XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung galaxy s I9000 BATTERY BOOT LOOP help

Tip us?

supersteve939
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Samsung galaxy s I9000 BATTERY BOOT LOOP help

Hey guys, recently I've been having a problem with my battery. I've tried different roms and still have the same problem.
if the battery is fully charged, half etc and the phone is restarted, the battery screen shows up and shows an empty battery, turns off, restarts and shows the empty battery screen again, turns off, restarts and keeps doing this until I plug the charger in. once I plug it in, the battery shows full, or what ever the current charge is and phone starts up fine again.

I've noticed that sometimes the battery percentage goes up without being on charge or even sticks at a percentage for a few hours then drops a lot.

Has anyone else had this problem or know how to solve?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda app-developers app

supersteve939
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersteve939 View Post
Hey guys, recently I've been having a problem with my battery. I've tried different roms and still have the same problem.
if the battery is fully charged, half etc and the phone is restarted, the battery screen shows up and shows an empty battery, turns off, restarts and shows the empty battery screen again, turns off, restarts and keeps doing this until I plug the charger in. once I plug it in, the battery shows full, or what ever the current charge is and phone starts up fine again.

I've noticed that sometimes the battery percentage goes up without being on charge or even sticks at a percentage for a few hours then drops a lot.

Has anyone else had this problem or know how to solve?

I have found alot on my problem surfing through the forums with many saying they have solved the problem by flashing CM10 mod. Another that i found was a flash with "param.lfs". Apparently this solves boot problems but I cant see how to use this file.

Any help with a step by step guide or just any help at all is very much appreciated

xsenman
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2136
Quote:
Any help with a step by step guide or just any help at all is very much appreciated
just select it as PDA and flash with Odin3 , download from My Android Solutions
The Following User Says Thank You to xsenman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

supersteve939
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for your reply, param fix didn't solve my problem. The first rom I installed ( before I found the wonderful world of xda developers ) was this one:

aokp_galaxysmtd_jb_build-2.zip

Which I got from a site called "ibtimes"

(I've tried to post the exact link but I need to make 10 posts within the forums to get this option)

Since then I've had this battery boot loop problem. Restart works fine, but power off and powering back up gives this infinite boot loop. is it possible that this first rom has corrupted my phone?

xsenman
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2136
Quote:
is it possible that this first rom has corrupted my phone?
Doubt it, it would more be due to wrong flashing procedures , anyway have a number of options to get over bootloops in My Android Solutions

But First powerdown, pull out Battery, SIM CARD, and EXT.SD card, press power button for a minute, than powerup without SIM and Ext.SD Card...make sure you have more than 50% battery charge before you attempt any sort of flashing.
The Following User Says Thank You to xsenman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

supersteve939
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I have looked in depth through the "My Android Solutions" and tried flashing a 512.pit and also tried a new semephore kernel without success, I still had the battery bootloop.

My phone does work if started with charger plugged in but its a worry if im out and about and the phone dies. theres no way i can restart it without the charger boost.

so.....

Im looking at the Recovery Kit now.

"i9000 Rescue Rescue Kit for i9000 using heimdall packed by ldq"

I have never used heimdall and the files within the rescue kit are confusing to know how to use them correctly.
I have looked within the forums for a "how to" guide using Heimdall but it feels like its over my head, and to be honest, it seems that if i make any kind of mistake i could hard brick my phone which scares me

A total NOOB guide would be so greatly appreciated, or if there are any other solutions besides using the rescue kit Id love to know about them.

Thank you very much for your assistance

xsenman
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2136
Quote:
I
I have never used heimdall and the files within the rescue kit are confusing to know how to use them correctly.
You can use the EZbase with root or Darkys, it uses Odin and has guide , all of them are rescue kits or even a JVU upgrade ROM (also mentioned in the top)

supersteve939
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I tried quite a few stock roms with the same result, darkys 10.2 EE and darkys 11, 4.0.4 ICS and again same results. This morning I went back to the GB stock rom ( " I9000XXJVU_I9000OXAJVU_OXA " with root file " CF-Root-XX_OXA_JVU_2.3.6-v4.3-CWM3RFS " ) and had the same results, battery screen bootloop after power down.

however...

After 7 hours normal use i powered the phone down and powered back up ( thinking another vain attempt ready to see the dreaded battery loop screen again ) and found the problem had completely cleared!!! Phone started like it normally should!!!

Very strange. I was ready to try a new battery and now there is no need. I'll keep powering down and powering up over the next 24 hours with different charge percentages to make sure the problem has 100% cleared it's self.

Will post back in 24 hours to confirm for anyone interested.

Thanks for the guidance xsenman, seems as though going to and from different roms with the 3 wipes each time actually solved the problem!!!

supersteve939
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Too hasty with my last post.
Phone has started looping up at boot again with empty battery screen.

Tried another battery with the same results.

For it to work for most of the day normally booting up and to suddenly start playing up again leads me to believe that its some kind of battery stat problem.. maybe??

it powered down and powered up again fine from 100% full down to around 16%. lower than 16% and the phone looped with empty battery screen on powerup.

The battery percentage jumps quite alot after a restart, sometimes as much as 40%

surely it has to be battery stats being messed up?????

There are alot of procedures to reset battery stats on the net and a few in these forums.
I'll give some a try.

If anyone has a sure way to reset batt stats then i'd like to know please.

Thanks to anyone with help.

xsenman
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2136
suggest you clean your Battery contacts on phone and Battery with cleaning alcohol and try to keep battery firmly in place with scotch tape or folded paper and give it a try