5,595,126 Members 44,607 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Kit Kat Issue Summary (Upgrading or Using on Droid Line)- Please add your issues

Tip us?

jkhouw1
Old
(Last edited by jkhouw1; 20th January 2014 at 08:53 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Exclamation Kit Kat Issue Summary (Upgrading or Using on Droid Line)- Please add your issues

A list of issues I've read about with KitKat.

Install
  • If you previously rooted like a monkey (you blindly followed instructions without understanding them), you will probably have issues upgrading - either a brick or an unrooted KitKat.
  • If you are on KitKat and not rooted, you have no option to root at the present time

Battery
  • Totally "by feel" but it seems a touch worse to me. No empirical data to back that up. tehcodeman feels his is slightly better.

Applications
Root
  • changing the SQLite db for tether no longer works - you now need to replace the entitlement apk
  • If you got to KitKat and didn't Slap it first and therefore have no root, you are SOL
  • Xposed does not work with ART - if you have it installed and try to switch to ART, the phone will reboot but you will still be dalvik.
  • Cant switch to ART from dalvik - doesn't take: Do you have Xposed installed? If so that's why.

Non-Root
  • I've read things like foxfi and other tether apps no longer work (except maybe via bluetooth)

Other
  • More issues (than with 4.2) with connectivity to non VZW carriers.
  • My Bluetooth connection to my car (VW) drops occasionally (it never did on 4.2). Not often enough to be super annoying but enough that sometimes I think I must be getting a call, email or some other notification. Comes back on its own about 5 seconds later.

jkhouw1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
BAH! I thought I was posting in Q&A forum - can a mod move it? unless it belongs here.

Einsteindks
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Almost good enough as a stickie!

fat-fingered and Maxx-ed out.

tehcodeman
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I don't see how any of those are issues with KitKat in the slightest. Maybe you mean "Limitations with KitKat"?

Also, my battery "feels" better than ever. I used it moderately at work today and had 80% charge at 5pm after unplugging it at 7 this morning.

jkhouw1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehcodeman View Post
I don't see how any of those are issues with KitKat in the slightest.
Its meant to be a list of issues upgrading to, rooting, or applications on KitKat on the Droid Maxx/Ultra phones. If you don't see how the items posted are related to that....

doogald
Old
Thanks Meter 300
The home key issue is the biggest annoyance for me. I was trying the Aviate launcher and it made it almost unusable.

Many people are reporting Bluetooth issues, particularly after the upgrade with existing devices. Sometimes unpairing and reestablishing the pair fixes the problem. I've done a factory reset and that seems to have fixed almost everything.

I concur about the battery. At best it is the same as before, but it's usually a bit worse - as much as an extra 1% per hour of drain compared with before. It was the same both before and after the factory reset that I did. It may have something to do with Google Play Services - I'm still waiting for the update. But I probably received the last, buggy update right around the time that I updated to KitKat last month. What's weird is that it isn't consistent - some days I end up with 40% battery, some days I end up with 60%, and usage is the same.

The only Play Store issues I've had came after the factory data reset - it took hours to reinstall all of my apps. Otherwise that's been rock-solid for me.

reggie14
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I noticed the Motorola Kit Kat build didn't include the Google Cloud Print app with native Android printing support. The app that's available from the play store doesn't work with the native print functionality, either. However, sideloading the Cloud Print apk pulled from a kit kat Nexus device does work.

It's disappointing that Kit Kat pulled USB OTG support. There are non-root apps like Total Commander+USB plugin or the Nexus Media Importer that can bring back partial support.

knyghtryda
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Biggest annoyance has been the home button double tap bug. Been playing with various xposed apps to try and override it, but so far not much luck. This needs to be fixed ASAP. I am currently rooted so everything else is fixable via xposed or 3rd party apps (tethering, blue status bar, etc). I've also had some random wakelocks that won't go away without a reboot (last one was the audioMix wakelock) but those aren't consistent so I can't really chalk that up to 4.4 as wakelock problems existed in 4.2.2. Otherwise 4.4 has been pretty good, and I especially like immersion mode (even with the hard buttons having a pulldown status bar is nice when you're running fullscreen games).

doogald
Old
Thanks Meter 300
I don't use the stock email client - I just use Gmail - but I have read that the stock mail client will not start if you swipe its notification up from active display since the KitKat update. See https://forums.motorola.com/posts/6c3888a792

Metfanant
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Phone won't send mms(pic/vid/group) when connected to wifi

Been like this ever since flashing the 4.4 soak test

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk