Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,020 Members 54,257 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Asking for some suggestions

Tip us?

abced123
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Asking for some suggestions

I just bought one Nexus 7 for a relative at oversea, who has zero knowledge about rooting, bootloader, recovery, custom ROM/kernel, etc. However, I want to root the device at least, to install some good apps like Xposed framework , greenify ; yet do not want to prevent OTA by the owner himself later if he wants to.
So, is there any app to retain root if OTA ? And any other tweaks you can think of ? TIA

tatazeuz
Old
Thanks Meter 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by abced123 View Post
I just bought one Nexus 7 for a relative at oversea, who has zero knowledge about rooting, bootloader, recovery, custom ROM/kernel, etc. However, I want to root the device at least, to install some good apps like Xposed framework , greenify ; yet do not want to prevent OTA by the owner himself later if he wants to.
So, is there any app to retain root if OTA ? And any other tweaks you can think of ? TIA
If you modify the system in any way, there's a good chance that OTAs won't install in the future. It has been discussed a lot, the OTAs check the entire system partition, and if something is fishy, they won't install.

Motorola Moto G 16GB
ROM: Stock Android 4.4.2
Bootloader: Unlocked
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.1
Rooted

Nexus 7 (2012) 32GB
ROM: Stock Android 4.4.2
Bootloader: Unlocked
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.1
Rooted

RETIRED

Motorola Razr i