XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The point of an SD card ?

Tip us?

420haxr
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default The point of an SD card ?

I bought an SD card a couple weeks ago and its pretty much useless since everything I download always goes into my internal storage. Maybe I am doing something wrong here? So what's the point of having one

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

riker147
Old
Thanks Meter 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420haxr View Post
I bought an SD card a couple weeks ago and its pretty much useless since everything I download always goes into my internal storage. Maybe I am doing something wrong here? So what's the point of having one

Picture, videos, music and transfer some apps.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________
Reading Is Fundamental

420haxr
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by riker147 View Post
Picture, videos, music and transfer some apps.
Yet none of those things actually download to my SD card. My SD card has like 9 gigs free space and internal only has 500mb left .

Excessiveidling
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Go into your camera settings and tell it to save to SD card and free up some of your phones space

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 429
Quote:
Yet none of those things actually download to my SD card. My SD card has like 9 gigs free space and internal only has 500mb left .

Copy the folders from internal card to extsd...

safestrap enabled, Hyperdrive driven

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob View Post
Copy the folders from internal card to extsd...

The specific media folders..then delete the contents on internal memory....

S4 powered by hashcode 3.71 safestrap HYPERDRIVE 15 by Sbreen94
The Following User Says Thank You to decaturbob For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

brizey
Old
Thanks Meter 311
Or use something like ES File Explorer File Manager from the Play Store or am alternative browser like Dolphin. ES has a downloader that is one of the choices when downloading a file from the web. In the ES settings you can set its default download location to the external card. Dolphin lets you pick the download location at each download. The TouchWiz camera and some others let you specify where to store photos.

Also, Titanium backup and other backup apps let you back up to the external card.

And most important of all, especially if you are crack flashing TouchWiz ROMs, keep your TWRP or CWM backups on the external card. They can be 2 GB+ each if you don't use compression, and not much better if you do. I have a 16 GB Nexus 7 and its a constant battle with backup space. I usually keep one solid reference backup and my latest only. I would love to be able to throw a 64GB card in it.

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 676
Quote:

Also you can use Folder Mount app to move pretty much whatever you want to you're external SD card

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 429
Quote:

Best thing for you to do is educate yourself. ...As the extsd card is invaluable and something many other phone manufacturers don't even offer any more..

S4 powered by hashcode 3.71 safestrap HYPERDRIVE 15 by Sbreen94