[Q] Need help please :( SIM unlock on UK phone

Search This thread

BorgCymru

Feb 14, 2007
Aberystwyth
Broke my S2 so got a Note 2 gt-n7105

It's not on the right network though and I need it sorting PDQ as my Dad is in hospital :(

I've watched the 'ROOT' video but the link below 404s

I have Oden but would like a working walk through to root and SIM unlock.

Bit frantic here so bear with me.

Thanks

Last edited:

s0xiik

Dec 26, 2013
Noertzange
What version Android are you running? Depending on what, you can use an easy way to root your device.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

BorgCymru

Feb 14, 2007
Aberystwyth
What version Android are you running? Depending on what, you can use an easy way to root your device.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

Its the SIM unlock I'm having biggest problems with. Its running 4.1.2 but the method on here *#1973 etc doesn't seem to work. I managed to get it rooted. Put CWM touch on and downgraded the ROM as it said but still can't unlock it.

Thanks.

s0xiik

Dec 26, 2013
Noertzange
Did you talk with your current mobile operator? Usually you can get the unlock code from your provider. If not let me know :)

XDA developer App. Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100. Using CyanogenMod 10.2.

BorgCymru

Feb 14, 2007
Aberystwyth
Ahh now heres the problem :)

I can't phone them as the phone won't work :)

catch 22 again.

I can't get 4.1.1 (stock or Cooked) as its all hotfile links and all are dead.

s0xiik

Dec 26, 2013
Noertzange
Try first this: (downgrading BTW doesn't help here a quote from CyanogenMod:
CyanogenMod, however, does not "unlock" the device. Most carriers "lock" their handsets to prevent customers from buying a handset and moving to a different carrier. Carriers depend on these "exclusivity" agreements to bolster revenue. For example: if you buy an iPhone in the US, you are stuck with AT&T or Verizon, whichever you bought from. To use the handset on another carrier's network it would be necessary to "unlock" the handset. This is done with a code based on the IMEI of the handset that can be provided by your carrier or firms on the internet that are slightly more reliable than a Nigerian Prince.

Unlocking cannot be done by installing CyanogenMod, or any other firmware for that matter.
)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2014982

BorgCymru

Feb 14, 2007
Aberystwyth
Yes I understand that :)

The instructions to SIM unlock are

Downgrade to 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 and use a *~ code to access the network lock menu. But it seems 'some' 4.1.2 don't give full access to the menu.

4.1.1 does, but I can't find it anywhere , hotfile problem :)

I'm not trying to SIM unlock with the firmware but trying to find a firmware that allows SIM unlocking though the dev menu.

I should imagine thats what the input code option when it boots does.

s0xiik

Dec 26, 2013
Noertzange
Look at this site.
http://sampro.pl/firmware/android/samsung-gt-n7105/

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

Or
http://samsung-updates.com/

BE AWARE OF THE COUNTRY!!!! Do this on your own risk! If you aren't sure, please go to the provider store to get the code!!

BorgCymru

Feb 14, 2007
Aberystwyth

s0xiik

Dec 26, 2013
Noertzange
Samsung has a "Region-Lock" some custom ROMs remove this lock, so I think you must use a UK version. Else it won't work!

[…] For example, a SIM-free Galaxy Note 3 is purchased in Europe, the first SIM card inserted in the device must be from a carrier that operates in the particular region. It doesn’t matter if the carrier doesn’t operate in the particular country where the device is bought from, it just need to operate in one of the countries in the entire region. […] Those who end up with a region locked device in a different region and can’t use a SIM to deactivate region lock, they can go to a Samsung care center and get it deactivated, it is not known if there are any costs associated with this or if it would have to be proved where the device has been purchased from. […]

s0xiik

Dec 26, 2013
Noertzange
What operator do you have? Orange or another?

BorgCymru

Feb 14, 2007
Aberystwyth
The SIM is Tesco/O2

The phone wasn't branded so no idea on that. I'm now waiting the 1 hour to download the UK Vodafone 4.1.2 rom to see if that might help as I have no idea what the one on there now is based on.

s0xiik

Dec 26, 2013
Noertzange
You should for the best go to the store and have it unlocked.

BorgCymru

Feb 14, 2007
Aberystwyth
I've found a working UK 4.1.1 ROM. Probably that last working one in the world :)

I'm going to see how I go about downgrading the ROM now. If I put CWM touch on and can I do it through that. I'm not sure if you can downgrade with a higher recovery system.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    People have likely ignored your topic because...
    1. You have used a generic useless title instead of descriptive of topic.
    2. You want spoon feeding.
    XDA been playing up today I'll do the How To tomorrow now. It will be 'How I did it' as I know that worked.