Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,962 Members 39,676 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Which S3 is the better buy?
Verizon S3 (Subsidized) 27 75.00%
Verizon Developers Edition S3 (Unsubsidized) 9 25.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Verizon S3 vs Developer Edition

Tip us?

Boardwalk30
Old
(Last edited by Boardwalk30; 17th July 2012 at 09:00 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Verizon S3 vs Developer Edition

The Battle of the Verizon S3's

Verizon S3 (Locked Bootloader)

Vs

Verizon S3 Dev. Edition

Note: Do NOT include color/storage size as a factor, we're assuming both colors and 16/32 are available for each version.

We are also assuming that the customer in question has not bought the S3 yet (Though many of you have, and your situation would requre you selling the S3 to get the Dev Edition, please assume this is prior to any purchases).

Verizon S3:

Pros:
Larger Dev community (tons more people will have the phone)
Cheaper (200/250 vs 600/650)
Available now

Dev. Edition:

Pros:
Unlocked Bootloader (Custom Kernels/Full ROMS available without need for Kexec workaround)
No Contract (Costs more, but bought off of contract)

Comments are MUCH appreciated.

Also, here is some information that is already known (need not be re-stated):

Verizon is NOT releasing an unlock-ready software update, they have confirmed it is false.

There is NO timeline or guarantee that the S3 bootloader will be cracked. Most likely, a workaround is the best we'll get, not a full unlock
You can currently install ROMS on the S3, but you cannot have all the features (Kernel features) along with the ROM. Due to the kernel wiping the custom recovery, you have to choose between the ROM or the kernel, both cannot be had.

ExodusC
Old
(Last edited by ExodusC; 17th July 2012 at 09:33 AM.)
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardwalk30 View Post
There is NO timeline or guarantee that the S3 bootloader will be cracked. Most likely, a workaround is the best we'll get, not a full unlock
A workaround already exists (kexec) and it has/is being put into practice.

For example, read:
https://plus.google.com/app/plus/mp/...&view=activity

If things continue like they have been since the S3's launch, there won't be any need for the average consumer who wants custom ROMs to shell out money for the Developer Edition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardwalk30 View Post
You can currently install ROMS on the S3, but you cannot have all the features (Kernel features) along with the ROM. Due to the kernel wiping the custom recovery, you have to choose between the ROM or the kernel, both cannot be had.
That is just misinformation. We knew from the kexec proof-of-concept we could feasibly put AOSP on the S3, assuming things like the RIL were cracked (supposedly it has been).

Since that point there was no question that we could have custom ROMs with custom kernels- just that it might be a pain to install them and potentially rebooting requiring reflashing the kernel, etc. As you can see from the link I posted above, this is almost a non-issue now.

chakra
Old
Thanks Meter 304
Also the warranty on the developers edition is only 30 days at the most or until you load custom firmware whichever comes first. LOL that kicks it for me.

grkmaster
Old
Thanks Meter 54
My question is who will be providing updates for the developer edition? Samsung?

I ask because Verizon stated in a future update it will unlock the sim card to be able to use it overseas and such. My cousin is deciding on getting the S3 and might buy the unlocked bootloader one but not sure if that already has the unlocked sim or will be available afterwards

Models:
Samsung Galaxy S III (AT&T) Pebble Blue 16GB
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Metallic Grey 32GB

If I helped you in any way, you know what to do!

mikec86
Old
Thanks Meter 45
A lot of the developers are refusing to work on the S3 developer version due to the fact they are making more money on what should be open source.

There is and will be more support for the vzw version. (I believe)

We have a lot of talented people in these forums!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

neh4pres
Old
Thanks Meter 459
the developer edition will run all the stuff the other us carriers will

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

sandhuxda
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I am on the same boat except I don't have an option of buying the on-contract phone since I signed up only in March with an iPhone 4S (already sold).

So for me, I am either going to pay $500-550 buying a locked S3 off Craigslist or pay $600 + tax to Sammy for the Dev edition. And, the locked one is now vs Dev edition is who knows when. Meanwhile, I am beating up an ancient HTC Eris

chakra
Old
Thanks Meter 304
Well I just read the page and now it says the warranty is 1 year, so I am back in. Return the 16gig ive got and buy a 32gig direct from samsung. sweet.

dvize
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I think this has to be the worst marketing move ever made. This just give programmers a bigger incentive to hack their phones instead of paying 3 times as much. Selling an optional development version to developers who are knowledgable about android and exploits is probably not the best idea. Also, it sounds like there is already a viable work around so, Verizon is probably manufacturing phones that will never fly off the shelf. I pity da foo.

Hilbe
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Dev edition is blue only (both 16gb and 32gb) according to samsung's site. Think this is a big negative.

Tags
verizon s3 bootloader unlock developer