MultiROM Once Again Available for the Galaxy S4

Multiboot, or the ability to select betweenmultiple operating systems on a single device at … more

Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

[Q] flashing locked bootloader doesn't stick?

14th January 2014, 04:01 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 15

372 posts
So, my phone is running 4.1.2 rooted, and it got an OTA recently. The OTA failed because the bootloader was unlocked.

I thought easy-peasy, just odin flash the locked boot loader and download/apply OTA again, right?

Flashed fine, locked and clean for initial boot. But when it went to install the OTA, same problem happened, the bootloader was miraculously unlocked again, and the OTA failed.

Any ideas on how I can get past this? I really don't mind loosing root, just trying to avoid a complete odin reflash and loosing everything...
14th January 2014, 04:56 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

23 posts
I am just curious ... why would you want to update to the OTA 4.3 and forever lock down the bootloader? Once the verizon 4.3 update takes hold, you might be able to root, but (so far) will not be able to load custom roms without bricking the device.
14th January 2014, 05:09 PM   |  #3  
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 522

884 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vax1170

I am just curious ... why would you want to update to the OTA 4.3 and forever lock down the bootloader? Once the verizon 4.3 update takes hold, you might be able to root, but (so far) will not be able to load custom roms without bricking the device.

Well your almost right. First off you for sure can root. Second you can install custom roms with safestrap. Its limited to tw roms atm. There have been a hand full of people who upgraded just to use safestrap. I wouldnt recomend it right now because its alittle buggy.
14th January 2014, 05:13 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

372 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullet

So, my phone is running 4.1.2 rooted, and it got an OTA recently. The OTA failed because the bootloader was unlocked.

I thought easy-peasy, just odin flash the locked boot loader and download/apply OTA again, right?

Flashed fine, locked and clean for initial boot. But when it went to install the OTA, same problem happened, the bootloader was miraculously unlocked again, and the OTA failed.

Any ideas on how I can get past this? I really don't mind loosing root, just trying to avoid a complete odin reflash and loosing everything...

Wife's phone. She doesn't want to mess with it.

I think I figured it out, looks like I had a custom recovery installed. Flashed that to stock and locked bootloader and all is fine now. Running latest and greatest. Just what the missus is looking for...
14th January 2014, 05:26 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

23 posts
RedBullet - Ah, I fully understand now I'm having a similar conversation with my misses.

ThePagel - Thanks. One one of my phones was cursed with an accidental OTA 4.3 upgrade. Nice to know something is in the works, I'll dig up that thread and watch it.
14th January 2014, 05:47 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

372 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vax1170

RedBullet - Ah, I fully understand now I'm having a similar conversation with my misses.

I assume if one wants to go the custom ROM route they would simply need to odin flash one of the older stock images and go from there. Doesn't seem like a big problem. Of course > 50% chance I have no idea what I'm talking about...
14th January 2014, 06:52 PM   |  #7  
Illinois
Thanks Meter: 558

1,018 posts
Quote:

I assume if one wants to go the custom ROM route they would simply need to odin flash one of the older stock images and go from there. Doesn't seem like a big problem. Of course > 50% chance I have no idea what I'm talking about...

If you take the 4.3 OTA, you cannot odin flash an older stock image. Will brick your device.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to landshark68 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th January 2014, 06:54 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

372 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark68

If you take the 4.3 OTA, you cannot odin flash an older stock image. Will brick your device.

Really? That is pretty tragic. I may only buy unlocked devices from here on out; they seem to be getting better and better at making their devices less and less useful...
The Following User Says Thank You to RedBullet For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th January 2014, 11:19 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 37

342 posts
It sure is sad but true. Im thankful google blessed us with the nexus 5

Quote:

Really? That is pretty tragic. I may only buy unlocked devices from here on out; they seem to be getting better and better at making their devices less and less useful...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread