FORUMS

Boot Loop When Flashing ROMs

28 posts
Thanks Meter: 6

By Austin Connell, Junior Member on 6th August 2013, 02:39 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hey guys I'm not exactly experienced with troubleshooting these kinds of problems. Hopefully I can learn something with the help of the community. I'll go ahead and lay out the situation and problem.

Problem:
Whenever I flash a rom with CWM, the phone will either A: Get stuck on a blank screen with the green LED on or B: Go through the boot animation and crash on "preparing android" and loop the process.

Info:
My AT&T Atrix HD has an unlocked bootloader, I have had several successful flashes in the past, and they have all worked well. I am able to flash the stock firmware back to the phone and it will load just fine. I have tried to go back to stock and start over, but I keep getting the same result. I've tried multiple roms with no change. This started happening when I was trying to load HoloBlur X according to the directions. It went through the whole installation in CWM without errors, but boot looped until it went dead. I did format and clear all the caches and all that too.

I'm not really sure what I'm missing here. I just hope someone might have a suggestion for me.

Thanks in advance for any help!

6th August 2013, 02:46 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
you could try format system in cwm
6th August 2013, 02:49 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog1982

you could try format system in cwm

Thank you, and I appreciate the suggestion, but I have done that multiple times with no change in result.
6th August 2013, 05:28 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 402

More
Your positive your unlocked? Rooted?

Sent from my PACMAN MATRIX HD MAXX
6th August 2013, 04:19 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeje00

Your positive your unlocked? Rooted?

Absolutely positive.
I unlocked using the Motopocalypse method, and have rooted using Motochopper with the Mythtools tool.
7th August 2013, 03:32 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
does cwm say that it cannot mount the cache after flashing the rom
9th August 2013, 05:46 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 11

Donate to Me
More
Safestrap VS. CWM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Connell

Absolutely positive.
I unlocked using the Motopocalypse method, and have rooted using Motochopper with the Mythtools tool.

Are you using a version of Safestrap recovery or are you ABSOLUETLY positive that you are using a custom recovery? Most newer ROMs (4.1 and up) usually require you to use a custom recovery.
9th August 2013, 05:59 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 402

More
I'm sure he knows the difference between the 2.

9th August 2013, 07:10 PM |#9  

Donate to Me
More
Wipe and Restore
Quote:

Hey guys I'm not exactly experienced with troubleshooting these kinds of problems. Hopefully I can learn something with the help of the community. I'll go ahead and lay out the situation and problem.

Problem:
Whenever I flash a rom with CWM, the phone will either A: Get stuck on a blank screen with the green LED on or B: Go through the boot animation and crash on "preparing android" and loop the process.

Info:
My AT&T Atrix HD has an unlocked bootloader, I have had several successful flashes in the past, and they have all worked well. I am able to flash the stock firmware back to the phone and it will load just fine. I have tried to go back to stock and start over, but I keep getting the same result. I've tried multiple roms with no change. This started happening when I was trying to load HoloBlur X according to the directions. It went through the whole installation in CWM without errors, but boot looped until it went dead. I did format and clear all the caches and all that too.

I'm not really sure what I'm missing here. I just hope someone might have a suggestion for me.

Thanks in advance for any help!

If you indeed are positive that you flashed the correct custom recovery, then follow these steps to fully Wipe, Restore to stock, and reflash.
Please read all of these steps before attempting to follow them!

** Note: I am not responsible for any damage done to your phone by following these instructions. **
  1. Charge your device to a reccomended 80% (at least)
  2. Make sure you have a Windows computer
  3. Download the latest USB drivers from Motorola
  4. Boot into your current recovery and make a nandroid backup, just in case.
  5. Boot your device into Fastboot by powering off device and holding the Power+Volume Up+Volume Down and scrolling using the Volume Down button.
  6. Plug your device into your computer
  7. Download Fastboot if you don't already have it. (A simple Google search should result in a download link)
  8. Type "fastboot erase data"
  9. Type "fastboot erase cache"
  10. Type "fastboot erase system"
  11. Type "fastboot erase boot"
  12. Type "fastboot reboot"

All of these commands should pass without conflict.
Your phone should reboot, but have no bootable OS. Don't panic if you get this error. Just manually power off your device and put it in bootloader mode once again (Power+Volume Up+Volume Down).
After that, follow these steps to flash to stock.
  1. Download and install RSD Lite 6.1 here : www.mediafire.com/?3ckiknmwcpjolb2
  2. Download the correct Fastboot Package for Jellybean here: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/dinara/list.php -- It should be MB886_att-user-4.1.1-9.8.0Q-97_MB886_FFW-20-27-release-keys-ATT-US_BuildA.xml.zip for 4.1.1 Jellybean on AT&T.
  3. Make sure your phone is in bootloader mode with the directions in the first set of instructions and select Fastboot flash mode.
  4. Open RSD Lite and select the downloaded Zip file in the box at the top.
  5. Your device should appear at the list view towards the bottom of the screen. Click it and the "Start" button should be clickable. Click start and wait.
  6. Wait for RSD Lite to say success and do not unplug it until the phone COMPLETELY BOOTS UP.

After all of this, you can now root, unlock bootloader, flash CWM, and install your custom rom. This should take care of any bootloops while installing Custom ROMs.

Click the thanks button if I helped!

PM me if you have any problems during this so I can help!
Last edited by lucasantarella; 11th August 2013 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Quoted
11th August 2013, 09:04 PM |#10  
OP Junior Member

More
lol no, I'm not using a safestrap. I'm using a CWM Recovery.

I will give the rsd method a try tonight. thank you guys for all the help so far. luckily i have another phone to use in the meantime.
11th August 2013, 10:06 PM |#11  

Donate to Me
More
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Connell

lol no, I'm not using a safestrap. I'm using a CWM Recovery.

I will give the rsd method a try tonight. thank you guys for all the help so far. luckily i have another phone to use in the meantime.

Okay. Make sure to tell us the results! Good luck!

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread