Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,758 Members 37,989 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is T-mobile Prepaid $30/month Plan (5 GB data, 100 min talk) Possible on Note 3?

Tip us?

letsplaay
Old
(Last edited by letsplaay; 3rd December 2013 at 01:44 AM.) Reason: clarity
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Is T-mobile Prepaid $30/month Plan (5 GB data, 100 min talk) Possible on Note 3?

I've searched the internet and this forum, but could not find the answer, so please excuse my oversight if I have missed one. I'm planning to buy a T-mobile Galaxy Note 3 and was wondering whether it would be possible to get the $30/month (5GB data, 100 min. talk) plan with the Note 3? I'm asking because the T-mobile website seems to suggest that I would need a "prepaid" device in order to get this prepaid plan.

If yes, what would be the best way to purchase this option? Device from T-Mobile website, and simcard+plan from Walmart?

Also, is it possible to buy the Note 3 with the 24-month payment option instead of full pay with this prepaid plan (instead of regular plans)? Thank you all!

1981resse
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I don't think a prepaid plan comes with the payment plan for 24 months

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to 1981resse For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CalcProgrammer1
Old
Thanks Meter 553
You can certainly use the Note 3 on that plan. I am and it works great! That said, there's no financing available for any prepaid plans - financing comes with standard post-paid "pseudo-contract" plans. I paid $680 up front for my Note 3 on swappa, got it in 3 days, got my prepaid SIM switched out to a MicroSIM at the T-Mo store, popped it in the Note 3, and it came right up. I originally set up the prepaid plan on my AT&T Note 1 (SGH-I717) which I cancelled my AT&T contract on, unlocked, and took to the T-Mobile store to get a prepaid SIM for. They had no issues setting up the $30 plan on a new SIM for bring-your-own-device use.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-900T 32GB
Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717 16GB
HP TouchPad 32GB
Archos 43 Internet Tablet - 16GB + 32GB mSD
Dell Axim X50v - 128MB + 16GB CF
The Following User Says Thank You to CalcProgrammer1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mr Ian B
Old
Thanks Meter 173
Just paid off my Note 3 and activated a SIM card back to my old prepaid $30.00 plan. Damn I love it along w $3.99 Skype U.S.A. unlimited call plan.

Is the tethering plan included in prepaid plans too?

Tia,

Ian B

mha1021
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ian B View Post
Just paid off my Note 3 and activated a SIM card back to my old prepaid $30.00 plan. Damn I love it along w $3.99 Skype U.S.A. unlimited call plan.

Tia,

Ian B
With the $30 plan i get 100mb for tethering. that's what it show in Tmobile MyAccount app.
Nokia N Series, IPHONE 1 - 4
Dell Streak5
Galaxy Note N7000
Galaxy Nexus
Galaxy Note I717
Galaxy Note 2 T889
Galaxy S4 M919
Galaxy NOTE 3 M900A
The Following User Says Thank You to mha1021 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Techngro
Old
Thanks Meter 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ian B View Post

Tia,

Ian B
I assume the Skype calling uses data instead of cell minutes, yes? How is the quality of Skype on T-Mobile's 4G network? Are calls clear on your end, or do people complain about your sound on the other end of the call? I wouldn't mind paying $4 per month for decent unlimited calling.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-900T
Bought on Swappa, Blocked by T-Mobile
Given life again via Chainfire's RegionLock Away
Stock
Hyperdrive KK RLS3.1
Effortless ROM Rev 6

Kindle Fire
ROM: Back to Stock

2006: Samsung A900
2007: Original iPhone
2010: Nokia N900
2010: Moto Cliq
2011: HTC G2
2012: Galaxy S II
2012: Galaxy Note

Mr Ian B
Old
Thanks Meter 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techngro View Post
I assume the Skype calling uses data instead of cell minutes, yes? How is the quality of Skype on T-Mobile's 4G network? Are calls clear on your end, or do people complain about your sound on the other end of the call? I wouldn't mind paying $4 per month for decent unlimited calling.
Correct, it uses data. I use Skype for calls when on wifi and the 100 mins for when not in wifi. Calls are crystal clear on both ends. Give it a shot.

Ian B
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Ian B For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chuko303
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 399
That is sick. Might just pay mjne off an go with that I'm never talking on the phone so really I use less than 100 minutes a month

Mr Ian B
Old
Thanks Meter 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuko303 View Post
That is sick. Might just pay mjne off an go with that I'm never talking on the phone so really I use less than 100 minutes a month

Exactly and the unlimited text and 5gb of data makes it a better plan than the base post paid plan at $50.00 bucks.

Been using the plan for 1 year now except for the 3 months that it took me to pay off the Note 3.

Ian B
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Ian B For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fastgeek
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Know I'm a newbie here; but can confirm that I jumped straight into the $30 "Walmart" plan with a brand new Note3 without issue. I too bought mine on Swappa. Ordered a couple activation kits from Walmart online (were actually a pain to find), picked them up later and activated my Note3 at home with no problem. I will say that at first TMo makes it seem like you need to give them another $30 straight off; but that's not the case. When you get to the point of the registration process in which they want a credit card / more money, ignore it and use your phone. Did the exact same process on my wifes Lumia.

My thanks to Mr. Ian B for mentioning the Skype plan. Think I heard about it before; but have since forgotten. My wife went over 100 minutes in no time flat. Not sure I want to go through the hoops of making Google Voice work on her WP8 device for the next six months before Google kills the 3rd party access... so chances are Skype it is!

The Following User Says Thank You to fastgeek For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]