Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,313 Members 47,875 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Used a not great tutorial now kindle fire hd won't restart. Help?

Tip us?

purrplekat1989
Old
(Last edited by purrplekat1989; 19th January 2014 at 02:00 AM.) Reason: added more info
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Used a not great tutorial now kindle fire hd won't restart. Help?

Okay starting off with this is the tutorial I was using: rootkindlefire . com/kindle-fire-root/how-to-root-convert-kindle-fire-hd-8-9-into-pure-android-tablet and I like a lot of people in the linked youtube comments (which I stupidly didn't read before trying, yes I am aware that was stupid) am stalled after step 20. But my kindle fire HD doesn't seem to have TWRP because it turned on and the kindle fire logo is still orange. It didn't go to blue like most of the other peoples did.

Can someone please help me to either undo my mess or help me get past this block? I wasn't able to find any help in the comments or a related thread on here.

I think it's stuck in fastboot but I can't get it to go into recovery so I'm not sure.

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 608

DONATE TO ME
It's not in fastboot, its just hung on the boot loader. If you have never installed the fastboot driver before I reccomend fixing this partially from Linux, your device will be detected briefly when its first turned on as a fastboot device, but it's a pain to try to install the drivers in that brief moment on windows. It is way easier to get it into fastboot from and Ubuntu live CD by installing fastboot from the software center on a Ubuntu 13.10 live CD, and then running this with the kindle unplugged and off:
Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product
Then after it says waiting for device, plug the kindle on and wait for the device to say fastboot, from there you can boot back into windows and use kindle fire first aid to restore.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null
The Following User Says Thank You to stunts513 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

purrplekat1989
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513 View Post
It's not in fastboot, its just hung on the boot loader. If you have never installed the fastboot driver before I reccomend fixing this partially from Linux, your device will be detected briefly when its first turned on as a fastboot device, but it's a pain to try to install the drivers in that brief moment on windows. It is way easier to get it into fastboot from and Ubuntu live CD by installing fastboot from the software center on a Ubuntu 13.10 live CD, and then running this with the kindle unplugged and off:
Code:
Then after it says waiting for device, plug the kindle on and wait for the device to say fastboot, from there you can boot back into windows and use kindle fire first aid to restore.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app
I'm glad to know I didn't break it haha. Thanks for the advice.

autogeek
Old
(Last edited by autogeek; 21st January 2014 at 05:40 AM.)
Thanks Meter 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513 View Post
Code:

Hello,

I have found myself stuck in the same situation. I have the fastboot drivers installed and I can get into fastboot using your command. My question is about the version I have and the available restore versions.

I have the 8.4.6 software version. and I see in first aide that the newest for the HD 8.9 is 8.2.4.

I got stuck after a root attempt, the exploit worked but the files didn't install properly it seems. when I rebooted I just get stuck at the Kindle Fire screen no animation?

Any idea if it is safe to restore 8.2.4 on a 8.4.6 device? In uncertain if downgraded are safe.

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 608

DONATE TO ME
Downgrades are perfectly safe, go for it.

My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null
The Following User Says Thank You to stunts513 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

autogeek
Old
Thanks Meter 197
Cool thanks man, just wanted to know if there were any big don'ts before I try the downgrade.

I'll give it a go tonight after dinner.

Stupid me used the old KFFA from the rooting thread to try and root (may or may not have been the issue). I have the latest now all ready to go for the restore attempt.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk