Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Fix][N9005][ExtSdCard Write Issue][Kitkat 4.4.2][NA6] - Rooted

OP mateenf

20th January 2014, 01:44 PM   |  #1  
mateenf's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 145
 
184 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
More
Hello All,

Since kitkat 4.4.2 was released on the Galaxy Note 3, many users were unable to write files to the External SD Card. Below is a simple fix for rooted users on the Galaxy Note 3 N9005 ( International Snapdragon Variant).

**Please be advised that I have only tested this on my personal N9005. However, you are free to test it on your own devices at your own risk!! **

1. Using a root-enabled file manager, navigate to /system/etc/permissions
2. Edit platform.xml and find the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.
3. Add an additional group definition for this permission...<group gid="media_rw" />
4. Save the changes to the file.
5. Restart.

Attached is a copy of my platform.xml.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-20-17-52-22.jpg
Views:	33474
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	2527783  
Last edited by mateenf; 20th January 2014 at 02:12 PM. Reason: spelling check
The Following 116 Users Say Thank You to mateenf For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th January 2014, 08:36 PM   |  #2  
zpjotr's Avatar
Member
Flag Tallinn
Thanks Meter: 0
 
57 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2008
More
try it yesterday 4 times and every time I had a Bluetooth error.
The only way I was able to use Kitkat with my note was using a custom ROM. Do not understand, what are custom rom builders do other way, but it work for me...

And more. Even with custom rom, the external sd is showed the "different" way, when in 4.3 , For example, in Total commander, there is no SD2. and some other software, do not define microsd as SD card. Just another folder in fail system...
20th January 2014, 10:48 PM   |  #3  
mateenf's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 145
 
184 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpjotr

try it yesterday 4 times and every time I had a Bluetooth error.
The only way I was able to use Kitkat with my note was using a custom ROM. Do not understand, what are custom rom builders do other way, but it work for me...

And more. Even with custom rom, the external sd is showed the "different" way, when in 4.3 , For example, in Total commander, there is no SD2. and some other software, do not define microsd as SD card. Just another folder in fail system...

Well, the architecture is the same and permission manisfest is used with all roms, sammy developers forgot to add a group I guess or did it on purpose, who knows.. but this worked like a charm for me after I flashed kitkat and felt handicapped.

Maybe you have messed up with some permission or something if you're getting the bluetooth error.

Try to do a clean flash again and then edit the file. If clean flash is not possibe pm me ur email. I will send you my xml and try to replace it with yours to see if that fixes your problem.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app
21st January 2014, 03:33 PM   |  #4  
Junior Member
Flag Valencia
Thanks Meter: 4
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2009
More
Thumbs down
this method isnt working for me I already modified the file but still cant make the programs to access the sd card, worst than that my internal storage is "write protected"... Im starting to think to get rid of this phone it has been nothing but problems since the beggining: Region Lock, Knox crap and now the SD... whats next?
The Following User Says Thank You to carlomagno78 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st January 2014, 04:06 PM   |  #5  
mateenf's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 145
 
184 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlomagno78

this method isnt working for me I already modified the file but still cant make the programs to access the sd card, worst than that my internal storage is "write protected"... Im starting to think to get rid of this phone it has been nothing but problems since the beggining: Region Lock, Knox crap and now the SD... whats next?

Can you add a screen of the platform.xml? Perhaps you may have wrongly entered the permission gid.. And you need to restart the phone after editing the file.
Last edited by mateenf; 21st January 2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Add information
21st January 2014, 04:14 PM   |  #6  
Junior Member
Flag Valencia
Thanks Meter: 4
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateenf

Can you add a screen of the platform.xml? Perhaps you may have wrongly entered the permission gid.. And you need to restart the phone after editing the file.

Sure here it is.

I made it by flashing the zip file, am not able to copy or edit files in the internal memory because "write protection"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-21-10-41-13.jpg
Views:	9045
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	2530084  
The Following User Says Thank You to carlomagno78 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st January 2014, 05:30 PM   |  #7  
mateenf's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 145
 
184 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlomagno78

Sure here it is.

I made it by flashing the zip file, am not able to copy or edit files in the internal memory because "write protection"

I'd strongly recommend to do a full wipe and factory reset if you're having a custom recovery. Ive read fee forums outside XDA that many a times flashable zips have cause a problem to platform.xml.

If you dont have a custom recovery then you may need to flash the firmware again and then edit the file.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app
21st January 2014, 09:32 PM   |  #8  
zpjotr's Avatar
Member
Flag Tallinn
Thanks Meter: 0
 
57 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateenf

Well, the architecture is the same and permission manisfest is used with all roms, sammy developers forgot to add a group I guess or did it on purpose, who knows.. but this worked like a charm for me after I flashed kitkat and felt handicapped.

Maybe you have messed up with some permission or something if you're getting the bluetooth error.

Try to do a clean flash again and then edit the file. If clean flash is not possibe pm me ur email. I will send you my xml and try to replace it with yours to see if that fixes your problem.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app

thank you for proposed help. But I'm to tired of setting up phone after all weekend "fun" with rom flashed (all together 5-6 times with full wipe)

I'm almost sure, I wasn't messing with anything else - I did it more then 4 times, and Bluetooth was working until I edit platform.xml
now, I start to think, it's possible the ownership and permissions were changed after editing (I was using total commander and did not check it after saving the file).

But, I'm not the only one - there someone having same issue:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...38&postcount=3
P.S. I wasn't modifying /mnt/media_rw
21st January 2014, 10:50 PM   |  #9  
martiros's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
90 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2008
More
some application don't have permission to write extSdCard
I made this mod but some application don't have permission to write ExtSdCard.

these application in my case are: dolphin wont download files, tomtom navigator doesn't work but moving tomtom folder in internal sdcard it works.

Is there anybody that have same issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateenf

Hello All,

Since kitkat 4.4.2 was released on the Galaxy Note 3, many users were unable to write files to the External SD Card. Below is a simple fix for rooted users on the Galaxy Note 3 N9005 ( International Snapdragon Variant).

**Please be advised that I have only tested this on my personal N9005. However, you are free to test it on your own devices at your own risk!! **

1. Using a root-enabled file manager, navigate to /system/etc/permissions
2. Edit platform.xml and find the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.
3. Add an additional group definition for this permission...<group gid="media_rw" />
4. Save the changes to the file.
5. Restart.

Attached is a copy of my platform.xml.

21st January 2014, 11:40 PM   |  #10  
ChardC's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
67 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2007
Donate to Me
Hey, I'm having the same issue, it's affecting my titanium backups. I tried the very same method above over the weekend based on instructions from another thread, but still no success.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

Hey, your permissions are correct, previously I granted sdcard_rw rights, but not media_rw as mentioned in your discussion. Since the changes to show
"
<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
<group gid="sdcard_r" />
<group gid="sdcard_rw" />
<group gid="media_rw" />
</permission>
"
I'm able to write and titanium backup is running smoothly.

Thanks and Cheers!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChardC For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
externalsdcard, fix sdcard, kitkat, sdcard
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes