Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

usb stick not recognized on kit kat

OP bigv5150

11th January 2014, 08:32 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 223
 
843 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
I bought a adapter that allows me to hook up a USB stick to my maxx. It would recognize it on jb I could transfer files to and from it. I just tried it on kk and it doesn't recognize it anymore in storage. I tried every USB option in storage and nothing. Can anyone else confirm this.
11th January 2014, 09:28 PM   |  #2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 39
 
97 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigv5150

I bought a adapter that allows me to hook up a USB stick to my maxx. It would recognize it on jb I could transfer files to and from it. I just tried it on kk and it doesn't recognize it anymore in storage. I tried every USB option in storage and nothing. Can anyone else confirm this.

Yeah, unfortunately Google disabled support for USB OTG (on the go) in 4.4, so you have to get an app to re-enable it such as USB Stick Plugin and companion app Total Commander
The Following User Says Thank You to kuz142 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th January 2014, 11:17 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 223
 
843 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuz142

Yeah, unfortunately Google disabled support for USB OTG (on the go) in 4.4, so you have to get an app to re-enable it such as USB Stick Plugin and companion app Total Commander

Awesome I love when they disable useful stuff thanks for the heads up.
16th January 2014, 05:25 AM   |  #4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
43 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuz142

Yeah, unfortunately Google disabled support for USB OTG (on the go) in 4.4, so you have to get an app to re-enable it such as USB Stick Plugin and companion app Total Commander

Just want to confirm...after reading about these two apps, it looks like you don't need root on 4.4 to use these apps and be able to mount a USB drive/SD card adapter...correct?

Thx

Mark
16th January 2014, 07:05 AM   |  #5  
bwheelies's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 96
 
814 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Would this help with USB tethering?

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
16th January 2014, 01:56 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 223
 
843 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slarti77

Just want to confirm...after reading about these two apps, it looks like you don't need root on 4.4 to use these apps and be able to mount a USB drive/SD card adapter...correct?

Thx

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwheelies

Would this help with USB tethering?

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

No idea I just know it works on a rooted phone I downloaded both pass and it works great.
16th January 2014, 05:43 PM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
162 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Apps like Total Commander or Nexus Media Importer don't exactly mount the flash drive. You can access files off the flash drive, but as far as I know you can only access the files through the app. You're at the mercy of the app to let you open individual files in another app (e.g., through Total Commander you can open a movie file with DicePlayer).

But since the flash drive isn't really mounted in the normal file system, other apps can just go in and see all the files. This means media cataloging apps (e.g., Mizuu) and music players don't really work well.

This is a disappointing change. I'm not going to root my Droid Maxx over it, but I did root my Nexus 7 tablet largely to get around this limitation.
17th January 2014, 04:38 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 223
 
843 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
I switched to stick mount it let's you use any file app. All I need it for is transferring movies or music from my phone to USB and it works great.

The Following User Says Thank You to bigv5150 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes