Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,106 Members 41,799 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Fix for "Couldn't install on USB Storage or SD card" on CM11?

Tip us?

skullman012291
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Fix for "Couldn't install on USB Storage or SD card" on CM11?

Hey everyone,

I decided to make the jump from albinoman's CM10.2 to CM11 on my Raider (Rogers variant) a few days ago and for the most part I'm very impressed on how it runs. Big props go out to albinoman for all of his hard work on this device

One problem that I noticed though is that some apps won't install from the Play Store and I get hit with an error line stating "Couldn't install on USB Storage or SD card". I hadn't seen this error before and the apps worked with no issues back on 10.2

I read in a different thread for the GS2 that one way to fix this is to install SELinuxModeChanger which would change the permission back to "Permissive" (the 4.3 standard) instead of "Enforcing" (the 4.4 standard). I tried this, but it didn't work. Maybe it's just for Samsung devices, but for what's it worth, that doesn't make a difference here.

I'm running the 01062014 build with the Full Modular GApps package (if that makes a difference) and I'm S-ON. Apart from this issue, I've also found that the default camera app FC every time (focal works about 50%, photos with rear camera works, creates videos but can't play them, etc.) and MMS doesn't get sent/received (but those are stories for another time and yes, I flash the boot.img from every new build EVERY TIME).

I have ample room on my SD card and on my internal storage to install them (details are in the screenshots), but it's still a mystery as to why they don't install...

It's not a big deal that these apps don't install, they're nothing important, just some games that I can play on other devices, but I was just wondering if people were aware of this issue and if so, how long a fix could potentially take.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-06-17-03-36.png
Views:	341
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	2502556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-06-17-04-01.png
Views:	315
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	2502557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-06-17-04-50.png
Views:	270
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	2502558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-06-17-05-05.png
Views:	254
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	2502559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-06-17-05-22.png
Views:	227
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	2502560  

projectisaac
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Hey dude, I've had the same issues with CM 11, most notably the xda developers app would not install. I'm installing the 1-12-2014 build (came out today), which is supposed to fix both this issue and the camera issue. My phone is currently getting all of its apps reinstalled, so in a couple of minutes I'll give it a shot and see if it did the trick. Fingers crossed that this fixes my netflix issue too!

---------- Post added at 01:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 AM ----------

Sweet! The new CM 11 build fixed the issue! Sorry for the new post instead of an edit, I don't know how to edit on the app.

Sent from my Vivid 4G using xda app-developers app

skullman012291
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
That's great news!

BTW, did you restore anything when you installed the Jan 12th build? For instance, did you make a backup of the data partition in TWRP (or whichever recovery you use) and then restore that after you installed the 2014/01/12 build, or did you just go clean and install everything new?

Hope to hear back soon!
The Following User Says Thank You to skullman012291 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

projectisaac
Old
(Last edited by projectisaac; 13th January 2014 at 11:36 PM.)
Thanks Meter 20
I just made a backup of my installed APps using "app backup and restore" and backed up my apex launcher settings and desktop data. Then I did a clean install ( wipe data, cache, and dalvik cache), and restored my alpha and speed settings. Just manually inputted everything else

My Netflix issue was not resolved, but that's just because apparently kitkat doesn't play nice with Netflix. We just need to wait for an app update.

Edit: sorry for the excessive thanks, i'm still getting used to the xda app.

skullman012291
Old
(Last edited by skullman012291; 14th January 2014 at 07:30 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
So I tried the Jan. 12th build and it's pretty nice. But that isn't to say that I don't have any new issues.

I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong, but Gmail is not being synced up. I checked my sync settings and it notes that the last time it synced was yesterday at 11:08 AM (the last time before I switched from builds). Not only that, but I'm not receiving notifications when I do get emails (probably because my emails aren't syncing...).

Apart from that, the cLock widget doesn't survive after a reboot. Upon the first boot, it was on there and I configured it to my liking. Then whenever I turn off or reboot my phone, the widget disappears from my homescreen and I have to manually replace it. I'm not sure if it makes much difference, but I'm using the launcher3 instead of the default Google Launcher and I've resized my rows/columns to 4/5, respectively. The widget never disappeared on earlier builds (or on 10.2), but it does on this one...

Anyone else have similar issues to what I'm experiencing?

But besides those, the camera works great, so that's one issue solved

Oh, and I should probably mention that if I tell my phone to sync all my Google information, the spinning sync wheel doesn't move at all. I'm not sure if the same result happens when I try to sync Facebook and receive notifications, but that's less of an issue for me.

projectisaac
Old
Thanks Meter 20
I placed the clock widget on one of my screens, and it survived after reboot, so in thinking CM11 isn't playing nice with launcher3 ( i'm using apex launcher). I also don't appear to have any issues syncing with gmail, so I don't know what's going on with that. Sorry I can't be of more help

max13b2
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I'm having an issue w/ mounting/formatting the internal sd card on CM11. Anyone know how to fix this? All was working well til the last update of Kitkat and I get an error when I try to format it in recovery.

projectisaac
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by max13b2 View Post
I'm having an issue w/ mounting/formatting the internal sd card on CM11. Anyone know how to fix this? All was working well til the last update of Kitkat and I get an error when I try to format it in recovery.
What's the error you get? And I assume you're using ClockWorkMod recovery (WCX)?

skullman012291
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectisaac View Post
I placed the clock widget on one of my screens, and it survived after reboot, so in thinking CM11 isn't playing nice with launcher3 ( i'm using apex launcher). I also don't appear to have any issues syncing with gmail, so I don't know what's going on with that. Sorry I can't be of more help

It could very well be the case that the clock widget and launcher3 have some compatibility issues. I haven't tried apex launcher or any other launcher (nova also comes to mind), so I can't say with 100% accuracy that it is the fault of launcher3. It won't hurt to try different launchers though, so I'll do that and give an update when I get a chance.

As for the Gmail sync issue that I have, I read this from albinoman's CM11 thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalas1981
First attempt, just a reboot, didn't work.

Second attempt, turned off all Google Sync services in the System Settings, Reboot, Opened Gmail, Manual Sync, then re-enabled all Google Sync services again -> And everything magically start working again

My call volume seems fine, and everything else seems to be working except MMS as noted before.
I'll give this a shot as well and see if it changes anything. But before I do that, I want to try out the Jan. 17 build that's up now and see if these issues are resolved automatically

max13b2
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectisaac View Post
What's the error you get? And I assume you're using ClockWorkMod recovery (WCX)?
Yes, I'm using WCX recovery and the error I get is:

can't mount /dev/block/mmcb1k0p36 (Invalid argument)
Error mounting /internal_sdcard/!
Skipping form

Any help would be appreciated!