Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,588 Members 47,078 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Problem with Wizard -> GPRS and receiving calls

Tip us?

egrib
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Problem with Wizard -> GPRS and receiving calls

Dear technically gifted people,

I have recently purchased the Wizard (i-mate k-jam) and have the following three problems:

1. Sometimes the phone does not receive calls and they go directly to voicemail, even though I am in an area where all mobiles work and the phone shows full reception.

2. If reset the device or turn on/off flight mode, the device has no problem connecting to GPRS/EDGE (provider MTS/Russia), but after some time it drops the connection and cannot reconnect until next reset.

3. Flight mode switch does not always work. Have to turn it on 2-3 times before phone responds and turns the phone back on.

If someone would be kind enough to help me resolve them I would greatly appreciate it. I recently upgraded to the new ROM (the one posted on the clubimate site in March) but it did not seem to help the issue.

Regards,
egrib

chrisredmayne
Old
Thanks Meter 3
i have the same problem! Have to turn it off and then back on again, very annoying!

Do you think turning the voicemail off will sort it out? I dont really have any need for it anyway

hondophred
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default could be SIM related.

My wizard showed the same instability. I needed to reboot every night otherwise i would get dropped calls (straight to voice mail) no GRPS access, and the charging wouldn't work. I changed roms etc. What finally did the trick for me is I got my service provider (FIDO in canada) to change my SIM from the 2001 card i had to a current one.

It seems to have done the trick.

egrib
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
From my own experience and from seeing all the posts on this forum it seems like this device is full of bugs and is just not worth the time and money.

As there a similar device out there that actually works and people have no problem using?

Thanks.

eva_d
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Default Re: Problem with Wizard -> GPRS and receiving calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrib
1. Sometimes the phone does not receive calls and they go directly to voicemail, even though I am in an area where all mobiles work and the phone shows full reception.
did you have the same problem with previous handsets in the same area? such problem are quite often caused by network issues not mobile and you should try reporting it to your operator's customer care. however, if such problem persist only on wizard and in various areas, then it's probably problem with mobile...

Quote:
2. If reset the device or turn on/off flight mode, the device has no problem connecting to GPRS/EDGE (provider MTS/Russia), but after some time it drops the connection and cannot reconnect until next reset.
you mean [G] icon on top of screen? well, this is a feature of this model, that after some time it detaches from GPRS, so [G] icon disappears. however if you'll try to connect to internet through GPRS, it will attach again and connect, so i wouldn't be so much concerned about it.

Quote:
3. Flight mode switch does not always work. Have to turn it on 2-3 times before phone responds and turns the phone back on.
i've had the same problem, but i noticed that it just needs a bit of time for phone to switch on again. so when you're trying to switch off flight mode, tap it once and wait a bit. it should turn on after a while. at least it works this way with me.. ;)
Dawid 'evad' Lorenz

egrib
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
eva_d,

I think you are entirely correct on point 3 - flight mode switch takes some time.

As for the other points, I don't think they are as easily resolved. When the phone does not receive phone calls (and calls go straight to voicemail) it does not seem to be a carrier problem since 1. i never had this problem with the same card in a different mobile and 2. once it stops receiving calls it continues to do so until a reset, regardless of where I am located.

The GPRS issue - i know what you are referring to with regards to the [G] icon (I have it all the time) but once i receive or make a phone call, I cannot reconnect to the internet until i reset the device. Also not a carrier problem. This seems to be an issue with all MTS users in Russia. So far unresolved.

Anyone other ideas anyone? Thanks

vishny
Old
Thanks Meter 1
It's well known issue (GPRS on MTS Moscow; is your mts is in Moscow?). It was fixed in new ROM, that just was released week ago. Russian version is available.
Hermes
20070408 WWE 3.24.0.4 by LVSW
RADIO 1.38

araje
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Default Re: Problem with Wizard -> GPRS and receiving calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva_d
Quote:
did you have the same problem with previous handsets in the same area? such problem are quite often caused by network issues not mobile and you should try reporting it to your operator's customer care. however, if such problem persist only on wizard and in various areas, then it's probably problem with mobile....
I have a kindoff similar problem. Just got my Qtek yesterday and I tried latching to cingular. What happens is when I switch on the phone, it takes forever to latch to the network. I see the
Y.
Y..
Y... going on for ever. In my old phone, just switch it on and there it connects to cingular. I tried doing the manual/automatic network selection and everything but it just takes too much of time to latch on. It finally latches (thank god !) but still its annoying. But once connected, itnever drops off or goes to voice mail. Looks like it has a starting problem

Also, reception wise, it shows less bars then my old phone when I am sitting on the same chair :?

Did anybody face the same problem, or am I the blessed one. Any tweaks or something that can be done ?

jonliu
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I also have problems sometimes connecting to edge/gprs, I think it might have something to do with handshaking accross towers.

I noticed that this happens when I enable TOMTOMTRAFFIC, it will get the traffic the first time I start tomtom, then 15 minutes into driving when it trys to get a traffic update it will not connect to gprs, it will keep dialing and eventually disconnect. Then after a rest, it will connect again but again after about 15 minutes of driving it has the same problem. Pretty annoying.

egrib
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Vishny,

I am indeed on Moscow MTS. You mention a new ROM that fixes this - are you referring to the ROM that came out early this year (2.16.9.1) ? If so, I did the upgrade (english version) and it did not seem to help. If there is something more recent that fixes the MTS problem, please let me know where I can download it.

Also, are you having and problems with receiving calls? Thanks.