Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,099 Members 45,754 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Third replacement from Verizon incoming

Tip us?
 
usatf1290
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 75
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default Third replacement from Verizon incoming

My phone had really bad screen burn in, asked for a replacement under warranty.

The replacement apparently had a motherboard defect, eventually not recognizing the battery and all sorts of other crazy behavior.

The second replacement has a dent in the glass (not crack), and under that dent are some black ghost images that look like crack lines. As if someone cracked their screen and Verizon never replaced the digitizer/Amoled panel, just the glass.

I'm worried this will get worse, and then Verizon will claim I did it and that it voided the warranty. So I'll send this one back too.

Let's see how many replacements I can go through before one works how I want it to.
 
spasch
Old
#2  
spasch's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 71
Join Date: Nov 2010
I got into the habit of taking my sealed refurbished phones with me to my bored Verizon corporate store and opening them with the manager. We both got some laughs at the utter crap they send out. I never wanted blamed for their mess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
 
Lord_Tardis
Old
#3  
Lord_Tardis's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 60
Join Date: Aug 2013
You can of course ask to recive a new and not a refurbished one. I had an issue with the charge port not accepting the cords so I called they sent a refurbished with the same issue so I called again and asked for a new phone not a refurbished as I already had issues, and they sent me a brand new one. It never hurts to ask.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lord_Tardis For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
reeladdiction
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Tardis View Post
You can of course ask to recive a new and not a refurbished one. I had an issue with the charge port not accepting the cords so I called they sent a refurbished with the same issue so I called again and asked for a new phone not a refurbished as I already had issues, and they sent me a brand new one. It never hurts to ask.
I agree, at this point I would pretty much demand a new phone after you've already received 2 bad refurbs.
 
thesoldier
Old
(Last edited by thesoldier; 18th January 2014 at 04:06 AM.)
#5  
thesoldier's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 157
Posts: 770
Join Date: Nov 2012
I got some horrible replacements sent to me when I had a Galaxy Nexus...I think 5 altogether (I then demanded to be sent an s3, and they actually agreed). I even had a replacement s3 sent to me that lasted for all of two hours before the backlight died. I never got a new phone sent to even though I asked multiple times... But you never know until you ask.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
usatf1290
Old
#6  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 75
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Tardis View Post
You can of course ask to recive a new and not a refurbished one. I had an issue with the charge port not accepting the cords so I called they sent a refurbished with the same issue so I called again and asked for a new phone not a refurbished as I already had issues, and they sent me a brand new one. It never hurts to ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeladdiction View Post
I agree, at this point I would pretty much demand a new phone after you've already received 2 bad refurbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoldier View Post
I got some horrible replacements sent to me when I had a Galaxy Nexus...I think 5 altogether (I then demanded to be sent an s3, and they actually agreed). I even had a replacement s3 sent to me that lasted for all of two hours before the backlight died. I never got a new phone sent to even though I asked multiple times... But you never know until you ask.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I wish I would have done this! I received the third replacement today, and it's "STA" date on the back is 1/11/2014.

Unfortunately it has 4.3 already installed on it. So only possibly root for me.

I thought it would be new because of that date, but I did a screen test, and it still isn't a new phone, there are dark artifacts. Testing everything out right now to make sure its ok.
 
cammykool
Old
#7  
cammykool's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 306
Posts: 1,064
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Aurora Colorado
after the third swap theyll give you a diffrent phone if you ask
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanogen View Post
I mean this with the utmost respect: go eat a bowl of dicks.
Current Phone: Walmart Family Mobile Nexus 4 8GB

Current Tablet: Hisense Sero 7 Pro

Current MP3 Player:  Apple iPhone 3G

Current BS Devices:
FreedomPop Nexus S 4G (CM11)

Alcatel OneTouch Evolve (stock because there is nothing else)

Previous Devices:
LG Optimus V (tvall CM9)
VZW Moto DROID (Kfazz CM10)
VZW Galaxy S3 (Zachf1714 CM11-Stolen)
 
putney1477
Old
#8  
putney1477's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 50
Posts: 702
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH
So do you think that any replacement phone that is sent out from now on will already have 4.3 stock on it? Yikes!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
 
cammykool
Old
#9  
cammykool's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 306
Posts: 1,064
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Aurora Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by putney1477 View Post
So do you think that any replacement phone that is sent out from now on will already have 4.3 stock on it? Yikes!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
unless its been in a warehouse for some time probably
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanogen View Post
I mean this with the utmost respect: go eat a bowl of dicks.
Current Phone: Walmart Family Mobile Nexus 4 8GB

Current Tablet: Hisense Sero 7 Pro

Current MP3 Player:  Apple iPhone 3G

Current BS Devices:
FreedomPop Nexus S 4G (CM11)

Alcatel OneTouch Evolve (stock because there is nothing else)

Previous Devices:
LG Optimus V (tvall CM9)
VZW Moto DROID (Kfazz CM10)
VZW Galaxy S3 (Zachf1714 CM11-Stolen)
 
usatf1290
Old
#10  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 75
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammykool View Post
after the third swap theyll give you a diffrent phone if you ask
With my luck they'd give me a Galaxy S3 Mini, haha (I'm assuming you can't choose the phone?). This latest replacement, albeit pre-flashed 4.3, is fine so far. I'm happy with just root and safestrap for now. My Nexus 7 (2013) is my toy now.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Browse the Internet with the Innovative Atlas Web Browser

For the most part, Chrome, Firefox, and Dolphin Browser have no real rivals among … more

Choose from Over a Thousand Battery Styles with 3Minit Battery Mod

The battery style in stock Android looks pretty dull. It doesn’t … more

Organize Your Cloud Storage Files with Unclouded

Cloud storage services like Dropbox or Google Drive have grown in popularity dramatically … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Blur Your System Notification Panel – XDA Developer TV

Listen, we love innovative applications and modules that … more