XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD] [TMO] Remove Brightness and Volume Sliders

Tip us?

staulkor
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 28
Default [MOD] [TMO] Remove Brightness and Volume Sliders

I deodexed the SystemUI from the T-Mobile G2 and removed the volume and brightness sliders. Download the APK from the link below and follow the directions below. Root is required

Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...LGSystemUI.apk

1. Use 'adb pull' to grab a copy of your current LGSystemUI.apk and LGSystemUI.odex files for backup!!!
2. Push the new LGSystemUI.apk to the sdcard

Code:
adb push LGSystemUI.apk /sdcard/LGSystemUI.apk
3. Open a root adb shell.
4. Remount system to read/write with the following:

Code:
mount -o remount,rw -t ext4 /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system /system
5. Delete the existing files

Code:
rm /system/app/LGSystemUI.apk
Code:
rm /system/app/LGSystemUI.odex
6. Copy the new file to /system/app

Code:
cp /sdcard/LGSystemUI.apk /system/app/LGSystemUI.apk
7. Set correct permissions

Code:
chmod 644 /system/app/LGSystemUI.apk
8. Reboot

Code:
reboot
Done!
--too many phones to list--
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to staulkor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dw9906
Old
Thanks Meter 859

DONATE TO ME
Worked perfect using root explorer. Thanks so much. Hated those things.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk 4
LG G2 (T-Mobile)
ROM-CM10.2 Android 4.3.1
------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy Note II (T-Mobile)
ROM-CM11 Android 4.4
Nexus 4
ROM-CM11 Android 4.4
Nexus 7 (2013)
ROM-CM11 Android 4.4
The Following User Says Thank You to dw9906 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JTNiggle
Old
(Last edited by JTNiggle; 23rd September 2013 at 05:56 AM.)
Thanks Meter 239
Good work. Now that you've removed them from the t-mobile g2, can I have them on my Verizon g2?

Actually, all I want is the brightness slider, no use for the volume one. Is this something you could do as a request if I provide the Verizon systemUI.apk and do the testing? I would just about kill to have the brightness slider on mine, but it is not part of the Verizon rom.
LG VX9800 - LG VX9900 - BB 8100 - Touch Pro - Touch Pro 2 - Hero - Evo 4G - Evo 3D - Incredible 2 - Bionic - Rezound - DNA - LG G2

ericdabbs
Old
Thanks Meter 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTNiggle View Post
Good work. Now that you've removed them from the t-mobile g2, can I have them on my Verizon g2?

Actually, all I want is the brightness slider, no use for the volume one. Is this something you could do as a request I provide the Verizon systemUI.apk and do the testing? I would just about kill to have the brightness slider on mine, but it is not part of the Verizon rom.
I assume this fix file will work on the Tmobile, ATT and Sprint versions?

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw9906 View Post
Worked perfect using root explorer. Thanks so much. Hated those things.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk 4
Sounds like its so much easier to copy these files and change permissions to 644 (rw-r--r--) using root explorer than to use adb commands.

Walter21026
Old
Thanks Meter 108
Quote:

Actually, all I want is the brightness slider, no use for the volume one. Is this something you could do as a request if I provide the Verizon systemUI.apk and do the testing? I would just about kill to have the brightness slider on mine, but it is not part of the Verizon rom.
Everyone is trying to get the sliders off and im trying to get them on. All I really want is the brightness slider too.

staulkor
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:

PM me a link to the Verizon one and I can take a quick look before I head off to sleep (work in the morning). I found quite a few references to "vzw" things in my APK so it wouldnt surprise me that is is simply disabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdabbs View Post
I assume this fix file will work on the Tmobile, ATT and Sprint versions?

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Sounds like its so much easier to copy these files and change permissions to 644 (rw-r--r--) using root explorer than to use adb commands.
I don't think so, but I don't really know. All the carriers modified the UI a bit so I dont really know if they are interchangeable. If you really want to try, just make sure you have a backup of the stock apk and odex file!
--too many phones to list--
The Following User Says Thank You to staulkor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ericdabbs
Old
Thanks Meter 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by staulkor View Post
PM me a link to the Verizon one and I can take a quick look before I head off to sleep (work in the morning). I found quite a few references to "vzw" things in my APK so it wouldnt surprise me that is is simply disabled.

I don't think so, but I don't really know. All the carriers modified the UI a bit so I dont really know if they are interchangeable. If you really want to try, just make sure you have a backup of the stock apk and odex file!
The Verizon version doesn't have the sound bar and brightness bar issue in stock version. Verizon has a slightly modified version of the software. Now I don't know if there is a way to add the brightness slider on the Verizon version.

This sound and brightness slider issue affects the international versions of the G2 which are on ATT, Sprint and Tmobile. Hopefully someone with an ATT version can try this fix out and see if this works.

burningembers
Old
Thanks Meter 184
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter21026 View Post
Everyone is trying to get the sliders off and im trying to get them on. All I really want is the brightness slider too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdabbs View Post
The Verizon version doesn't have the sound bar and brightness bar issue in stock version. Verizon has a slightly modified version of the software. Now I don't know if there is a way to add the brightness slider on the Verizon version.

This sound and brightness slider issue affects the international versions of the G2 which are on ATT, Sprint and Tmobile. Hopefully someone with an ATT version can try this fix out and see if this works.
Re: AT&T see my other thread here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2453457

I poked around the Verizon xml's and smali code and found pretty much a carbon copy of what is in AT&T's. It actually surprises me based on a cursory look that Verizon's volume slider isn't enabled, because as best I can tell it should be. On the plus side, all the code for tracking changes to it and updating it and what-have-you are in the code. So it appears to be fully implemented behind the scenes...just not displaying, apparently.

As far as the brightness slider goes, same story, I *think* it is just a matter of flipping a couple const's in the OperatorFeature.smali

Unfortunately, my VZW framework files are a little borked for some reason so I can't get a full decompile/compile and also have no phone to test against, alas.

hosmsdos
Old
Thanks Meter 51
will this work on international version?

JTNiggle
Old
Thanks Meter 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by burningembers View Post
Re: AT&T see my other thread here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2453457

I poked around the Verizon xml's and smali code and found pretty much a carbon copy of what is in AT&T's. It actually surprises me based on a cursory look that Verizon's volume slider isn't enabled, because as best I can tell it should be. On the plus side, all the code for tracking changes to it and updating it and what-have-you are in the code. So it appears to be fully implemented behind the scenes...just not displaying, apparently.

As far as the brightness slider goes, same story, I *think* it is just a matter of flipping a couple const's in the OperatorFeature.smali

Unfortunately, my VZW framework files are a little borked for some reason so I can't get a full decompile/compile and also have no phone to test against, alas.
If you or anyone wants to work on this for the Verizon guys, here's my systemUI and framework.

LGG2-SystemUI.zip

LGG2-system/framework.zip
LG VX9800 - LG VX9900 - BB 8100 - Touch Pro - Touch Pro 2 - Hero - Evo 4G - Evo 3D - Incredible 2 - Bionic - Rezound - DNA - LG G2