Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,111 Members 47,831 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[INFO][Who is Spying & Monitoring you] Google removes privacy feature from Android

Tip us?

xsenman
Old
(Last edited by xsenman; 13th March 2014 at 11:42 AM.) Reason: update
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 2208
Info 2 [INFO][Who is Spying & Monitoring you] Google removes privacy feature from Android

Index of posts:-

Google removes privacy feature from Android, says inclusion was an accident

US judge says NSA phone data snooping probably illegal

Secret contract tied NSA and security industry pioneer

NSA mass collection of phone data is legal, federal judge rules

Top Secret NSA catalog reveals US government has been secretly back dooring equipment from US companies including Dell, Cisco, Juniper, IBM, Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor and more, risking enormous damage to US tech sector.

NSA can gain complete access to iPhones, but Apple denies it helped install spyware

Facebook faces lawsuit for allegedly scanning private messages

Officials: Obama Likely to OK Phone Record Changes

NSA able to target offline computers using radio-waves for surveillance, cyber-attacks

NSA 'collected 200m texts per day'

How intelligence is gathered

NSA spying through Angry Birds, Google Maps, leaked documents reportedly reveal

Quantumbot. & Facebook server

Other Referenced Articles
FBI Can Remotely Activate Your Android Phone Mic or Laptop Cameras: Report

WSJ: The FBI can remotely flip on Android phone mics to record conversations

can government really listen in on phones, even while off?

Why Google force all to sync the data/ why Google wants to enter in everybody's life?

FEMA Implements “Special Chip” In Cell Phones to Send Out Alerts

When you search Google,

Selling Secrets of Phone Users to Advertisers

Google Now figured out where I work

My Android Phone is Communicating with the DoD Network Information Center.

Google removes privacy feature from Android, says inclusion was an accident

Reuters, December 16, 2013 source

Quote:
Google Inc has removed an experimental privacy feature from its Android mobile software that had allowed users to block apps from collecting personal information such as address book data and a user's location.The change means that owners of smartphones using Android 4.4.2, the latest version of the world's most popular operating system for mobile devices released this week, must provide access to their personal data in order to use certain apps.
A company spokesman said the feature had been included by accident in Android 4.3, the version released last summer.
"We are suspicious of this explanation, and do not think that it in any way justifies removing the feature rather than improving it," said Peter Eckersley, technology projects director at the Electronic Frontier Foundation. The digital rights website first publicized the change in a blog post on Friday.
<sniped> read full article from source link above

Quote:
Privacy has become an increasingly important issue as smartphones, which are loaded with consumers' personal information, become the primary computing device for many consumers. In November Google agreed to pay a $17 million fine to settle allegations that it secretly tracked Web users by placing special digital files on the Web browsers of their smartphones.
© Thomson Reuters 2013

klau1
Old
Thanks Meter 353
yes, this was featured on Reddit.

What is Google thinking? Is pulling this stunt amidst the largest NSA scandal really such a great idea?

Either Google isn't thinking, or Google knows we aren't thinking.

Please Thanks if it helped!

Tablet:
Kernel Version:
Build number:
Modifications:

xsenman
Old
Thanks Meter 2208
Quote:
Originally Posted by klau1 View Post
Either Google isn't thinking, or Google knows we aren't thinking.
For me, its WE, who are not thinking, as I recall when Google was in its infancy, they were able to offer to every individual who took up their free email offer, so much space ( when NO one else would offer it) on their servers and tell us NOT to delete anything. ( they will manage it)

which makes one wonder why? They don't want you to delete and NOTHING gets truly deleted, as every aspect of your life is of some importance to them. So NSA, Google , seem to have the same or share the SAME objective IMHO.

Recently on the pretext of mapping they were collecting data from unencrypted Wi-Fi signals in 30 countries Read this

xsenman
Old
Thanks Meter 2208
US judge says NSA phone data snooping probably illegal

AFP SOURCE

Quote:
By Guillaume DECAMME (AFP) – 50 minutes ago
Washington — A US judge struck a first blow against the National Security Agency's bulk collection of phone records Monday, ruling it breaches citizens' privacy to an "almost Orwellian" degree that is probably unconstitutional.
The scathing ruling by a federal judge in Washington was stayed pending appeal, but if upheld it could lead to the spy agency being barred from indiscriminately gathering metadata on millions of private calls.

klau1
Old
Thanks Meter 353
They haven't made a ruling yet, it's just "PROBABLY" unconstitutional.

Tablet:
Kernel Version:
Build number:
Modifications:

xsenman
Old
Thanks Meter 2208
Quote:
They haven't made a ruling yet, it's just "PROBABLY" unconstitutional.
yap that's why
Quote:
was stayed pending appeal, but if upheld
But it starts the ball rolling , read
Obama to meet with tech execs to talk NSA

klau1
Old
Thanks Meter 353
I'm getting quite tired of this. Apple apparently let's users choose the permission at the moment the program requests for it. So it's not all or nothing like Android.

Pathetic

Tablet:
Kernel Version:
Build number:
Modifications:

xsenman
Old
Thanks Meter 2208
Quote:
I'm getting quite tired of this. Apple apparently let's users choose the permission at the moment the program requests for it. So it's not all or nothing like Android. Pathetic
There's more to it, than just allowing or disallowing permissions ( are more false flags) , what has been embedded into the system is something that we will not know when it concerns apple or for that matter any smart phone. Read this

klau1
Old
Thanks Meter 353
I'm aware that the baseband modem partition is basically an independent OS.

I think this will become less and less of a concern as users upgrade to DATA based texting solutions like BBM, What's App which is independent of the compromised GSM system.

Same with Voice, we are moving towards Data based solutions like Google Voice and the countless other VoIP solutions based on TCP/IP Data Packets, abandoning GSM reliance, we should no longer be compromised by the insecure GSM technology.

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

I'm not really sure I understand this part:

Quote:
and you can remotely turn on microphones, cameras, place rootkits, place calls/send SMS messages to expensive numbers, and so on. Yes, you can even brick phones permanently.
http://www.osnews.com/story/27416/Th...y_mobile_phone

Isn't the baseband only incharge of the GSM modem? Why does it need access to Cameras and main storage partitions?

Tablet:
Kernel Version:
Build number:
Modifications:

xsenman
Old
Thanks Meter 2208
Quote:
I'm not really sure I understand this part:http://www.osnews.com/story/27416/Th...y_mobile_phone Isn't the baseband only incharge of the GSM modem? Why does it need access to Cameras and main storage partitions?
well basically the way I would conclude is , the modem acts only as the trigger to boot other aspects of the phone (even if its powered OFF), which can be retrieved / activated by and with such a tracking technology . So its just not a GSM loophole but an all inclusive tracking technology.