Info

Text Message Meta Data Question

14th January 2014, 12:01 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I received a Text message sent from an E-Mail and I was wondering if it was possible to find the individual file on the filesystem holding the metadata for the E-Mail.

If so, would I have to root the phone? And where would that file be located?

I'm a techie, so no need to warn me that I could hurt my phone or files - I'm only looking to READ, not WRITE, and I'd be making a copy of that file beforehand anyways and porting it to a PC in order to check it with whatever program is necessary to decrypt (Probably only need a hex editor, but if someone knows better, feel free to pass that information along, too :P)

Anyways, is it possible?

Thank you for your time.
the_pirate_predator
14th January 2014, 02:09 AM   |  #2  

n/a posts
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTough91

I received a Text message sent from an E-Mail and I was wondering if it was possible to find the individual file on the filesystem holding the metadata for the E-Mail.

If so, would I have to root the phone? And where would that file be located?

I'm a techie, so no need to warn me that I could hurt my phone or files - I'm only looking to READ, not WRITE, and I'd be making a copy of that file beforehand anyways and porting it to a PC in order to check it with whatever program is necessary to decrypt (Probably only need a hex editor, but if someone knows better, feel free to pass that information along, too :P)

Anyways, is it possible?

Thank you for your time.

You can get access to system files by using a file manager. To edit files, you need to root your phone.

If it is *.txt attachment that was attached in that mail, go to downloads and look for it.

Now, serious. Why so serious?

If you are looking to decompile that mail app, use APKTOOL to decompile. Search on xda for the links.

The apk file can be found on the device in: /system/app/ here

If the apk file is odexed, then you have to first deodex it to make it as one apk file Search on xda for the tutorials.

If you are asking to decrypt mails, ask NSA

I am a newbie here. So I don't know where that file is located exactly.

Press thanks if I have helped you.
14th January 2014, 07:16 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pirate_predator

You can get access to system files by using a file manager. To edit files, you need to root your phone.

If it is *.txt attachment that was attached in that mail, go to downloads and look for it.

Now, serious. Why so serious?

If you are looking to decompile that mail app, use APKTOOL to decompile. Search on xda for the links.

The apk file can be found on the device in: /system/app/ here

If the apk file is odexed, then you have to first deodex it to make it as one apk file Search on xda for the tutorials.

If you are asking to decrypt mails, ask NSA

I am a newbie here. So I don't know where that file is located exactly.

Press thanks if I have helped you.

Just to reiterate, the person sent me a TEXT. I open my text app and I read their text. I want to find the file containing that exact text. (Extra info, info you don't really need to know and MAY have confused you: The text was sent via an E-Mail... Meaning they logged into their E-Mail, typed my phone number, and my phone received a TEXT from that E-Mail address straight to my SMS inbox). I'm not sure if I was clear enough on that. But I am trying to open an SMS sent straight to my phone AS IF from another phone.

What did you mean why so serious? I'm just trying to seem professional in my question. Hate to confuse people. Also: Decrypying a file should a) not be necessary, but MAY be (still highly doubt it), and B) Does not require NSA lol. I can do it myself, and if not, I've got a buddy who could do it for sure. But ALL I'M TRYING TO GET is the "metadata" from the SMS that'll HOPEFULLY give me the metadata for the E-Mail.

Thanks for your time.
the_pirate_predator
15th January 2014, 04:45 AM   |  #4  

n/a posts
Thumbs up Solution
I think I have found a solution to your problem.

This is the absolute path to SMS and MMS DB on most android devices:

/data/data/com.android.providers/telephony/databases/mmssms.db

It is the file where these messages are stored.

I don't own this device but still I have posted the screen shots

I think you get what I am trying to say.

Press thanks if I helped
Last edited by the_pirate_predator; 18th March 2014 at 02:24 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread