Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,935 Members 52,930 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ZTE (AT&T) Avail 2 [Z992]

Tip us?

misternad
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Unhappy ZTE (AT&T) Avail 2 [Z992]

Looking for any information anyone may have for rooting this device.

Android 4.1.1 JellyBean. I've tried motochopper, previous avail methods and a few other JB specific attemps. All of which have failed, fortunately, I'm not-yet bricked.

Motochopper fails at executing the binary /data/local/tmp/pwn, giving a bus error -after- the script stops on a signal.

Code:
shell@android:/ $ /data/local/tmp/pwn
/data/local/tmp/pwn
[+] This may take a few minutes.
[1] + Stopped (signal)     /data/local/tmp/pwn
shell@android:/ $ exit
exit
[1] + Bus error            /data/local/tmp/pwn
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misternad For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xCAVEMANx
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Default I am on board with this as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by misternad View Post

Android 4.1.1 JellyBean. I've tried motochopper, previous avail methods and a few other JB specific attemps. All of which have failed, fortunately, I'm not-yet bricked.

Motochopper fails at executing the binary /data/local/tmp/pwn, giving a bus error -after- the script stops on a signal.

Code:
/data/local/tmp/pwn
exit
**BUMP** on this. This is an inexpensive decent Android phone. The camera is the only drawback but everything else is fairly decent. I am going to start looking into this, because being able to root and mod a cheap phone to have as a ready back up is essential.
The Following User Says Thank You to xCAVEMANx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

misternad
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCAVEMANx View Post
**BUMP** on this. This is an inexpensive decent Android phone. The camera is the only drawback but everything else is fairly decent. I am going to start looking into this, because being able to root and mod a cheap phone to have as a ready back up is essential.
Cydia Impactor. It's a one-click master-key exploit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misternad For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cjpwedge
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Wow... I can't believe this is the first time I'm hearing of this. Does the trick and then some. Looks like it's time to learn how to port since nobody seems to be taking the reigns on this one. Wish me luck!!!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using xda app-developers app
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cjpwedge For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

h078
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Can anyone tell me where to find stock rom for avail 2 and how to flash it...
I rooted the phone but changing font made phone un-bootable...

I was wondering how to recover it ... I can access FTE mode and stock recovery but no ADB....

So far i had no luck finding stock firmware or any means on how to flash the phone
The Following User Says Thank You to h078 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aarond1004
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Bought this great little phone as backup to my attic which I will never part with. Have found that it is wonderful for the price. I don't use camera on any phone so that's never an issue. This phone is a quiet little secret. But impaired as more are sold its secrets will be released.

Sent from my Z992 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to aarond1004 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ceciliasp
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by misternad View Post

Code:
/data/local/tmp/pwn
exit
I used Cydia Impactor. I took me 5 minutes.-
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ceciliasp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

niteridet
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciliasp View Post
I used Cydia Impactor. I took me 5 minutes.-

How by using Cydia Impactor helped you root the Z992? I have it as well, but have no idea how to root from start to finish in DOS(?) Then, after that, Is there a basic custom ROM that is easily attainable for use with detailed instructions?

I am fairly new to all this but been trying for about 2 years. I just never knew how to add a custom ROM or have a reliable RECOVERY after rooting, I am still unsure why I try to begin with, I guess to have a cooler phone, but its complicated, I read the threads, and there are so many terms not being throughly put to instruction decriptions. Bare with me, I am very articulate....

Can someone help me understand, even with some links to basic knowledge and full detail on what rooting, roming, and recoverying or maybe even unlocking a phone - Z992 to be in particular at the moment. thanks - helping words help others learn. Peace til next time..
LG Optimus T
Android- 2.3.7
gingerbread

~niteridet
The Following User Says Thank You to niteridet For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

godkillerz223
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Anyone know of any other rom besides the z993 for this budget phone?

Sent from my Z992

George19
Old
(Last edited by George19; 20th January 2014 at 04:49 AM.) Reason: DIFFERENT OS USAGE
Thanks Meter 1
Default reply to guidance

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteridet View Post

How by using Cydia Impactor helped you root the Z992? I have it as well, but have no idea how to root from start to finish in DOS(?) Then, after that, Is there a basic custom ROM that is easily attainable for use with detailed instructions?

I am fairly new to all this but been trying for about 2 years. I just never knew how to add a custom ROM or have a reliable RECOVERY after rooting, I am still unsure why I try to begin with, I guess to have a cooler phone, but its complicated, I read the threads, and there are so many terms not being throughly put to instruction decriptions. Bare with me, I am very articulate....

Can someone help me understand, even with some links to basic knowledge and full detail on what rooting, roming, and recoverying or maybe even unlocking a phone - Z992 to be in particular at the moment. thanks - helping words help others learn. Peace til next time..
THIS IS FOR WINDOWS AS I ONLY USE WINDOWS.
Cydia impactor works like a charm I have had success in rooting my z992, my fiance's z992 and my alps momo 9 3G tablet (Chinese tablet). Details on how to root using Cudi's impactor:
Download cydia impactor (just google it)
Enable USB debugging and connect to PC as media device
Plug in phone now on and unlocked
Open cydia impactor (it should say "# Drop SU.... ")
Press start or go
Wait for it to go back to where it says "# Drop SU...."
Unplug your phone (no longer need pc)
Then download superuser
Open app and scroll left to right and update su binary by clicking where it says SUPERSU 1.6.1... THEN CLICK update
Download busybox by stericson
Open busybox click install at bottom left
After completion manage apps in your phones settings menu and delete busybox. You now have root access! Enjoy.

Information on rooting, unlocking, roming, and recovering... :
Rooting will give you access to system files and functions that basic users cannot access. Like deleting apps that came preinstalled with the phone and take up a bunch of space.
Unlocking: allows you to use a different carriers service on your phone for example using straight talk in att or T-Mobile phones using their byop program sum card service.
Roming: means you can install a different Android based operating system on your phone. For example Android 2.3.4 of a att Samsung galaxy s2 on your phone instead of Android 4.1.1 or Android 4.1.2 on att avail 2.
Recovery means you have access to install any type of zip file to your phone through clockworkmod, twrp, or cynagen mod recovery to make system changes on your phone.

Did I answer all of your questions or do you need more understanding of the terms? Glad to help you!!!

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by godkillerz223 View Post
Anyone know of any other rom besides the z993 for this budget phone?

Sent from my Z992
There is not another rom that works on this phone because ZTE put a block on the system CPU and I recommend not trying to find another rom as you will most likely end up not having a working phone

The Following User Says Thank You to George19 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]