5,604,219 Members 49,125 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Encryption vs. root

Tip us?

nupi
Old
(Last edited by nupi; 11th December 2013 at 02:56 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
Default Encryption vs. root

It seems like Moto has done something quite nasty to make coexistence of root and encrypted /data almost impossible. Current observations:
  • You can have an unencrypted, rooted phone without any obvious issues.
  • You cannot encrypt your phone while it is rooted (you get a encryption failed message immediately, suggesting to do a factory wipe but that is remedied by a hard power cycle, your data will still be there.
  • Once you unroot, encryption suddenly works
  • After encryption root is behaving very erratically, occasionally I got the device to boot with root after flashing supersu but on the next reboot it is lost again
  • Manual setting chmod 6555 on daemonsu and su in CWM is useless, they lose the suid attribute on reboot
[
I have poked around in /system and the ramdisk and my current takeaway, unless I missed something big, this is triggered from a binary as none of the scripts seem to contain any code to mess with su.

Edit: I have a suspicion that it happens in /boot as booting to the system right after flashing in TWRP seems to work (first time round) whereas CWM style full reboots do not seem work.
Edit 2: That does not seem to be it, does not yield root reliably in TWRP either

Does anybody have a pointer on what is going on? Looks like custom ROMs might be needed, after all.
The Following User Says Thank You to nupi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nupi
Old
(Last edited by nupi; 12th December 2013 at 12:32 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
Never mind I am such an idiot - xprivacy was active.

sdnkh
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Well, I don't have xprivacy installed and it is still failing on encryption.

sdnkh
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Below steps fixes my encryption problem:

For locked bootloader device:
1. Unlock bootloader
2. Encrypt the phone
3. Root

For already unlocked bootloader device:
1. Flash stock firmware back. Step here.
2. Encrypt the phone
3. Root

frojnd
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Tomorrow or day after tomorrow I'm getting moto g.

Just to be clear: root and encryption is working on default firmware 4.3? You just have to unlock bootloader first and then encrypt the phone like sdnkh desribed?

Is there any noticable performance issues with encryption active for those who have encrypted moto gs?

nupi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
Yes, you can encrypt while not rooted (even unroot) worked for me

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

frojnd
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Is there any noticable performance issues with encryption active for those who have encrypted moto gs?