The point of an SD card ?

OP 420haxr

12th January 2014, 09:46 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

95 posts
I bought an SD card a couple weeks ago and its pretty much useless since everything I download always goes into my internal storage. Maybe I am doing something wrong here? So what's the point of having one

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app
12th January 2014, 09:55 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 312

992 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420haxr

I bought an SD card a couple weeks ago and its pretty much useless since everything I download always goes into my internal storage. Maybe I am doing something wrong here? So what's the point of having one

Picture, videos, music and transfer some apps.
12th January 2014, 09:58 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

95 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by riker147

Picture, videos, music and transfer some apps.

Yet none of those things actually download to my SD card. My SD card has like 9 gigs free space and internal only has 500mb left .

12th January 2014, 10:05 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 31

355 posts
More
Go into your camera settings and tell it to save to SD card and free up some of your phones space

12th January 2014, 10:40 PM   |  #5  
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 816

2,411 posts
Quote:

Yet none of those things actually download to my SD card. My SD card has like 9 gigs free space and internal only has 500mb left .

Copy the folders from internal card to extsd...

safestrap enabled, Hyperdrive driven

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob

Copy the folders from internal card to extsd...

The specific media folders..then delete the contents on internal memory....

The Following User Says Thank You to decaturbob For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th January 2014, 11:47 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 392

1,768 posts
Or use something like ES File Explorer File Manager from the Play Store or am alternative browser like Dolphin. ES has a downloader that is one of the choices when downloading a file from the web. In the ES settings you can set its default download location to the external card. Dolphin lets you pick the download location at each download. The TouchWiz camera and some others let you specify where to store photos.

Also, Titanium backup and other backup apps let you back up to the external card.

And most important of all, especially if you are crack flashing TouchWiz ROMs, keep your TWRP or CWM backups on the external card. They can be 2 GB+ each if you don't use compression, and not much better if you do. I have a 16 GB Nexus 7 and its a constant battle with backup space. I usually keep one solid reference backup and my latest only. I would love to be able to throw a 64GB card in it.
13th January 2014, 03:07 PM   |  #7  
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 1,949

3,774 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Also you can use Folder Mount app to move pretty much whatever you want to you're external SD card

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
13th January 2014, 04:10 PM   |  #8  
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 816

2,411 posts
Quote:

Best thing for you to do is educate yourself. ...As the extsd card is invaluable and something many other phone manufacturers don't even offer any more..

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread