HW mic issue - need to record mono

Search This thread

ldmelo

Mar 18, 2007
This is an unusual request. Is there a way to make the camera app record video with mono audio?

I have an international i9505, rooted, but my s4 seems to be affected with some kind of mic defect that makes one of the audio channels present a lot of pops and cracking sounds. This seems to be a hardware issue that affects some s4,specially the first ones sold in Europe.

The best workaround I found so far is to record stereo and discard the audio from the defective channel afterwards, in a painful process that includes transferring the files to a pc for processing...

I found some 3rd party camera apps that have this option (mono audio ), like "camera jb+" and "snap camera hdr". I bought both, but they generate 15fps files that are much worse than the 30fps files from the s4 default camera app.

So.. What I am wondering is if I could somehow change the way the camera app records audio (maybe changing some xml,... I don't know).

Or... Maybe someone could point me some nice 3rd party app that could solve my issue.

Last edited:

smep

Jul 30, 2013
Why not Update the whole firmware ? You may solve this issue

Sent from my PS3

smep

Jul 30, 2013
You may have to check the mic connector .... maybe you drop the phone and the connector got loose

Sent from dish washer

Last edited:

ldmelo

Mar 18, 2007
I won't open the phone for that. I think it would give me more problems than benefits.

Besides, the issue is shared by a lot of people and seems to be a hw factory defect. I gave up a long time ago trying to fix it.

See here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2317900

What I want now is a good workaround. Maybe a camera mod that allows me to record mono...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app