Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,426 Members 53,331 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

>> REVIEW << Galaxy Note 3 S-VIEW case - Authentic VS Fake - Lots of Pics!

Tip us?

roxboxxx
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Default >> REVIEW << Galaxy Note 3 S-VIEW case - Authentic VS Fake - Lots of Pics!

Fedex just dropped off my new note 3 s-view case today, and I have to say that this is one serious high quality case.
As I have been riding temporarily on the cheap flip cases from China, I have a few days of comparison under my belt.....
and for clarity sake.....there is NO comparison.

Quick Observations:

1. This case has REAL nylon stitching. This was completely unexpected as everyone said it was molded. Well, not on the flip cover. I hobby with leather craft and know real stitching when I see it - Bravo Samsung !

2. The case is heavy ! Compared to the OEM plastic back, this case is a porker.

3. The bonded vinyl is textured but NOT to look like leather. I hear the black case has a leather texture. This does not.

4. The cheap case has a soft felt lining on the inner surface (real lint collectors), the OEM case is slick vinyl.

5. The view port on the cheap case comes pre-scratched to save you the trouble. Its CHEAP and looks it. The OEM looks like some bonded or coated plastic and it definitely feels sturdier.

6. The view port on the cheap case DOES NOT transfer any touch commands. So its only a pretty window at best.

7. The cheap case has no control element, so opening and closing the case does not trigger any s-view options.

8. The cheap case clearly has no NFC antenna. Ironically, neither does the OEM back. The OEM flip does !

9. The OEM flip case is stiff. Out of the box, the cover wants to flip closed. I am sure that will change over time.

10. Last but not least, the OEM flip case extends beyond the plastic shinny edges (really samsung ??) of the phone for added protection, vs the cheap case's flush-to-the-edge design.

OVERALL - This case is well worth the $60 they charge. I do suspect it may suffer from some edge de-lamination over time as its clear that the vinyl cover is bonded. Given where the stitching is, I can see some potential for peeling around the edges. That aside - this case is a total win for the note line and Samsung R&D hit their marks on this one. I do expect to get a black version at some point as I used a black cheap case for a few days, and the the color combo looked great (like a classic tux!).

Enjoy the pics!

I may look to delaminate and make a leather version some day !

What a godsend this option is. I was so sick of fumbling with my Gnote 2 flip case when trying to take a pic. This is brilliant and much easier to handle.

Do what now?
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to roxboxxx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Alex---1
Old
Thanks Meter 33
I like the look of this case and would happily buy one but I can't help but think it's going to be a giant pain in the ass to use the phone with it on. Does the flap get in the way of holding the phone when you're using it?

craigels
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex---1 View Post
I like the look of this case and would happily buy one but I can't help but think it's going to be a giant pain in the ass to use the phone with it on. Does the flap get in the way of holding the phone when you're using it?
Im also interested in knowing this before I buy it

Sent from my GT-N8010 using xda app-developers app

hairdewx
Old
Thanks Meter 265
how well does the s-cover fold backwards?
See Xperia Play Games on my YouTube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/hairdewx
The Following User Says Thank You to hairdewx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

craigels
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Does it stay shut like fully down

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

D1G1T4L
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Also if you find one in stock at a local T-Mobile check in with Foursquare and get a 30% off coupon. Picked mine up for $45 out the door.

2swizzle
Old
Thanks Meter 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1G1T4L View Post
Also if you find one in stock at a local T-Mobile check in with Foursquare and get a 30% off coupon. Picked mine up for $45 out the door.
I have been using a real s-view case since last week and it's amazing. I wasn't happy with the price but I got it for $35 bucks with my discount. The case is stiff and wants to stay open or closed but is slowly breaking in.

njfoses
Old
Thanks Meter 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex---1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigels View Post
Im also interested in knowing this before I buy it

Sent from my GT-N8010 using xda app-developers app
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairdewx View Post
how well does the s-cover fold backwards?
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigels View Post
Does it stay shut like fully down

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2438273
www.gplus.to/njfoses
Note 3
Gtab 10.1, cm 10.1 nightlies

If I have helped please click the thanks button !

roxboxxx
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
The case is stiff, no doubt, but I do expect it to lose up similar to my experience with the note 2. This case has more substance to it so it will probably take longer. Concerning the pita factor, if u buy it from Verizon and dont like it, I believe u can return it in 14 days. I don't find the case to be an issue as I talk on the phone with the cover in the closed position. This works out better as I don't have to deal with greasy ear prints. Also, when open, I slip my pinky and ring fingers on each side of the case which makes 1 handed typing easier as you have a good grip point. I also forgot to add earlier, the case does not interfere with the back camera!

A few hours in and I am loving the sview screens - just the right amount of data and jumps right yo the alerting app when you open the cover after a text or call comes in.
Do what now?

clninja
Old
Thanks Meter 246
It doesn't have nfc built into it. Those pins are for the s view to work. Nfc is built into the battery.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app