Pin Your Photos on Android Lollipop with Photo Pinner

In the last few weeks,we have been talking quite a bit about Android 5.0 Lollipop. This … more

Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Hands On – XDA TV

Perhaps one of the more peculiar announcements this year was the curved edge-screened … more

Nova Launcher Update Brings Lollipop Functionality and Feel

One of the most popular third party launcher on Android, Nova Launcher, has just … more

Check Your I/O Usage with Iotop for Android

Ever needed to check the I/O usage of apps? If so, you probably tried searching for an iotop … more

[GUIDE] Repartitioning SD Card for link2sd for DUMMIES.

OP Master_Key

19th June 2012, 05:48 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 234

530 posts
More
Alright, this is a guide for those people who need to increase/decrease their size of ext2/3/4 partition or even change SD card as I did from 2 GB Samsung to 4 GB Kingston Class 4.
This has been tested on windows 8.
Windows only recognizes the first partition of any removable device, this is where the problem lies while changing SD card or while making the amendments to your Ext partition. You apps will all be LOST if you format without care. Don't get hyper, this is quick and easy guide.

Things you will need.
1.Minitool Partition wizard home edition (probably the same which you used to create the partition)
2.Ext2 Volume manager.
3.Ext2IFS for windows.

USB mount is strictly not advisable, use a card reader. If you don't have any then use a mobile which is not an android, Nokia as for example.

1. Switch your mobile off, remove SD card. Insert it into card reader and then to USB port.
2.Windows will show you your FAT/FAT32 partition.
3.Backup your FAT/FAT32 partition. This is because you are gonna delete this partition.
4.After backing up open Minitool Partition wizard, delete your FAT/FAT32 partition. Be sure to delete this only, DO NOT DELETE EXT2/3/4. Apply those changes.
5.Go to Ext2 Volume manager and select the removable SD card. Double click on Linux partition. Then click on mount points and done.
6.Go to My computer and you will find your Ext2/3/4 partition as a removable drive. Backup this, be sure to copy all the files. Do not leave any file.
7.Now delete this partition from Minitool Partition wizard, your full card is empty now.
8.Create a new parition as primary and Ext2/3/4. Drag this to the far right. Be sure that all the unallocated space is before this Ext partition. Not even a single MB should be after this partition. Apply changes. Select the size of partition according to your convenience.
9.Copy all those EXT backup files to this Ext partition. Windows will show this partition now. If it does not, go to Ext2 Volume manager and do the steps you did before.
10.Now that you have created an Ext partition of your desirable size. Go to Minitool Partition wizard and create a primary FAT/FAT32 partition in the unallocated space. Apply changes.
11.Copy those backup files on this new partition of fat file system which you copied. Now the Ext partition will not be shown in windows.
12.You are done! Insert SD into your phone and power it on. The first boot will take a little longer than normal.
13.Go to link2sd and check the storage, you will be having all the apps + your partition size is increased/decreased now.

If you have any problems tell me.
To all those who want to create a pictorial guide, DO IT BUT INCLUDE A LINK TO MY ORIGINAL GUIDE.
Last edited by Master_Key; 23rd June 2012 at 07:47 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Master_Key For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd June 2012, 04:31 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

530 posts
More
Close to 100 views still nothing here. :/

Sent from my GT-S5360 using XDA
23rd June 2012, 01:45 PM   |  #3  
Flag Imus City
Thanks Meter: 4,676

568 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Key

Close to 100 views still nothing here. :/

I believe that increasing means getting bigger ext partition without the need to re-partition the card. If I were you I would create a guide in RESIZING EXT PARTITIONS, else rename your guide to "how to repartition a SD Card"

Sent from my GT-S5360 using xda premium
23rd June 2012, 05:13 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

530 posts
More
Sorry, changed it.
Well that day I had laptop and since then I am using mobile so forgot to check the caption.
Sorry again

22nd April 2014, 12:15 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Unhappy Problem
I followed all of your steps to the letter to repartition and increase the size of my link2sd partition and after rebooting my phone, I'm getting nothing but error messages and "force close" left and right. I'm not sure at all what had gone wrong. :/ I backed up every single file from both partitions, but everything appears to be borked.

UPDATE: it's apparently not mounting the second partition; that's at least what it seems to be telling me as I'm going through some of the stuff on link2sd
Last edited by ElusiveZatchmo; 22nd April 2014 at 12:22 AM.
23rd May 2014, 06:59 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

530 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElusiveZatchmo

I followed all of your steps to the letter to repartition and increase the size of my link2sd partition and after rebooting my phone, I'm getting nothing but error messages and "force close" left and right. I'm not sure at all what had gone wrong. :/ I backed up every single file from both partitions, but everything appears to be borked.

UPDATE: it's apparently not mounting the second partition; that's at least what it seems to be telling me as I'm going through some of the stuff on link2sd

Can you tell me in more detail what did you do?
Also what kind of SD card are you using and other details.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread