FORUMS

T-Mobile Steps Up The War Against Verizon

T-Mobile has today launched a new attack on Verizon under the tagline of “Never Settle … more

Multi DPI Apps for Galaxy Note 4

Samsung stock apps do not scale to non-stock DPIs, which can prove annoying to those that want to … more

Google #StepInsideAdWords Event Livestream

Ahead of the annual I/O conference scheduled to take place later this month, the Google … more

How Much Do You Pay for Your Wireless Bill?

With so many different carriers and options to choose from, it can sometimes be quite a task … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Micro USB Cable: They all break. Any help?

7th May 2012, 10:07 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 44

Donate to Me
More
Note: By Micro USB Cable, I mean the cable that connects to your phone/tablet and to the wall/computer in order to charge and/or sync. In a thousand words, this:

I've owned multiple cables just like this. They all break. The one that came with my Samsung Galaxy S II, the one that came with my mother's HTC Evo 4G, the one that came with my sisters Samsung dumbphone, and every one I've bought at Wal-Mart or Dollar general. Every. Freaking. One. Breaks within two months.

It's not the device; it's the cord. I checked. I tested.

Does anybody else have this issue? Does anybody know where I can buy a HIGH-QUALITY WILL-NOT-BREAK Micro USB cable?

It's downright stupid to me how big companies like Samsung or HTC packs charging cables that break so easily. My mom has gotten multiple replacements from Sprint from hers breaking.

Also, 70% of the time, they don't completely break. They just work in a certain direction, and touching your device or the cable will disconnect it. Sometimes they will disconnect and reconnect hundreds of times a minute, completely crashing your device or making loud, annoying sounds letting you know your device is charging or not.

Please, I need some help. I googled this. Nothing very useful. This is getting on my nerves.

Thanks for the help!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Colton127 For This Useful Post: [ View ]

8th May 2012, 02:34 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I don't think I've had one USB (whether it be regular or micro) ever break on me. You must be doing something wrong with them lol

But seriously, not one.
8th May 2012, 10:45 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 44

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by punishment

Why ? How do you use it ? If you use it normally and that is the issue of quality.

How do I use it? Plug it in phone, plug it in wall/computer, let it sit and charge.

This happened to me, my mom, and my sister - all using different, unique cables and different phones.
9th May 2012, 06:44 AM |#4  
Flag Barcelona
Thanks Meter: 1

Donate to Me
More
had several of them and never had broken one!!!
14th May 2012, 02:01 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 10

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton127

How do I use it? Plug it in phone, plug it in wall/computer, let it sit and charge.

This happened to me, my mom, and my sister - all using different, unique cables and different phones.

Twisting the cables or winding them very tight can cause the wires to break. I coil mine very loosely and I'm well over two months into the use of this cable.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium
14th May 2012, 04:38 AM |#6  
Flag Mecca
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Connecting to a computer via USB
You can connect your phone to a computer with a USB cable, to transfer music, pictures, and other files between your phone and the computer. Your phone stores these files in internal USB storage or on a removable SD card, depending on your model of phone (see your phone’s owner’s guide for details about its features).

WARNING! When connecting your phone to a computer and mounting its USB storage or SD card, you must follow your computer’s instructions for connecting and disconnecting USB devices, to avoid damaging or corrupting files.

If you are using USB tethering, you must turn that off before you can use USB to transfer files between your phone and computer. See Sharing your phone’s mobile data connection.

Connect your phone to a computer via USB

1. Use the USB cable that came with your phone to connect the phone to a USB port on your computer.
You receive a notification that the USB is connected.

2. Open the Notifications panel and touch USB connected.
For details on working with the Notifications panel, see Managing notifications.

3. Touch Turn on USB storage in the screen that opens to confirm that you want to transfer files.
When the phone is connected as USB storage, the screen indicates that USB storage is in use and you receive a notification.

Your phone’s USB storage or SD card is mounted as a drive on your computer. You can now copy files back and forth. For more information, see the documentation for your computer.

During this time, you can’t access the USB storage or SD card from your phone, so you can’t use applications that rely on them, such as Camera, Gallery, and Music. You also can’t share your phone’s data connection with your computer via USB.

Disconnect your phone from the computer

WARNING! Carefully follow your computer’s instructions to unmount the USB storage or SD card and disconnect USB devices correctly, to avoid losing information.

1. Unmount the USB storage or SD card on your computer.
2. Open the Notifications panel and touch Turn off USB storage.
3. Touch Turn off USB storage in the screen that opens.
Safely remove an SD card from your phone

If your phone has an SD card (rather than internal USB storage), you can safely remove the SD card from your phone any time the phone is turned off, as described in your phone’s owner’s guide. If you need to remove the SD card while the phone is on, you must unmount the SD card form the phone first, to prevent corrupting or damaging the SD card.

1. Press Home , press Menu , and touch Settings, to open the Settings application.
2. Touch Storage.
3. Touch Unmount.
You can now safely remove the SD card from the phone.

Erase your phone’s USB storage or SD card

If your phone uses an SD card, you may need to erase a new one before you can use it with your phone. You can also erase your phone’s USB storage or SD card, for example, if you are giving the phone or SD card to someone else and want to erase your personal information from it. (See Factory data reset for information on erasing all the data on your phone.)

1. Press Home , press Menu , and touch Settings, to open the Settings application.
2. Touch Storage.
3. Touch Erase. On the screen that warns you that formatting will erase its contents, touch Erase.

Devices:

Samsung Galaxy Mini GT-S5570
ROM: Xperia Kanata Edition v1.1
CPU Speed: 806 Mhz
Recovery: CWM 5.0.2.8 Touch 2 by Squadzone
Last edited by hafizshalihin; 12th June 2012 at 05:43 PM.
29th June 2012, 05:46 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton127

Note: By Micro USB Cable, I mean the cable that connects to your phone/tablet and to the wall/computer in order to charge and/or sync. In a thousand words, this:

I've owned multiple cables just like this. They all break. The one that came with my Samsung Galaxy S II, the one that came with my mother's HTC Evo 4G, the one that came with my sisters Samsung dumbphone, and every one I've bought at Wal-Mart or Dollar general. Every. Freaking. One. Breaks within two months.

It's not the device; it's the cord. I checked. I tested.

Does anybody else have this issue? Does anybody know where I can buy a HIGH-QUALITY WILL-NOT-BREAK Micro USB cable?

It's downright stupid to me how big companies like Samsung or HTC packs charging cables that break so easily. My mom has gotten multiple replacements from Sprint from hers breaking.

Also, 70% of the time, they don't completely break. They just work in a certain direction, and touching your device or the cable will disconnect it. Sometimes they will disconnect and reconnect hundreds of times a minute, completely crashing your device or making loud, annoying sounds letting you know your device is charging or not.

Please, I need some help. I googled this. Nothing very useful. This is getting on my nerves.

Thanks for the help!

TOTALLY agree with you... been through soooo many cables.... at first I thought oh no its my phone but then I tried another cable and it worked.... I must have been through about 15 cables in the past couple of years... its crazy that no one makes a high quality micro usb cable
The Following User Says Thank You to liltbrockie For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th June 2012, 05:53 PM |#8  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by liltbrockie

TOTALLY agree with you... been through soooo many cables.... at first I thought oh no its my phone but then I tried another cable and it worked.... I must have been through about 15 cables in the past couple of years... its crazy that no one makes a high quality micro usb cable

You mean break as in the micro usb side metal thingy (the tiny side) actually breaks off or something internal that it stops connecting to the pc / start charging?

My Xperia X10 came with a pretty sturdy cable comparatively, now that I read what you faced. Its nearly two years old... No problems at all.. Maybe you can give it a try

Sent from my X10S using xda app-developers app
30th June 2012, 02:43 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
I just buy cables from Monoprice. They seem to be just as good as name-brand cables, but they're really cheap... like a fifth the cost of generic cables from a big box store,, and a small fraction of the ripoff premium cables.

When I order, I just stock up because shipping is about the same if you're buying one cable or dozens.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rlmesq For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th June 2012, 06:01 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I would say that it breaks because of the way you handle it. I've never had a cable breaking on me.

When you plug in and out, make sure you hold it not by the cable, but at the plug. This protects the joint between the cable and the plug. Also, do not wiggle the plug. Just in and out, perpendicular to the connector. This way, you won't loosen the connectors and damage them.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread