Originally Posted by Grimroid
I want to root my Xoom and us a custom Rom. I was thinking that I would ask a couple of questions before I do it.
I WILL NOT HOLD ANYONE RESONSABLE FOR THEIR COMMENTS OR ADVICE IF I BRICK MY XOOM!!
I was going to add to a couple of possible forum, but I thought it may be better to start a new question.
1) What do you get when you root your Xoom?
2) What is the advantage for using a custom ROM.?
3) If I use a custom Rom will it improve my Xoom performance?
4) What ROM would you use?
5) Where can I go to get the files and information on what to do?
6) Does the ROM get updates?
7) Do you overclock you Xoom when you us custom ROM?
8) What is the latest version of Android come with Custom ROM?
I love my Xoom and would like to get the most out of it
I don't claim these as facts but just from my experiences and readings.
1. rooting elevates your rights on the Android system. It's equivalent to admin for windows. If you want to know what advantages rooting provides google it as there are many written articles about that.
2. I wouldn't say it's an advantage but just provides more options and features. This varies depending on ROM.
3. It would depend on what version you are on now and chances are, the answer would be, not really. The kernel for the xoom is still the same one from 4.1 which is where the performance gains / loses come from. Although some ROMS are able to minimize in the UI. If you are coming from honeycomb then yes there is noticeable performance gains.
4. I'm currently using EOS 4 Build 197 Bigpart with Elemental bigpart Kernel. There is a kitkat ROM out now however, it's wingray only. Waiting for the possibility of stingray. But like i mentioned before, until someone can update our kernel don't expect any real performance changes.
5. Use the link the last guy provided or just check the development forum. The How to is usually the top most post.
6. Currently the only ROM getting any support / updates is the new Kitkat ROM for wingray (wifi only). How long... depends on how long the developer remains interested. They do it all for free so how frequently is when they feel like working on it.
7. Yes, i overclock to 1600mhz max makes a difference.