LG G PAD 8.3 will have an official 4.4 KitKat update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

chargergti

Jul 7, 2013

el Filou

Feb 15, 2008
Interesting that this still lists the V507L (the 4G LTE version) even though it's not been released yet and many people think it never will.

johnny_boy

Sep 12, 2012
but

Nice! I was thinking to move to CM11 now that it seems to support HDMI working (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49601193), but if this update happens soon I'll wait for it... :fingers-crossed:

Yea but the update still keeps lg's crappy skin and bloatware intact while the cm11 rom doesn't. Plus you won't be waiting around for likely a long time to grt the update. BUT at least lg's rom is guaranteed to work with basically every app while there are lots of reports that cm11 roms don't work with a number of games.

NJ_RAMS_FAN

Sep 28, 2011
North Bergen, NJ
Yea but the update still keeps lg's crappy skin and bloatware intact while the cm11 rom doesn't. Plus you won't be waiting around for likely a long time to grt the update. BUT at least lg's rom is guaranteed to work with basically every app while there are lots of reports that cm11 roms don't work with a number of games.

actually, you can delete the bloatware. LG actually lets you delete it while others just let you disable it. pretty sure I did this to some aps before I went with cm rom.

Impromark

Nov 28, 2013
Calgary
Ohh, that's awesome. I've been enjoying the LG 4.2.2 ROM, but this will just sweeten the deal. Looks like the industry as a whole is expecting to get their flagship lineups to 4.4 and will probably leave them there; that'll probably make the consumer market happy for a year (or at least until their next wave of products hit). In the meantime, there's always CM!

Mark

Last edited:

woody1

May 2, 2010
Atlanta

I don't think the LG software is that bad, especially if you use a 3rd party launcher. It's true that the custom roms look nicer, but sounds like you lose some features, e.g., Slimport.

For me, the best solution is a customized rom based on LG stock that is compatible with all the apps, but cleans up the interface a little.

Impromark

Nov 28, 2013
Calgary
I don't think the LG software is that bad, especially if you use a 3rd party launcher. It's true that the custom roms look nicer, but sounds like you lose some features, e.g., Slimport.

For me, the best solution is a customized rom based on LG stock that is compatible with all the apps, but cleans up the interface a little.

Agreed. A custom launcher would be nice, but this will do for me. I love me my Knock On (power button? What's that?) and HDMI. And as non-stock as LG's interface is, it's still far closer to stock than most OEMs and will work for me. I'm coming from Acer and Asus tablets and it's much more like them than Samsung, etc.

Mark

Stujoe

Dec 4, 2013
I am hoping that article is correct. I used to use CM11 on my old tablet but tried it and a couple others on my LG and missed the LG interface. SO I am now running stock with Apex. A 4.4 update should be nice.

RobilarOCN

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
I don't mind the interface. Frankly I tend to ignore them on tablets. I use a tablet for it's apps not for how pretty the icons look...

I considering trying a custom ROM but I need slimport as I output the tablet to HDMI.

I also read that the knock on feature does not work with customer roms and I actually like that function.

4.4 with everything working is just fine with me.

Now we wait.

Unless of courses Samsung releases it's new Tab Pro 8.4 before then. I'm planning on picking it up.

Mercvtio

Jul 29, 2011
Montpellier
I don't mind the interface. Frankly I tend to ignore them on tablets. I use a tablet for it's apps not for how pretty the icons look...

I considering trying a custom ROM but I need slimport as I output the tablet to HDMI.

I also read that the knock on feature does not work with customer roms and I actually like that function.

4.4 with everything working is just fine with me.

Now we wait.

Unless of courses Samsung releases it's new Tab Pro 8.4 before then. I'm planning on picking it up.

Well, I don't wait anymore. Knock on and off works with CM11 and Mahdi ; HDMI through slimport as well. It might even work with the other roms, but I haven't tried them.

DJ_Headshot

Feb 9, 2012
This is good news as I'm still running the stock 4.2.2 LG Rom on my g pad 8.3 and don't feel like messing around with custom rooms hopefully it comes out soon.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kimzplaze

Jun 25, 2008
i am happy with the performance.. using rooted stock, did not install any custom recovery :)

rooted cause i want to use gl2sd, adaway and helium :)

but it's still gd to hear that we have official updates to kitkat :)

riel88

Feb 5, 2014
Im still stock as well. dont pklan on changing either . especially with kitkat coming soon !

Status
Not open for further replies.