[Q] What data does a base Android and/or Cyanogenmod install send out?

Search This thread

UniTaskerExplorer

Jan 7, 2014
I have a tablet where I installed CyanogenMod 10.1.

When running the tablet through a network analyzer and to my surprise, several packets were being sent out to not only Google (disappointing but not surprising) but also Cyanogenmod.org! This tablet has no Cyanogenmod account attached to it nor any other accounts except the local user attached to it.

Here is a sample of what I noticed.

1) When first connecting to Wifi, CM Updater sends some data to an IP correlated to cyanogenmod.org
2) After installing any APK file, CyanogenMod Account sends some data to an IP correlated to cyanogenmod.org
3) For no apparent reason, during mild usage, CyanogenMod, CM Updater, and an unknown application sends some data to an IP correlated to cyanogenmod.org as well as to Google.

What data is being sent to both Google and CyanogenMod? Why is the tablet sending data to CyanogenMod as well? What is being collected? How do I stop ANY and ALL data from being sent out?

I disabled automatic network time update but I'm not sure what else to update. I also disabled CM Update but that seems to be only temporary. CyanogenMod Account app cannot be disabled.

Reactions: Eitone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a tablet where I installed CyanogenMod 10.1.

When running the tablet through a network analyzer and to my surprise, several packets were being sent out to not only Google (disappointing but not surprising) but also Cyanogenmod.org! This tablet has no Cyanogenmod account attached to it nor any other accounts except the local user attached to it.

Here is a sample of what I noticed.

1) When first connecting to Wifi, CM Updater sends some data to an IP correlated to cyanogenmod.org
    2) After installing any APK file, CyanogenMod Account sends some data to an IP correlated to cyanogenmod.org
    3) For no apparent reason, during mild usage, CyanogenMod, CM Updater, and an unknown application sends some data to an IP correlated to cyanogenmod.org as well as to Google.

What data is being sent to both Google and CyanogenMod? Why is the tablet sending data to CyanogenMod as well? What is being collected? How do I stop ANY and ALL data from being sent out?

I disabled automatic network time update but I'm not sure what else to update. I also disabled CM Update but that seems to be only temporary. CyanogenMod Account app cannot be disabled.