FORUMS

Android 5.1.1 Omni ROM For Motorola Xoom

Back in Feb 2011, the Motorola Xoom became the first device to be sold with Android 3.0 … more

CleanSlate Brings Fingerprint Scanner Mod to HTC One M9+

Work of XDA Recognized Developer tbalden, CleanSlate custom kernel for the HTC … more

Sunday Debate: Which Factors Caused HTC’s Woes?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on HTC’s situation. Come with your … more

HTC’s New Ad Campaign And What It Really Means

HTC has just released three new blind test adverts comparing app loading … more

[Q] Restore stock kernal (MDK) and keep root?

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 1
 
By ww15, Junior Member on 7th January 2014, 05:04 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I have an S4 on VZW (build MDK) that I rooted and installed CWM on. I believe I used the procedure here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2290798).

I want to restore the phone back to stock but still keep root and CWM. Can I just flash the stock VRUAMDK kernel with Odin? Will I lose root and/or the custom recovery? I tried searching but couldn't find a definitive answer on whether or not I will lose root by just flashing the MDK kernal on an already rooted device.

If so, how do I proceed? Would I need to start over by flashing the VRUAMD2 prerelease kernel > root > flash VRUAMDK > then custom recovery?

Thanks.
 
 
10th January 2014, 12:50 AM |#2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
any harm in trying the second option at least?
10th January 2014, 03:00 AM |#3  
k1mu's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 1,597
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ww15

I have an S4 on VZW (build MDK) that I rooted and installed CWM on. I believe I used the procedure here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2290798).

I want to restore the phone back to stock but still keep root and CWM. Can I just flash the stock VRUAMDK kernel with Odin? Will I lose root and/or the custom recovery? I tried searching but couldn't find a definitive answer on whether or not I will lose root by just flashing the MDK kernal on an already rooted device.

If so, how do I proceed? Would I need to start over by flashing the VRUAMD2 prerelease kernel > root > flash VRUAMDK > then custom recovery?

Thanks.

Yes, you can flash the stock MDK. You'll lose root but can re-root using Loki (MD2 prerelease - > MDK).
10th January 2014, 04:42 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1mu

Yes, you can flash the stock MDK. You'll lose root but can re-root using Loki (MD2 prerelease - > MDK).

Thanks k1, but pardon my ignorance or misreading your response, but don't I use loki to get CWM back, and use the motochopper method to get root back?
11th January 2014, 12:33 AM |#5  
k1mu's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 1,597
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ww15

Thanks k1, but pardon my ignorance or misreading your response, but don't I use loki to get CWM back, and use the motochopper method to get root back?

Sorry, you're right. I've never had a MDK phone (mine started with ME7) so haven't ever actually used Loki or Motochopper.
12th January 2014, 01:46 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
so i ended up doing a factory reset then re-rooting...didnt lose the CWM recovery tho

thought id post my results in case it helps someone else out
The Following User Says Thank You to ww15 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th January 2014, 01:59 PM |#7  
Senior Member
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 844
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ww15

so i ended up doing a factory reset then re-rooting...didnt lose the CWM recovery tho

thought id post my results in case it helps someone else out

so you factory reset, then rerooted and CWM was still intact and all is good then?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes