FORUMS

locked out

9 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By fmjswitch, Junior Member on 27th December 2013, 01:20 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hello everyone.

Somehow I managed to lock myself out of my own phone using the pincode screen lock. I've tried a few trouble shooting solutions which I found online, including downloading something from my computers google play store. Nothing seems to be working and I was wondering if anyone here knew how to help me out?

I've using a sprint galaxy s3 with cm-10.2.0-RC1 mod and I can still access TWRP.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
 
 
27th December 2013, 03:36 PM |#2  
jdelano's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Buford, GA
Thanks Meter: 1,001
 
More
unfortunately your only option is probably a factory reset, cache and dalvik wipe.

you can do a backup first, reset and probably then restore data for your apps and their data, that probably doesn't include the pin settings which would be saved in the system settings (I would think)
27th December 2013, 11:09 PM |#3  
Member
Thanks Meter: 71
 
More
Have you tried using your Google account to recover your lock code?
28th December 2013, 01:12 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdelano

unfortunately your only option is probably a factory reset, cache and dalvik wipe.

you can do a backup first, reset and probably then restore data for your apps and their data, that probably doesn't include the pin settings which would be saved in the system settings (I would think)

tried this today, apparently the pin is saved to the data. that was the only part of the backup I couldn't restore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenZen

Have you tried using your Google account to recover your lock code?

I was unaware I could do this, do you have any more information on how to do this?
28th December 2013, 01:36 PM |#5  
jdelano's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Buford, GA
Thanks Meter: 1,001
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmjswitch

tried this today, apparently the pin is saved to the data. that was the only part of the backup I couldn't restore.

You might try using an app like MyBackupPro and do a selective backup of apps and their data and not use the recovery restore.


Only thing I could find on pin and google account was for wallet and voice, admittedly I didn't spend more than a few minutes googling it. Figured I'd take a look as well, for ya.

Good luck
EDIT: there is an app for that https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pass.pro&hl=en
Last edited by jdelano; 28th December 2013 at 01:51 PM.
28th December 2013, 05:36 PM |#6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 71
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmjswitch

I was unaware I could do this, do you have any more information on how to do this?

According to Google, if you enter a bad pattern 5 times you should see an option for "forgot pattern," which you can use to log into your Google account and bypass the lockscreen.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/3388218?hl=en
28th December 2013, 06:24 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenZen

According to Google, if you enter a bad pattern 5 times you should see an option for "forgot pattern," which you can use to log into your Google account and bypass the lockscreen.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/3388218?hl=en

that's what I thought too, but I'm thinking cyanogenmod disables this feature. Its told me on numerous occasions "you got the password wrong 15 times, please wait 30 seconds then try again"
28th December 2013, 08:06 PM |#8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 71
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmjswitch

that's what I thought too, but I'm thinking cyanogenmod disables this feature. Its told me on numerous occasions "you got the password wrong 15 times, please wait 30 seconds then try again"

Hm. No idea there, but if that's the case then perhaps it's possible that there is a way to flash a patch to restore that functionality.
28th December 2013, 09:19 PM |#9  
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmjswitch

Hello everyone.

Somehow I managed to lock myself out of my own phone using the pincode screen lock. I've tried a few trouble shooting solutions which I found online, including downloading something from my computers google play store. Nothing seems to be working and I was wondering if anyone here knew how to help me out?

I've using a sprint galaxy s3 with cm-10.2.0-RC1 mod and I can still access TWRP.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Flash this in recovery. Phone will be unlocked on boot. This is safe to use on ANY phone where u cannot pass the screen lock. Made by me so please don't do nothing unethical with it

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...YH_2Ih-lrGGufw
Last edited by billard412; 28th December 2013 at 09:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to billard412 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th December 2013, 12:35 PM |#10  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by billard412

Flash this in recovery. Phone will be unlocked on boot. This is safe to use on ANY phone where u cannot pass the screen lock. Made by me so please don't do nothing unethical with it

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...YH_2Ih-lrGGufw

worked like a charm. you sir, are amazing. thank you!
12th January 2014, 03:49 AM |#11  
Member
Thanks Meter: 71
 
More
Thanks for the bypass alternative, Billard.

As an epilogue to this thread, I'd like to share a discovery. It turns out that there IS an option for "forgot password," but if you use a PIN instead of a Pattern with a PIN backup then you'll never know. It's squarely centered at the bottom of the screen if you get your pattern wrong too many times and don't decide to use your backup PIN.

Basically, some (I'm going to guess) intern had this bright idea for increasing security... And so what we've wound up with are two neighboring options on the scale of security levels: the PIN option with zero official redundancies, or the Pattern+PIN option with its TWO redundancies. Why the pattern gets more outs than the Mets on any given day, while the PIN is as rigid and unforgiving as a Catholic school matron, I can't begin to fathom. Go figure, huh?

Maybe somebody who's a lot smarter than I am can figure out how to copy that function and incorporate it into the rest of the lock options for future ROMs.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it,
-Zen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-12 02.41.36.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	2510109  

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes