Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,032 Members 52,749 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Guide # LAVA IRIS 402 / 356 # Increase RAM and Internal Memory

Tip us?

oppili
Old
(Last edited by oppili; 7th June 2014 at 04:22 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Default Guide # LAVA IRIS 402 / 356 # Increase RAM and Internal Memory

1. Root Lava Iris 402 / 356 by Framaroot

Select the Framaroot 1.6.1.apk in the below link from your opera mini browser select save select open and select install.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2130276

Thanks Alephzain

In Framaroot → select Boromir. After success message reboot your phone.

Now you have Root access.

2. Install Busybox

Go to Playstore and Install Busybox by Stephen (Stericson)

Open Busybox give root permission when prompted.
Wait for few minutes to complete smart install analysis, then select install then select smart install without making any changes.

Busybox is needed for executing modifying commands.

3. Increasing Internal Memory for installing more apps

Make 2 partitions in your SD Card as primary partitions using minitool partition wizard in windows / gparted in linux (be careful to change only sd card and not computer partition)

1st as FAT32 (primary) for storing DATA, Music, Videos etc.,. (say 6.5 GB in 8GB SD Card)
2nd as FAT32 or ext4 (as primary) for linking apps with link2sd balance memory in sd card (note: kernel supports ext partitions)

You can also resize partition. See link below on how to partition
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2142844

Thanks bakpinar and sanny5

Install Link2SD from Play store → select Fat16/32

→ if it says mount script created. You can link your apps to 2nd partition through link2sd.

→ If it says mount: no such file or directory

Install Mount /System (rw / ro) and ES File Explorer from Playstore.

Select Mount R/W in Mount /System app.

Copy the below script in notepad++ in windows (not notepad, google it)

or gedit in linux

or download the file posted by raveesh84 for fat32 partition in 7th post below

or if you want to type using your phone install droideditfree

and save as install-recovery.sh and copy the file to the folder /system/etc/ (after enabling Mount r/w as said above)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#!/system/bin/sh
# mount vfat 2nd partition from sd card
sleep 2
mount -t vfat -o rw /dev/block/vold/179:2 /data/sdext2
mount -t vfat -o rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data/sdext2
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note : Replace vfat with ext4 in the above script if you want to use ext4 partition.

Read the above script horizontally in phone.
Thanks to Kierrok

Permission setting for the above file -> Enable Root explorer to ON in es file explorer by going to menu --> tools --> root explorer ON. Then long press the copied file in ES file Explorer -> select more -> select properties -> select change under permissions -> tick all the read, write and execute except write by others.

Reboot phone. Link2sd will work now.

Note:
1. Install big apps first and link all 3 files in it, otherwise small apps take space in internal memory & will not allow installation / linking of big apps.

2. If you restart your phone you might get low space error, immediately open link2sd - sort apps by lib size - select top 5 or 6 six apps one by one and link the lib file (link vanished due to restart). Space error will go.

4. Increasing RAM (SWAP)

The phone already has 190Mb internal swap. It is too low.

Install Swapper for Root → put value 756 → select active at boot. Class 10 sd card will work better.

You can also further increase SD Card speed with installing SD Speed Increase → setting kbs based on class of sdcard to maximum
and set on every boot.

Now we have overcome the twin limitations of LAVA IRIS 402 to some extent.

Flashing Stock ROM / Firmware if anything goes wrong or stuck in bootloop / bootlogo

Windows Drivers for MT6572 Can be downloaded from link given below though it is stated as for Micromax A76
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2446756 ---> select MTK Drivers in post # 5 by hdmaza. Thanks Hdmaza

Lava Iris 402 Stock ROM / Firmware is now available with MTK6572 SP Flash Tool at

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f838...12/index8.html

Or

support.moulnisky.com/index.php?dir=Lava/Iris402/

Note: merge the LAVA_IRIS402_S027_20130830_DCC folder part 1 and 2

In SP Flash tool click scatter select the scatter file in above merged folder and click firmware upgrade for full installation then plug the phone to usb.

Lava iris 356 Stock Rom / firmware is available in following link

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f838...2/index10.html

Thanks Prem India

IMEI write tool for MTK 6572 with video tutorial available at

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f606...-tool-1708731/

after input of IMEI numbers select the file in database folder downloaded in the above Stock ROM

Thanks Nokian Care

Both are working, tested. Revived phone from Bootloop (tried to install cwm recovery through mtk droid tools 2.4.8 version not supporting mt6572)

Above information have been searched / collected by me from various threads / sites for the benefit of lava iris 402 / 356 users.

Note : Though above have been tweaked by me in my Lava Iris 402 and it is working well, I am not responsible if anything goes wrong.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oppili For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

raveesh84
Old
Thanks Meter 2
good method..but have u tried it urself

Sent from my IRIS402 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added 13th November 2013 at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was 12th November 2013 at 11:59 PM ----------

Can you share "install-recovery.sh" file

raveesh84
Old
Thanks Meter 2
In my case

Link2sd is not mounting the second FAT32 Partition..please guide me with some simple and detailed instructions Sir

adarsh4286
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Location a unknown error

Sir,
I had done the following process but after copying that script and saving in notepad++ and naming as the same you have told, then copying in folder '/system/etc/' it is showing some unknown 'read only' error in ES File Explorer. Not know what to do next and where i have done the mistake & seeks your guidance.

Please suggest

Thanking you

Adarsh Gupta

raveesh84
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh4286 View Post
Sir,
I had done the following process but after copying that script and saving in notepad++ and naming as the same you have told, then copying in folder '/system/etc/' it is showing some unknown 'read only' error in ES File Explorer. Not know what to do next and where i have done the mistake & seeks your guidance.

Please suggest

Thanking you

Adarsh Gupta
You must Mount R/W first

You can also do it through Root Explorer or Rom Toolbox app.

Can you please share that script file so that I can use it in my one..

oppili
Old
(Last edited by oppili; 15th November 2013 at 10:23 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Its only 4 lines given above within lines. Install droideditfree from play store, type it and save in said folder. I have working link2sd in phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to oppili For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

raveesh84
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppili View Post
Its only 2 lines given above within lines. Install droideditfree from play store, type it and save in said folder. I have working link2sd in phone.
Thanks a lot sir.. i have done linking and swapping.. but i think i am using a fake sd card in the name of Samsung

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qyt5bu0n1...ll-recovery.sh

The link to mount script file..paste it to system/etc/ and change permissions as suggested by oppili .. link2sd will come in action after the reboot

oppili
Old
(Last edited by oppili; 15th November 2013 at 11:22 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Class 10 sdcard would perform better for swap, also increase sd card speed.

oppili
Old
(Last edited by oppili; 8th June 2014 at 04:44 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Useful apps for lava 402 / 356
-------------------------------

Android firewall - restricting which app to access internet in WiFi or mobile data. (Enable mediaserver and download manager for tube mate and play store to work respectively. Also enable android related things to WiFi and / or DATA, will be useful in case of lock due to wrong patterns)

Greenify - making apps that you are not working on to sleep

Tubemate (from opera app store) - to view or download YouTube videos in lesser data, 320x240 resolution would be good enough.

sidoo1986
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the guide. Worked perfectly on my lava iris 356.
-Sid

Tags
lava 402, lava iris 402