Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,547 Members 45,876 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] No "Black X" Buttons to Turn off background tasks

Tip us?

mrdh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] No "Black X" Buttons to Turn off background tasks

Brand new Lumia 925 and when I use the back button, I see no black X buttons to turn off background tasks. Did this option change? I got the Nokia Black update. This is my fourth windows phone.

where's the black X?

mrdh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default ugh, I'm old

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdh View Post
Brand new Lumia 925 and when I use the back button, I see no black X buttons to turn off background tasks. Did this option change? I got the Nokia Black update. This is my fourth windows phone.

where's the black X?

they changed this, didn't they. double tap the back arrow.

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2645
Eh? It's press-and-hold Back on my phone. Requires GDR3, which you can get direct from Microsoft even if the OEM firmware isn't available yet. Did Nokia do something weird with the task switcher?
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

AndyFZ1S
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Not that I know of, I have gdr3 and black and have the black x buttons

jordanmills
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
Eh? It's press-and-hold Back on my phone. Requires GDR3, which you can get direct from Microsoft even if the OEM firmware isn't available yet. Did Nokia do something weird with the task switcher?
Probably. Nokia is really starting to piss me off the way they're breaking standard functionality of windows phones.

xandros9
Old
(Last edited by xandros9; 19th January 2014 at 01:08 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanmills View Post
Probably. Nokia is really starting to piss me off the way they're breaking standard functionality of windows phones.
it wasnt done intentionally. its intact practically anywhere else. (e.g. my 920 with U3/Black) (they're only added)

Also worth noting it never was necessary, it was just a gesture to appease the masses used to closing every single app after every single use on Android and to a lesser extent iOS. I'll admit the extra control was nice though.

but it is strange how the (X) is missing, have you tried a hard reset? confirmed it is indeed Black onboard?
have you tried tapping where the (X) should've showed up?
Palm m505 > Zire 71 / Tungsten C > Tungsten T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 > Pre 2 > Treo Pro > HTC Aria > HD2 > Treo 650 > Lumia 920

jordanmills
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
it wasnt done intentionally. its intact practically anywhere else. (e.g. my 920 with U3/Black) (they're only added)

Also worth noting it never was necessary, it was just a gesture to appease the masses used to closing every single app after every single use on Android and to a lesser extent iOS. I'll admit the extra control was nice though.

but it is strange how the (X) is missing, have you tried a hard reset? confirmed it is indeed Black onboard?
It's kind of necessary. Sometimes you need to close a poorly designed app to make it do something. Or sometimes the app is running wild in the background and you need to make it go away.

xandros9
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanmills View Post
It's kind of necessary. Sometimes you need to close a poorly designed app to make it do something. Or sometimes the app is running wild in the background and you need to make it go away.
I've yet to find such an app in my own experience, but then again thats just me. (but yea, spamming back was a pain when you did want to close something on a whim)

taming crazy apps in the background is done via the background tasks section under applications in Settings since multitasking is more a la iOS than Android and standard Windows.
Palm m505 > Zire 71 / Tungsten C > Tungsten T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 > Pre 2 > Treo Pro > HTC Aria > HD2 > Treo 650 > Lumia 920

jordanmills
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:

have you tried tapping where the (X) should've showed up?
Quote:
I've yet to find such an app in my own experience, but then again thats just me. (but yea, spamming back was a pain when you did want to close something on a whim)

taming crazy apps in the background is done via the background tasks section under applications in Settings since multitasking is more a la iOS than Android and standard Windows.
tinder unauthorized is one that immediately comes to mind. Viber, too, if you haven't fully set it up.

Not sure about that. I've had issues where I've loaded complex pages in IE, gone to start, then had it still burning the battery even though it's not in the foreground. I think I had issues with nokia maps or drive doing the same. Might have something to do with extra capabilities not available to third party devs.
The Following User Says Thank You to jordanmills For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2645
Also, most apps will be forcibly closed if you re-launch them from Start. It's possible to make an app not do that (make it resume instead) but almost nobody does.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.