5,594,077 Members 46,463 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

VB or C# for new dev

Tip us?

anthonykash
Old
(Last edited by anthonykash; 10th August 2013 at 05:37 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Default VB or C# for new dev

I'm a network admin who wants to start developing windows apps. I have a Masters in IT, but no coding experience. I had to take a C class, but didn't understand it. Should I learn VB or C#? I understand C# is superior, but I'm new and don't understand the concepts. I know they both use .net and I'm wondering if VB would be a good way to start or a waste of time? Thanks

Sent from my RM-893_nam_tmous_201 using Tapatalk

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2463
First of all, if you remember *anything* from C, C# will be more familiar.
Second, in terms of an employable skill in the job market, C# is more valuable; not only is it in greater demand in general, it's also closer to both C++ and Java, both of which are in very high demand.
Third, while VB.NET is a perfectly reasonable modern language with plenty of nice features, that modernization + same anachonisms it has held onto has led to it reaching a state that I consider no easier to learn than C#, so between the two of them I'd certainly recommend C#.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

rootfan
Old
Thanks Meter 100
I can not say that I have personally done a lot of vb development, but based upon what I have seen of it, I would certainly recommend c#. C# is quite similar to other powerful languages such as c++ and Java, so after developing a solid understanding of c#, getting familiar with these other languages will be a breeze. It provides the best integration with the .net framework, and has simple and easy to understand syntax. I think that c# is more of a replacement for VB than anything anyways, and as such, learning c# is the best way to go

If this message helped you, or you appreciate me taking the time, then smash that thanks button like a crazy spider running across your floor
My Devices-
Nexus 10 on CM10.1
Asus Nexus 7 stock with 1.5 GHz oc
Verizon Galaxy Nexus on cm10.1
Nexus S 4G on cm10.1 @ 1.2 ghz
Microsoft Surface running windows 8.1

mcosmin222
Old
Thanks Meter 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootfan View Post
I can not say that I have personally done a lot of vb development, but based upon what I have seen of it, I would certainly recommend c#. C# is quite similar to other powerful languages such as c++ and Java, so after developing a solid understanding of c#, getting familiar with these other languages will be a breeze. It provides the best integration with the .net framework, and has simple and easy to understand syntax. I think that c# is more of a replacement for VB than anything anyways, and as such, learning c# is the best way to go

If this message helped you, or you appreciate me taking the time, then smash that thanks button like a crazy spider running across your floor
Java and C# only have in common the common object class and similar syntax to some extend.
C# is way more powerful than java and comes close to C++ as far as complexity is concerned.

Taurenking
Old
Thanks Meter 22
C# all the way. The way it is built and the constructs of the language itself, makes it easy to learn and enjoyable to code with. And I've use both Java and VB in a little enviroment

Sony Xperia J --- Why? Because FU, That's Why! xD Stock ROM

elyl
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Functionally, there's no difference between C# and VB.NET. Anything you can do in C# you can also do in VB.NET. The syntax of VB is much easier, and is overall more easily picked up, but C# is more common, and more useful in the industry.
If you look at code samples a lot, and use C#<>VB.ET converters, you can pick up the syntax of both of them, so even if you found a code sample in VB you'd be able to work out how to code it in C# easily.

jordanmills
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I used to hack exclusively in BASIC and VB. Now I work pretty much exclusively in C# (and the very similar powershell) and would encourage anyone else to use it too. It's FAR more useful than anything BASIC.

GoodDayToDie
Old
(Last edited by GoodDayToDie; 13th January 2014 at 09:58 AM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2463
VB.NET and C# are virtually identical in capability (the both compile to MSIL that is processed by , so in terms of what you can do with them, they are equally useful. The main differences are how easily you can do certain things. With that said, though, C# (as a "C-like" language much like the very widely used C++ and Java languages) is more professionally useful that VB.NET (which is a "BASIC-like" language, a language family that is dying out in the professional world).
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

issak42
Old
Thanks Meter 78
C# is almost identical to Java, and Java is very popular now. If you learn C# very well, learning Java is a matter of hours away and then you can easily port apps to android too
Nokia Lumia 925 16GB
Nexus 7 32GB, 4.4.2 stock, rooted, Xposed installed
Sony Ericsson Arc S, 4.0 .587, rooted

Dropbox for you: http://db.tt/Qk80xRg 500MB extra for both of us.