay up to date.
The Following 156 Users Say Thank You to JustArchi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JustArchi
Old
(Last edited by JustArchi; 17th April 2014 at 02:34 PM.)
Thanks Meter 20538

DONATE TO ME
Features:
  • Compatible with every Linux, which provides bash shell (every available distro nowadays)
  • Full ARM/X86 support for all included android binaries (Root, Busybox)
  • Dynamic permissions - A generic list of all available permissions, with proper filter for your local build and device
  • Dynamic symlinks - A generic list of all available symlinks, with proper filter for your local build and device. Additionaly if you're building from stock image, support for including symlinks from image itself, which results in best 1:1 copy
  • FS-friendly method of flashing - ROMs created with ArchiKitchen are fully compatible with every available partition, which means that they don't reformat /system partition during flashing. This is extremely important for dual-FS support for example for EXT4 and F2FS on SGS3.
  • Kernel repacking - Powered by mkbootimg, repacking a kernel never was easier. With one click you're extracting the kernel along with ramdisk to the proper folder, and with the second you repack it back
  • Deodexing - With one click you can easily deodex your whole ROM. With multi-threaded process and automatic API detection, this never was easier as well.
  • ArchiDroid Init.d - Forget about relying on kernel's ramdisk. Implement init.d in your ROM, not the kernel!
  • Latest [Bak]smali
  • Latest SuperSU
  • Latest Busybox
  • Latest Zipalign
  • And many more in the unique shell ktichen

Credits:
@osm0sis - For mkbootimg
@Chainfire - For SuperSU
@Stericson - For BusyBox
@JesusFreke - For [Bak]smali
AOSP - For Zipalign
The Following 47 Users Say Thank You to JustArchi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JustArchi
Old
(Last edited by JustArchi; 19th June 2014 at 04:08 PM.)
Thanks Meter 20538

DONATE TO ME
ArchiKitchen Tutorial

Part 1 - Setting up Linux & ArchiKitchen on Windows

By watching above step-by-step video, you'll learn:
1. How to install Debian on your VirtualBox machine
2. How to connect Windows with Linux through a shared VBox folder
3. How to install ArchiKitchen
4. How to create your first custom ROM, with built-in Root and Busybox

Extra information:
- You can use any virtualization method you want. I suggest using VirtualBox, as it's very easy, flexible and free virtualization solution.
- You can use nearly any Linux distro. I suggest either Debian or Ubuntu, as both of them have excellent support and are very easy to install and use, compared to some other ones. However if you feel fine in Linux environment, you can install nearly any distro you like.

Mini.iso link
Weekly Debian Testing.iso link
Installing virtualbox additions: apt-get install virtualbox-guest-dkms
Installing required tools: apt-get install zip unzip openjdk-7-jdk
Mounting a shared VBox folder: mount -t vboxsf yourName /path/to/yourFolder

ArchiKitchen Questions & Answers

Q: What is this "ArchiKitchen"?
A: A Linux-based kitchen, with a main objective of converting stock ROM drops in .img, .tar.md5 or similar formats to CWM-flashable .zip.

Q: So I can create my own custom ROM based on stock ROM with it?
A: Exactly.

Q: Is it for Linux only? Why windows is not supported?
A: Let's face it, Android is based on Linux kernel and we could call it a mobile UNIX fork. It's hard to work with Linux-based things on Windows, in fact, Windows doesn't even offer Bash (Bourne-again shell), which is absolutely core for ArchiKitchen. Working with windows is painful, for example - .img mounting. I can very easily mount any filesystem image on Linux with just one command, while doing so on Windows usually requires a massive convertion of whole image to .zip file, then extracting a single files. Also, Windows doesn't support symbolic links, and this makes it impossible to create 1:1 copy of the image "translated" to zip file. Therefore, making a Windows port would require lots of more work and solving issues, and even with that it would still cause some core features to be unavailable. However, launching Linux on Windows is very easy thanks to VirtualBox and other virtualization software, so you don't need to reformat your PC or stick purely with Linux. In fact, this is the proposed way of using ArchiKitchen - Installing a native Linux distro (suggested: Debian or Ubuntu) and then installing ArchiKitchen on it. Take a look at tutorial to see how easily you can install and run ArchiKitchen in Linux VBox.

Q: Which phones are supported?
A: ArchiKitchen contains a local "database" of devices, which includes a kernel/modem blocks to be used. However, as long as you know the partition layour of your device (kernel block), ArchiKitchen works with every phone and every Android variant. I'm trying to make it as universal as possible, so even if your device does not exist in our local database, it should work.

Q: How can I add my own phone to the local database?
A: If it doesn't exist yet, take a look at "product" folder. Inside you can notice various devices with name based on their models. ArchiKitchen will detect your ROM's model and check inside if it exists, if it does, then some properties for this model will be loaded, if it doesn't exist, then ArchiKitchen will ask user for them. Probably the best idea is to copy one of the already available models (for example "m0" - Samsung Galaxy S3), then rename new copied folder to your model name and finally edit files inside.

Q: What is "NULL" text found for example in some MODEM files in the database?
A: Some phones have a possibility to flash modem directly from CWM, others don't. "NULL" text indicates that this model does not support flashing modem.bin, so even if ArchiKitchen finds and recognizes it, it will pop up an error telling you that it unfortunately can't be used.

Q: Where is SYSTEM block?
A: System block is not being used at all, as it's a valid partition and should be located in "fstab" file in recovery already. ArchiKitchen mounts system automatically through "mount" binary, with automatic filesystem and /system path. I consider providing a system block as something obsolete, because it's only required when you're formatting a partition, and even during flashing, a wipe - delete_recursive() function is enough. Therefore, ArchiKitchen does NOT require providing a /system block.

ArchiKitchen Troubleshooting

Q: It looks like something is wrong with zipalign command. I can notice errors like "./zipalign: No such file or directory"
A: This is because zipalign is x86 binary (32-bit), while you have amd64 (64-bit) Linux. Therefore, we must install some missing core packages to properly support x86 binaries. This will do the trick:
Code:
apt-get install lib32stdc++6 lib32z1
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to JustArchi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JustArchi
Old
(Last edited by JustArchi; 17th April 2014 at 01:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 20538

DONATE TO ME
ArchiDroid Init.d

ArchiDroid Init.d is an innovative method for including init.d support in the ROM itself, and not in the kernel. ArchiKitchen supports adding ArchiDroid Init.d to any Android ROM.

ArchiDroid Init.d is based on two files. A core - debuggerd hook, and a check part - simple init.d script.

Init.d script is named 00ARCHIDROID_INITD, and it only creates a special file to notify the core that init.d has been already executed, therefore it can't conflict with anything and it's completely safe.

The core is a hook for special /system/bin/debuggerd binary, which is normally called once during initial boot. Therefore, when it's called, ArchiDroid Init.d firstly waits a specified amount of time (default: 5 seconds), in case if user has already a kernel with init.d support. This is required because otherwise all init.d scripts would be executed twice - by kernel and our init.d. After specified time, if init.d is still not executed, our hook executes all scripts in alfabetical order. Lastly, when we're done, hook is executing original debuggerd binary (default: debuggerd.real) and shares the environment, arguments and everything. This is a perfect method for implementing init.d in the ROM itself, because we don't need to trust the kernel that it supports and executes init.d properly. We give it a 5 seconds to execute it, and eventually we do the job if kernel is not interested in that. This way we can support both custom kernels with native init.d support (we wait initial delay, if kernel executes init.d, all is fine and we don't have to do so), and also pure stock kernels without init.d support (we wait initial delay, kernel doesn't care about init.d, so we're executing it).

I think that such hook works far better than relying on the kernel and modyfing stock ramdisks. Also we're sure that even if user changes kernel to any custom one, we still have reliable init.d support, regardless if custom kernel supports init.d or not.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to JustArchi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JustArchi
Old
(Last edited by JustArchi; 21st February 2014 at 07:40 PM.)
Thanks Meter 20538

DONATE TO ME
DEPRECATED dsixda's kitchen continuation

In comparision with latest dsixda's kitchen:
  • Reworked rooting
  • Updated SuperSU to v1.92
  • Added Koush Superuser v1.0.2.8
  • Removed obsolete ChainsDD superuser + old su
  • Updated Busybox to 1.22.1
  • Updated Baksmali/Smali to 2.0.3
  • Bumped default API level to 18
  • Added support for deodexing priv-app folder
  • Added support for Nexus 5
  • Added support for GT-I9502 (Chinese S4)

Commits/Changes -> https://github.com/JustArchi/ArchiKi...commits/dsixda
Source -> https://github.com/JustArchi/ArchiKitchen/tree/dsixda

Download. Of course you can also clone my repository to stay up to date.

All credit goes to dsixda's and his awesome development, I'm only making my best to keep kitchen up-to-date and maybe push development further. Head on to original thread to learn more. If you want to donate, please donate to dsixda.

This project has been DEPRECATED by new reworked ArchiKitchen. Don't expect any continuation on this. Read OP above for ArchiKitchen.
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to JustArchi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Harris_xx
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustArchi View Post
It's a bit quiet in here, I was expecting more noise
Me too!

THX for your work!!!
If i get my new Laptop next few days i will dl and test it!

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9505 mit Tapatalk 2

JustArchi
Old
Thanks Meter 20538

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris_xx View Post
Me too!

THX for your work!!!
If i get my new Laptop next few days i will dl and test it!

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9505 mit Tapatalk 2
Looking forward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustArchi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SavanTorian
Old
Thanks Meter 91

DONATE TO ME
i really appreciate your work, like every time
.: i9300 / xxugna7 (XSG/btu) :.
.: boeffla-kernel 5.2 / blue-theme v5 / t.recov 6.0.4.x :.
.: | donate for a donut :.

JustArchi
Old
Thanks Meter 20538

DONATE TO ME
In general whole kitchen needs a magic touch more or less but firstly I'll want to make it fully usable (and modern!) then eventually rework it.

As for now it's more or less up-to-date. Also added Note3 variant.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustArchi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Darkman
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2611

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for your work and projekt!

I will download and test it with the new Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 (Android 4.3)
Galaxy S4 Active (GoogleEdition) | Nexus 7 (SmoothROM) | Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 (Darkman`s Stocky ROM) | Galaxy Camera (Stock rooted) | PengStick (rooted)

Tags
dsixda kitchen justarchi android chef