Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,636 Members 53,202 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Review of AnkerŪ 40W 5-Port USB Family-Sized Desktop Charger with a short video

Tip us?
 
A1will
Old
(Last edited by A1will; 20th January 2014 at 06:25 PM.) Reason: Wrong wattage
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 6
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default Review of AnkerŪ 40W 5-Port USB Family-Sized Desktop Charger with a short video

Video: youtu.be/Gn-Ijed44SU

This product feels nice and solid. It has an attractive matte finish (at least on the black model I received) with glossy ends. Measuring about 3 1/2''x 2 1/4'' x 1'' it is around the size of a deck of cards (a bit smaller but thicker than the deck I had). I have uploaded a video for you to see. My apologies in advance for the poor quality but you should be able to get a good look at it.

Setting this up couldn't be easier, it is truly the definition of plug and play. Unpack, plug in power cord to unit and wall, and away you go.

What really caught my interest and impressed me, was their so called, "Smart Port Technology". At first glance it sounds like a baseless marketing gimmick that we see all to often. Each port has a dedicated microchip that detects each device's USB pin signals and dynamically adapts the amperage output accordingly, so the device will charge at full speed and you don't need to worry about damaging the device.

This product also comes with an 18 month warranty.

In conclusion,

The device itself is pleasant looking and matches well with the modern feel of my computer area.

I was expecting something large and clunky that would take up a lot of room, but as you can see the device is nice and sleek and really only the size of a deck of cards.

Like other Anker products I own, this is sturdy and well built.

It is also easy to use and comes with a fairly long warranty. I haven't had to deal with a bad product, but I hear Anker customer service is very easy to deal with in case an issue should arise.

As I explained above, the "Smart Port" technology really makes charging a whole fleet of devices a breeze!
 
vectron
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1975
Posts: 2,680
Join Date: Apr 2011
Sorry man, but the one you reviewed is not 25W version with smart ports, its 40W version. I reviewed both 25W and 40W here in the forum recently, 40W: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2608578

Good video review, but make sure you correct the title to 40W, not 25W (my review here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2436439). Since they are in the same 5-port class, Anker listed it on amazon under the same listing where you click to select 25W or 40W version. Maybe that's where the confusion came from?

Either way, I wouldn't even bother looking into 25W (5A) version with fixed ports when you can get 40W (8A) version with 5 smart ports (up to 2.4A per port to charge even the latest retina iPad).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you find my post helpful, please hit Thanks

Complete list of all smartphone and tablet accessory REVIEWS by Vectron -> HERE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
A1will
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 6
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectron View Post
Sorry man, but the one you reviewed is not 25W version with smart ports, its 40W version. I reviewed both 25W and 40W here in the forum recently, 40W: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2608578

Good video review, but make sure you correct the title to 40W, not 25W (my review here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2436439). Since they are in the same 5-port class, Anker listed it on amazon under the same listing where you click to select 25W or 40W version. Maybe that's where the confusion came from?

Either way, I wouldn't even bother looking into 25W (5A) version with fixed ports when you can get 40W (8A) version with 5 smart ports (up to 2.4A per port to charge even the latest retina iPad).
Good catch, I just copy pasta the title from amazon.
The Following User Says Thank You to A1will For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
pcharouz
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 68
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Treasure Island, FL
Any chance you could actually test the output with a 12w ipad? I just got a new anker astro3, and it only charger at 2.1, not a 2.4amp

Easiest way to test it is to download "batterylife"(free) in cydia, or time charging the default charger compared to the anker.

Thank you! It is advertised everywhere as 2.4amp, but it seems like they do not have that feature!
 
vectron
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1975
Posts: 2,680
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcharouz View Post
Any chance you could actually test the output with a 12w ipad? I just got a new anker astro3, and it only charger at 2.1, not a 2.4amp

Easiest way to test it is to download "batterylife"(free) in cydia, or time charging the default charger compared to the anker.

Thank you! It is advertised everywhere as 2.4amp, but it seems like they do not have that feature!
Sorry, I don't have any apple devices. But I remember reading replies to my reviews on AndroidForums (I mirror my reviews in XDA and AF) where someone tested and verified 2nd gen Anker external batteries to charge latest iPad at full speed. I also remember reading comments on Amazon as well. This 40W should be able to do that as well. Are you sure there is no problem with your usb cable? That could be a bottleneck. Or perhaps if you have multiple devices charging, the total current can't exceed the max value so it could current-limit the port.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you find my post helpful, please hit Thanks

Complete list of all smartphone and tablet accessory REVIEWS by Vectron -> HERE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
pcharouz
Old
#6  
Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 68
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Treasure Island, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectron View Post
Sorry, I don't have any apple devices. But I remember reading replies to my reviews on AndroidForums (I mirror my reviews in XDA and AF) where someone tested and verified 2nd gen Anker external batteries to charge latest iPad at full speed. I also remember reading comments on Amazon as well. This 40W should be able to do that as well. Are you sure there is no problem with your usb cable? That could be a bottleneck. Or perhaps if you have multiple devices charging, the total current can't exceed the max value so it could current-limit the port.
Yes, many reviews mention 2.4amp charging, but no one actually tests it... This is very frustrating since i have bought it because of this feature.

Here is an email from anker:
"
Dear *****,

Thank you for writing back.

Kindly please be assured it is normal that this external battery charge your iPad at 2.1amp. Feel free to contact us if you have any more questions or concerns, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you and great day!"
 
vectron
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1975
Posts: 2,680
Join Date: Apr 2011
I don't know what to tell you bud. I would have verified it for you gladly, but I don't have iPad 4. I know they (anker) are typically very specific about their spec and offer 18-month warranty and a top notch support.

Don't rely solely on app to tell you about current draw. For example with my Note 2 (or any S4, N3, etc.) you can get a free Galaxy Current app and it always shows 1.8A charging as max while I'm using 2A charger and actually timed the charging to be very close to 2A.

I assume you already timed your charging from a trusted wall charger and the same usb cable used between wall charger and Anker charger on iPad starting from some fixed discharged %? Another test, use one of these gadgets (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2451375) which is not necessary accurate because it draws it's own current, but you can compare how much current is drawn from your original apple charger versus anker charger. That charging doctor is great for relative comparison analysis.

Another thing that I read from a few of the people in different forums, iPad 4 with its 2.4A requirement is very particular that it won't even charge from a typical 2A charger because it doesn't draw enough current. So the fact that you are actually able to charge your iPad 4 from anker 40W charger indicates that it provides more than 2A of current.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you find my post helpful, please hit Thanks

Complete list of all smartphone and tablet accessory REVIEWS by Vectron -> HERE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Frozster
Old
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Feb 2014
Clock Testing Results:Charging Current

Hi guys, i thought i should post this up.Below are my results of testing the anker 40W charger with my galaxy note 10.1 (n8000) tablet. Unfortunately Im not receiving full speed charging as promised by Anker.

With the screen turned on,
Anker 40W, 2A charger = 0.7A
Original Samsung 2.1A charger = 1.2A

With the screen turned off (screen was left off for 1min and then turned on to take screenshot)
Anker 40W, 2A charger = 1.2A
Original Samsung 2.1A charger = 1.7A

Anyone getting similar results? Or did i get a bad copy? I've just contacted Anker, and am now waiting for a reply.

----Attached Screenshot----
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anker_Screenon.png
Views:	143
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	2602683

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenoff.png
Views:	40
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	2602684
 
vectron
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1975
Posts: 2,680
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozster View Post
Hi guys, i thought i should post this up.Below are my results of testing the anker 40W charger with my galaxy note 10.1 (n8000) tablet. Unfortunately Im not receiving full speed charging as promised by Anker.

With the screen turned on,
Anker 40W, 2A charger = 0.7A
Original Samsung 2.1A charger = 1.2A

With the screen turned off (screen was left off for 1min and then turned on to take screenshot)
Anker 40W, 2A charger = 1.2A
Original Samsung 2.1A charger = 1.7A

Anyone getting similar results? Or did i get a bad copy? I've just contacted Anker, and am now waiting for a reply.
It sounds like a defective unit. I would contact their customer support (look it up on ianker.com) and get a replacement right away. Everything is covered under 18-months warranty.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you find my post helpful, please hit Thanks

Complete list of all smartphone and tablet accessory REVIEWS by Vectron -> HERE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
kbeats
Old
#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 8
Join Date: Sep 2013
thank you

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes