[FAQ] Jan 2014 Bionic handbook

Search This thread

chrisp6825

Mar 13, 2009
I've noticed that some new people are still trickling in to the Bionic scene, and stumble over old/outdated guides, ROMs, root methods, etc. So I figured I'd post up a refresher on the current state of things. Hopefully this is more helpful than spamful.
(this is the first time I'm writing one of these posts, so please judge hard ;)

TLDR tips:
  • HDMI can only be used on Stock based ROMs, or alternatively in AOSP ROMs by installing the JBX-kernel.
  • You must use Linux, or a Virtual Machine running Linux (easy method) to root JB (though there is apparently one other way using safe root).
  • ROMs that predate the JB update won't boot on JB firmware.
  • Bootstrap will (soft) brick a Bionic on JB firmware.
  • The Bionic is locked, we use "SafeStrap" as our recovery to install ROMs, flash zips, etc.
  • Downgrading below JB is not (yet) possible. Maybe one day, but I don't cross fingers.
  • House of Moto is your (soft) brick buster, RSD alternative for clean wipes, upgrade tool to JB from ICS/GB.

Firmwares / Moto updates / Android Versions
There have been just a few official updates from Moto for the Bionic, and none have been reversible (excluding some ICS leaks). The current most updated official version is moto-98.72.22 on android-4.1.2 or Jelly Bean. Updating to JB will cause removal of any previous root access.
A much easier way to update is to use the House of Moto; it'll perform a FDR and optionally wipe your SD card, but it is the easier/more thorough/recommended update path.
Current official update : cdma_targa_9.8.2O-72_VZW-22_cfc.xml.zip
md5sum : 1481ac6035682b732f76a621a36a9153

Info about other firmwares/updates/OTAs (.905, .2233, .232, .246 FXZs)

The Bionic has had a number of updates, some official and some leaked. There was a security change during its course of history, and because of it we are not able to downgrade the firmware after a certain point.
You may find some threads lingering around about old updates and OTAs. Here is a bit of info about them, in chronological order (or at least to the best of my knowledge).

GB
Blur_Version.5.9.902.XT875.Verizon.en.US FXZ
Blur_Version.5.9.905.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip OTA

ICS leaks

ICS
Blur_Version.6.7.246.XT875.Verizon.en.US FXZ

JB
Blur_Version.98.72.22.XT875.Verizon.en.US FXZ

twinkyz1979 outlines which versions can downgrade back to 905 and below here.
Basically, there was a change in some security code between the leaked firmwares .232 and .235. Before this change, the Bionic was able to jump back and forth from 902 to 232 and between. Once the Bionic is updated to 235, it is not able to go back down any more, and can only go up on each firmware.

Root
As of this post, there is only one root method for Bionics on the official JB firmware. The method requires a Linux installation, and uses a samba share exploit. There is NO way to get around this requirement, though it is possible to run a Virtual Machine on top of Windows to achieve this.
An alternative way to root may be to use "safe root". I am unfamiliar to this method and haven't tried it myself. A youtube video shows the process. I haven't come across any threads detailing any further (feel free to tip me if you find any).

Recovery / Safestrap
You can get it from Hashcode's website.
We used to have a tool around called Bootstrap, but it does not work with the current JB update so please do not try it on JB. It will cause a (soft) brick and other messes.
Safestrap is a work around for our locked bootloaders. Once you install it, you have the option to make up to 4 "safe" slots to flash ROMs to. It's comparable to dual-booting. Although it is possible to flash ROMs over your stock/"unsafe" slot, it's unnecessary and dangerous (in my opinion, of course).
The slots reside on your internal-SD, and can each have your choice of 2/3/4 GB in size of a Data partition (for app installs).

ROMs
This section can sort of be divided into 2 subsections; Blur/stock based ROMs and Kexec/AOSP ROMs
  • Kexec ROMs do not (yet)can now support HDMI (not docks?) with the help from a kernel. Webtop is not found on these ROMs.
  • Kexec ROMs can be more or less stable than Stock ROMs, but usually contain more experimental and reversed code.
  • As far as loading pre JB Kexec ROMs onto a JB Bionic, I've never wondered about that until this moment. If anyone knows, please let me know.
-----
  • Stock ROMs cannot be updated/based on a version of android that Moto has not updated us to (nothing greater than 4.1.2 JB as of this post).
  • Stock ROMs are pretty likely to be your stable ROMs, being mostly based on moto's code and not so much including experimental code.
  • There are still some GB/ICS stock ROMs that are floating around, and these cannot be loaded onto a Bionic that is updated to JB.
  • Stock ROMs can use the HDMI port and docks.

Kernels
A third-party kernel can be loaded with some AOSP ROMs to add/change features. A project called JBX-kernel is being developed by dtrail1 for 4.4 ROMs and is aimed primarily at low power consumption, while having options for performance as well.

House of Moto
A guide written by bigv5150 (Windows/Linux/Mac)
It is posted in the droid ultra forums, but can apply to the Bionic. The root method (if still included) will not work on JB Bionic.
A very handy tool, put together by SamuriHL. If you find yourself stuck with a non-booting Bionic, this is your next step. It is also handy for completely wiping your Bionic (think FDR but for all partitions in the phone) (this wipe will erase root).
If you need to use this tool, you're expected to read all the instruction before downloading, reading the instruction again before launching it, and reading the instruction while using it just in case. You can mess some things up using this tool, and you can clean some big messes with it as well. Pretty much every question about using it has been asked and answered already. Tread carefully my friend :p

Verizon alternatives
I haven't played in this area yet, but I may be soon.
So far I've seen people use their Bionics on pageplus, cricket, T-mobile, and I've seen efforts for getting on Boost mobile and at&t. But I don't know much about this.
Some helpful links :

Thanks to bedwa for the tip

If any thread or download links become dead, let me know. I have found many alternates, made copies, and have backed up and stored most Bionic related material I've come across, except for most ROMs.

Last edited:

chrisp6825

Mar 13, 2009
I thought I'd list some ROMs here, divided by their status (Stock vs Kexec). These are (semi) current, and you should be able to find these and load them up on any Bionic updated to stock JB :

Stock based
  • RAGING BIONIC
  • Blurry
  • Call of Droid
  • FlyingJelly
  • Gameblur
  • Revolution-Unleashed

Kexec
  • Cyanogenmod
  • Cool Blu
  • Eclipse v5
  • LiquidSmooth
  • CyanFox
  • PACman
  • CarbonRom
  • Mokee OpenSource
  • Gummy
  • AOKP

Thanks to KenanAlcorn for the tips

Basically, if you see "Stock / moto / no gapps needed" then its a Stock based ROM. (webtop, docks, hdmi)
If you see "Gapps / CM / AOSP / AOKP / Kexec " or an android version number > 4.1.2 then it's a Kexec ROM. (no webtop, docks, hdmi).

I'd be happy to add links, if they would be helpful to any one. Though I don't want to upset anybody. Some ROMs are released exclusively on some forums, in order to keep a hold on issue tracking and other such things. If you see this, I'd be glad to link to any ROMs with permissions.

Last edited:
Reactions: dnjpowell

bedwa

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 5, 2008
Springfield IL
Verizon alternatives
So far I've seen people use their Bionics on pageplus, cricket, T-mobile, and I've seen efforts for getting on Boost mobile and at&t. But I don't know much about this.

As long as things are done right, running it on AT&T is no issues whatsoever.

You follow the instructions in the Q&A section (Root, NV edit and Prop Edits) I have been using CM 11 with no issues, tethering the whole 9 yards.

I Flash this zip Here. This Zip is GOLD.

Reactions: chrisp6825

zebinadams

Jul 3, 2011
Chambersubrg, PA
Thanks! I recently reset my computer and lost all of the settings I had when I first rooted my Bionic. This is a great thread to help if that were to happen again!

kschang

Dec 11, 2010
San Francisco, CA
This will sound weird, but I'm one of the guys that NEVER got the official JB firmware from Verizon. And I'm running SlimKat just fine through Safestrap ROM slots, and my last official firmware is the official ICS release.

Right now I have 3 slots

Stock = Technically Icarus HD, but it's still based on stock
Slot 1 = My "daily driver" Cyanogen MOD 10, NOT the latest (I think I'm still on 10.1.2 when they're up to 10.2.1 already)
Slot 2 = SlimKat, not the latest either, I think it's a beta from February 2014.

I switch among them "at will" via Safestrap, and I got SlimKat pretty dialed in now.

So if people are having problems upgrading to JB... Or problems with firmware after JB OTA, perhaps they shouldn't do it, and just live with the previous firmware? What are the potential problems?

chrisp6825

Mar 13, 2009
So if people are having problems upgrading to JB... Or problems with firmware after JB OTA, perhaps they shouldn't do it, and just live with the previous firmware? What are the potential problems?

As far as I can tell, there are no true benefits to upgrading to JB, as opposed to staying on ICS. Any benefits can easily be found in a CM based ROM (now are fairly stable, even on 11/Kk).

But just to clarify, once you begin the JB upgrade process, you most likely cannot abort or undo it. You risk a great chance of messing the flashing process up and potentially bricking.
If the upgrade completes, you most certainly cannot go back to ICS (as of yet).
(All in regards to the official moto upgrades, JB, ICS, etc)

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

kschang

Dec 11, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Yeah, that's what I figured. Since I'm KEXEC'ing SlimKat I see no reason to do the official JB upgrade at all. My ROM at the time was to customized to run the FXZ upgrade.

There are a few things to note:

1) Only stock based ROMs have dock support... ANY dock support. That includes HD dock, Nav Dock, clock/desk dock, etc.

HashCode said NavDock was on the todo list for CM10 for MONTHS... until Bionic fell off the scope. So I guess that's our "last best hope". :D

You can work around the Nav Dock by having in-car bluetooth autorun the car mode app. Not as convenient, but tolerable.

2) Only stock based ROMs have WebTop support... if any one still use that.

Shakkuras

Apr 12, 2014
CM11 NavDock DOES work

1) Only stock based ROMs have dock support... ANY dock support. That includes HD dock, Nav Dock, clock/desk dock, etc.

HashCode said NavDock was on the todo list for CM10 for MONTHS... until Bionic fell off the scope. So I guess that's our "last best hope". :D

You can work around the Nav Dock by having in-car bluetooth autorun the car mode app. Not as convenient, but tolerable.

There was a commit back around 04/08/2014 that enabled USB analog dock audio for OMAP4; there was another dock-related OMAP4 commit on 04/06/2014 as well. Since the 04/09/2014 nightly build on CM11, my Moto NavDock works - the phone automatically recognizes NavDock insertion and opens my chosen car mode app (I use IBolt as my dock screen software), and closes out from it upon removal. Audio via the dock's split USB cable functions as well. The phone successfully recognizes and sets car mode (seen in notifications), but you need a program installed to handle car mode, as otherwise it does nothing.

kschang

Dec 11, 2010
San Francisco, CA
There was a commit back around 04/08/2014 that enabled USB analog dock audio for OMAP4; there was another dock-related OMAP4 commit on 04/06/2014 as well. Since the 04/09/2014 nightly build on CM11, my Moto NavDock works - the phone automatically recognizes NavDock insertion and opens my chosen car mode app (I use IBolt as my dock screen software), and closes out from it upon removal. Audio via the dock's split USB cable functions as well. The phone successfully recognizes and sets car mode (seen in notifications), but you need a program installed to handle car mode, as otherwise it does nothing.

I noticed that the 4/15 nightly of SlimKat does this too. May have to revise my statement. :)

kschang

Dec 11, 2010
San Francisco, CA
A couple notes on hardware...

1) It is possible to replace the trim piece (that metalic looking cover on top that goes around the screen and buttons, has the Verizon logo), you can often find it on Amazon or eBay, but it's a pretty involved process as it uses a trimmed sheet adhesive. Probably not worth the effort, just put a case on it.

2) I got the Diztronic case that fits the extended battery. Fits like a glove, cheap (about $10) feels grippy and pliant, doesn't add too much bulk (still fits into docks).

3) You can get super-extended battery that's even bigger than the BX8 extended battery, but those often requires its own battery back, and thus no longer fit into docks. If you have no docks this doesn't affect you much, except those super-sized setup are too big to fit into belt cases and such, so you'll have to carry the phone naked, and the battery backs often comes with bad tolerance problems. I bought one and I had to sand down a lot of areas to get it to fit properly.

4) If you have the extended battery, your best option for belt case is... wait for it... a Mophie Juicepack Belt Case for iPhone 5, available at most Best Buys for $29.95. It's designed for iPhone 5 with the extended battery case by Mophie, but it fits the Bionic quite well. Your other option is order one of those (p)leather cases off Amazon. There's one that has the clip AND two belt loops for under $10, and it fits surprisingly well.

5) The best car dock is still the Moto NavDock.

chrisp6825

Mar 13, 2009
Just wanted to note, I've moved much of my focus to a new device (moto x), and won't be paying full attention to the Bionic development anymore.

I do still have the device and am planning to use for a project in the future, although it's battery is seriously shot (wont hold a charge for more than 7 hours, even with screen off the whole time).
I still checkout the various forums I used to frequent over the years, but I know that will become less and less over time.

If anyone spots any out-dated info in this thread, please feel free to post here or PM me to let me know, and I'll update the original posts. I'm glad this thread was able to help a few people, and I hope it continues to help long after activity dies and info is buried.

Live long Bionic scene, the most helpful/entertaining/surprising phone group I've been a part of. lol

Reactions: m33rkat

m33rkat

Jan 20, 2012
Harrisburg
Just wanted to note, I've moved much of my focus to a new device (moto x), and won't be paying full attention to the Bionic development anymore.

I do still have the device and am planning to use for a project in the future, although it's battery is seriously shot (wont hold a charge for more than 7 hours, even with screen off the whole time).
I still checkout the various forums I used to frequent over the years, but I know that will become less and less over time.

If anyone spots any out-dated info in this thread, please feel free to post here or PM me to let me know, and I'll update the original posts. I'm glad this thread was able to help a few people, and I hope it continues to help long after activity dies and info is buried.

Live long Bionic scene, the most helpful/entertaining/surprising phone group I've been a part of. lol

Thanks again for doing this, you may be moving to greater things but your legacy lives in the Bionic forums :good:

mhrussell1

Oct 28, 2011
Anaheim
LG Nexus 5X
Google Pixel 3
Confirm Alt Root Method

Root
As of this post, there is only one root method for Bionics on the official JB firmware. The method requires a Linux installation, and uses a samba share exploit. There is NO way to get around this requirement, though it is possible to run a Virtual Machine on top of Windows to achieve this.
An alternative way to root may be to use "safe root". I am unfamiliar to this method and haven't tried it myself. A youtube video shows the process. I haven't come across any threads detailing any further (feel free to tip me if you find any).

I just wanted to confirm that the second method in the Rootjunky YouTube video above does work as advertised. Much simpler than setting up a Linux VM. Thanks for all of the info.

ShadyDreamer

Mar 5, 2014
I think towelroot was also reported to work. IIRC, it is for Android 4.4.2 and lower.

edit: ok, maybe not - I just tried it on one. (unless there is a modstring you can enter in the app in the place you enter those to get it working on this phone)

Last edited:

kitcostantino

Mar 21, 2011
Mayberry
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 8
there was a time when I felt like I knew all there was to know about the Bionic...3 phones later, i don't remember so much about the early days. I have a bionic on .905 (as to preserve the original web top). I probably have to keep it on crap software, which is ok. I want the appropriate version of Eclipse (for that many moons ago, i think 6/2012) os I can at least have a custom rom that supports web top/hdmi dock/car dock/wireless charging. i honestly just found out today that the bionic works with it...and picked up the back for $5 on ebay. :0 anyway, My question that i do not remember the answer to is what versions of safestrap can i use and stay on .905 . the newest one (1/2015) would be awesome, but somehow, i doubt that works. I don't want to make the only Bionic i still have on GB a sacrificial experiment, but at the time i left it on .905, i had 3 bionics and there was a reason i didn't upgrade safestrap. i just can't find and don't remember why. anyone have a copy of Eclipse? thank you!!

DroidisLINUX

May 28, 2013
there was a time when I felt like I knew all there was to know about the Bionic...3 phones later, i don't remember so much about the early days. I have a bionic on .905 (as to preserve the original web top). I probably have to keep it on crap software, which is ok. I want the appropriate version of Eclipse (for that many moons ago, i think 6/2012) os I can at least have a custom rom that supports web top/hdmi dock/car dock/wireless charging. i honestly just found out today that the bionic works with it...and picked up the back for $5 on ebay. :0 anyway, My question that i do not remember the answer to is what versions of safestrap can i use and stay on .905 . the newest one (1/2015) would be awesome, but somehow, i doubt that works. I don't want to make the only Bionic i still have on GB a sacrificial experiment, but at the time i left it on .905, i had 3 bionics and there was a reason i didn't upgrade safestrap. i just can't find and don't remember why. anyone have a copy of Eclipse? thank you!!

Newest safestrap has to have jellybean kernel don't flash it, stay on the 3. X that your on, no need to update I miss webtop2 so bad

Sent from my Z970 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: kitcostantino

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've noticed that some new people are still trickling in to the Bionic scene, and stumble over old/outdated guides, ROMs, root methods, etc. So I figured I'd post up a refresher on the current state of things. Hopefully this is more helpful than spamful.
    (this is the first time I'm writing one of these posts, so please judge hard ;)

TLDR tips:
    • HDMI can only be used on Stock based ROMs, or alternatively in AOSP ROMs by installing the JBX-kernel.
    • You must use Linux, or a Virtual Machine running Linux (easy method) to root JB (though there is apparently one other way using safe root).
    • ROMs that predate the JB update won't boot on JB firmware.
    • Bootstrap will (soft) brick a Bionic on JB firmware.
    • The Bionic is locked, we use "SafeStrap" as our recovery to install ROMs, flash zips, etc.
    • Downgrading below JB is not (yet) possible. Maybe one day, but I don't cross fingers.
    • House of Moto is your (soft) brick buster, RSD alternative for clean wipes, upgrade tool to JB from ICS/GB.

Firmwares / Moto updates / Android Versions
    There have been just a few official updates from Moto for the Bionic, and none have been reversible (excluding some ICS leaks). The current most updated official version is moto-98.72.22 on android-4.1.2 or Jelly Bean. Updating to JB will cause removal of any previous root access.
    A much easier way to update is to use the House of Moto; it'll perform a FDR and optionally wipe your SD card, but it is the easier/more thorough/recommended update path.
    Current official update : cdma_targa_9.8.2O-72_VZW-22_cfc.xml.zip
    md5sum : 1481ac6035682b732f76a621a36a9153

Info about other firmwares/updates/OTAs (.905, .2233, .232, .246 FXZs)

The Bionic has had a number of updates, some official and some leaked. There was a security change during its course of history, and because of it we are not able to downgrade the firmware after a certain point.
    You may find some threads lingering around about old updates and OTAs. Here is a bit of info about them, in chronological order (or at least to the best of my knowledge).

GB
    Blur_Version.5.9.902.XT875.Verizon.en.US FXZ
    Blur_Version.5.9.905.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip OTA

ICS leaks

ICS
    Blur_Version.6.7.246.XT875.Verizon.en.US FXZ

JB
    Blur_Version.98.72.22.XT875.Verizon.en.US FXZ

twinkyz1979 outlines which versions can downgrade back to 905 and below here.
    Basically, there was a change in some security code between the leaked firmwares .232 and .235. Before this change, the Bionic was able to jump back and forth from 902 to 232 and between. Once the Bionic is updated to 235, it is not able to go back down any more, and can only go up on each firmware.

Root

Recovery / Safestrap
    You can get it from Hashcode's website.
    We used to have a tool around called Bootstrap, but it does not work with the current JB update so please do not try it on JB. It will cause a (soft) brick and other messes.
    Safestrap is a work around for our locked bootloaders. Once you install it, you have the option to make up to 4 "safe" slots to flash ROMs to. It's comparable to dual-booting. Although it is possible to flash ROMs over your stock/"unsafe" slot, it's unnecessary and dangerous (in my opinion, of course).
    The slots reside on your internal-SD, and can each have your choice of 2/3/4 GB in size of a Data partition (for app installs).

ROMs
    This section can sort of be divided into 2 subsections; Blur/stock based ROMs and Kexec/AOSP ROMs
    • Kexec ROMs do not (yet)can now support HDMI (not docks?) with the help from a kernel. Webtop is not found on these ROMs.
    • Kexec ROMs can be more or less stable than Stock ROMs, but usually contain more experimental and reversed code.
    • As far as loading pre JB Kexec ROMs onto a JB Bionic, I've never wondered about that until this moment. If anyone knows, please let me know.
    -----
    • Stock ROMs cannot be updated/based on a version of android that Moto has not updated us to (nothing greater than 4.1.2 JB as of this post).
    • Stock ROMs are pretty likely to be your stable ROMs, being mostly based on moto's code and not so much including experimental code.
    • There are still some GB/ICS stock ROMs that are floating around, and these cannot be loaded onto a Bionic that is updated to JB.
    • Stock ROMs can use the HDMI port and docks.

Kernels
    A third-party kernel can be loaded with some AOSP ROMs to add/change features. A project called JBX-kernel is being developed by dtrail1 for 4.4 ROMs and is aimed primarily at low power consumption, while having options for performance as well.

House of Moto
    A guide written by bigv5150 (Windows/Linux/Mac)
    It is posted in the droid ultra forums, but can apply to the Bionic. The root method (if still included) will not work on JB Bionic.
    A very handy tool, put together by SamuriHL. If you find yourself stuck with a non-booting Bionic, this is your next step. It is also handy for completely wiping your Bionic (think FDR but for all partitions in the phone) (this wipe will erase root).
    If you need to use this tool, you're expected to read all the instruction before downloading, reading the instruction again before launching it, and reading the instruction while using it just in case. You can mess some things up using this tool, and you can clean some big messes with it as well. Pretty much every question about using it has been asked and answered already. Tread carefully my friend :p

Verizon alternatives
    Some helpful links :

Thanks to bedwa for the tip

If any thread or download links become dead, let me know. I have found many alternates, made copies, and have backed up and stored most Bionic related material I've come across, except for most ROMs.
    CM11 NavDock DOES work

I thought I'd list some ROMs here, divided by their status (Stock vs Kexec). These are (semi) current, and you should be able to find these and load them up on any Bionic updated to stock JB :

Stock based
    • RAGING BIONIC
    • Blurry
    • Call of Droid
    • FlyingJelly
    • Gameblur
    • Revolution-Unleashed

Kexec
    • Cyanogenmod
    • Cool Blu
    • Eclipse v5
    • LiquidSmooth
    • CyanFox
    • PACman
    • CarbonRom
    • Mokee OpenSource
    • Gummy
    • AOKP

Thanks to KenanAlcorn for the tips

Basically, if you see "Stock / moto / no gapps needed" then its a Stock based ROM. (webtop, docks, hdmi)
    If you see "Gapps / CM / AOSP / AOKP / Kexec " or an android version number > 4.1.2 then it's a Kexec ROM. (no webtop, docks, hdmi).

I'd be happy to add links, if they would be helpful to any one. Though I don't want to upset anybody. Some ROMs are released exclusively on some forums, in order to keep a hold on issue tracking and other such things. If you see this, I'd be glad to link to any ROMs with permissions.
    Thanks for this, I'm sure it will help out a lot of bionic beginners. A few KEXEC ROMs you could add to that list are Mokee OpenSource, Gummy, and AOKP.
    Verizon alternatives

As long as things are done right, running it on AT&T is no issues whatsoever.

You follow the instructions in the Q&A section (Root, NV edit and Prop Edits) I have been using CM 11 with no issues, tethering the whole 9 yards.

I Flash this zip Here. This Zip is GOLD.