Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,401 Members 38,716 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] NEC Medias W N-05E root? (dual screen phone)

Tip us?

bohemianRhapsody
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Smile [Q] NEC Medias W N-05E root? (dual screen phone)

Hi!

Is there a root available or in the works for the dual-screen NEC Medias W N-05E?

The question has been asked (no answer so far) at the end of a thread under the N-05D but that's a quite different model.
I'd like to create a separate thread for this model to give it more visibility. Hope that's ok!

Thanks in advance!

bohemianRhapsody
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemianRhapsody View Post
Hi!

Is there a root available or in the works for the dual-screen NEC Medias W N-05E?

The question has been asked (no answer so far) at the end of a thread under the N-05D but that's a quite different model.
I'd like to create a separate thread for this model to give it more visibility. Hope that's ok!

Thanks in advance!
OK! I've made some progress on this: the japanese blogger "dupondroid" appears to say that run_root_shell (hosted at github)
successfully gives temp root. At least, that's my necessarily blurry understanding via google translate. Would any japanese readers here be able to post a better translation?

And a thread at r-2ch dot com links to the github commit in run_root_shell which made that possible: it's commit ID 811be8639aed64c158798a72a1d520a4d21e8b8b "Support N-05E"

Code:
Select Code
+  { "N-05E",  "A1000311",    0xc0094430, 0xc0093ebc }
So it definitely seems temp root is possible.
Sorry for the lack of links but I'm a new user so can't add them for now.

it0
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default root is easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemianRhapsody View Post
OK! I've made some progress on this: the japanese blogger "dupondroid" appears to say that run_root_shell (hosted at github)
successfully gives temp root. At least, that's my necessarily blurry understanding via google translate. Would any japanese readers here be able to post a better translation?

And a thread at r-2ch dot com links to the github commit in run_root_shell which made that possible: it's commit ID 811be8639aed64c158798a72a1d520a4d21e8b8b "Support N-05E"

Code:
Select Code
+  { "N-05E",  "A1000311",    0xc0094430, 0xc0093ebc }
So it definitely seems temp root is possible.
Sorry for the lack of links but I'm a new user so can't add them for now.
root is easy via a tool called impactor.

however it's only temporary, I couldn't get /system mounted for rw. so I made a new recovery image to push.
that didn't work either, although I cannot write to recovery there is no error. recoverybkp was successful.

Also I found that the code to enter in recovery mode is based on your imei.
If I remember correctly digit 2,12,13,14 of your imei.

So possible attack vectors are:
1) kernel module to unlock partitions
2) figure out how update.dat files are constructed.
3) write to recovery partition