Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,958 Members 52,309 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][2.2+] Telegram, the secure chat client.

Tip us?

Zenety
Old
(Last edited by Zenety; 25th February 2014 at 09:19 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 242
Default [APP][2.2+] Telegram, the secure chat client.

Taking back our right to privacy

https://telegram.org/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gram.messenger

Updates:
    Bug fixes
    Ability to send documents and mutiple photos from external apps.
    Fixed some issues with contacts.
    Fixed contact duplication in phone book after contact rename
    Delete, add, rename contacts, proper handling of new contacts in phone book
    New photo crop
    Toggle automatic photo download
    Toggle 'contact joined' notifications
    Updated Spanish localization
    Bug fixes
    Spanish localization
    Bug fixes
    Fixed video recording on some samsung tablets

Quote:
Telegram is a messaging app with a focus on speed and security. It’s superfast, simple and free.
With Telegram, you can create group chats with up to 200 people so you can stay connected with everyone at once. Plus, you can share videos up to 1GB, send multiple photos from the web, and forward any media you receive in an instant. All your messages are in the cloud, so you can easily access them from any of your devices.
For those interested in maximum privacy, we've added Secret Chats, featuring end-to-end encryption to ensure that a message can only be read by its intended recipient. When it comes to Secret Chats, nothing is logged on our servers and you can automatically program the messages to self-destruct from both devices so there is never any record of it.
We built Telegram to make messaging safe again so you can take back your right to privacy.
Why Switch to Telegram?
FAST: Telegram is the fastest messaging app on the market because it uses a decentralized infrastructure with data centers positioned around the globe to connect people to the closest possible server.
SECURE: Security flaws in popular apps like WhatsApp have gotten a lot of bad press recently, so we made it our mission to provide the best security on the market.
CLOUD STORAGE: Never lose your data again! Telegram offers free unlimited cloud storage for all your Telegram messages and media that you can securely access from multiple devices.
GROUP CHAT & SHARING: With Telegram, you can form large group chats (up to 100 members), quickly share gigabyte size videos, and send all the photos you want to friends.
RELIABLE: Built to deliver your messages in the minimum bytes possible, Telegram is the most reliable messaging system ever made. It even works on the weakest mobile connections!
100% FREE & NO ADS: Telegram is free and will always be free. We do not plan to sell ads or introduce subscription fees.
PRIVACY: We take your privacy very seriously and will never give third parties access to your data!
SUPPORT:
For real-time support, please go to settings in Telegram and select “Ask a Question” to send a message directly to our support staff (phone number 333). You can also email us at support@telegram.org.
This application is one of the best encrypted chat applications out right now. Secret messaging and auto self destruct are amazing features.
If you don't like Facebook knowing everything about you through Whatsapp this is the thing to switch to. It feels super slick and fast. It has better options then any other messaging app has at the moment and it's growing bigger and bigger. Hope the community can give the attention this app deserves and makes it the new messaging app on Android/iOS/WP and PC.

THIS APP IS NOT MINE. I just want to give it attention since more people should use this amazing application.

Really good explanation from: Ba7rani123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba7rani123 View Post
Many people are ranting that its the same as whatsapp so whats the use ? or Its not really secure because it uses your phone number

To know if an app is secure or not we have to look at 4 things:
  1. Where is the company based ?
  2. Who made it ?
  3. Are the protocols secure ?
  4. Privacy Policy
  1. It is as Russian company with servers in British Ivory Islands(which keeps it away from the russian gov and the NSA)
  2. It was founded by the brothers Nikolai and Pavel Durov who are the founders of VK and are known to support wikileaks and other "pro-privacy" organisations
  3. It uses their own protocol "MTProto". The company said it would give 200,000 bitcoins to anyone who can find a bug in their protocol. 3 Russion analysts found a few issues and they were given 100,000 and the issues were fixed as soon as possible. Other companies like whatsapp dont care because for many years it has been sending our texts without any encryption and now it uses a very weak type of encryption which can be easily broken by the NSA.
  4. In their Privacy Policy they strictly show that they will NOT share any data with third parties.

But... Why is it better than Whats app ?
  • All Chats are encrypted. It uses its own encryption(MTProto) which was made to have a balance between speed and security.
- In normal chats it uses Client/Server and Server/Client encryption(which is considered secure based on many security experts who have analyzed the app), here your chats can be accessed on other devices(by signing in ofcourse) through the cloud

- In "Secret Chats" the encryption is Client/Client meaning even the builders of this app cannot see your conversations. Here you cannot access them using the could. That's why secret chat isn't used as default
  • It is Open-source
  • It allows you to send files up to 1GB in size
  • Allows you to send documents, zip or rar files
  • It has a cloud feature meaning I can access my chats from my computer and other devices, some may see this as insecure.

Cons :
  • It uses phone numbers(actually its not a big issue since your phone number is already all over the net !!)
  • Its exactly like whats app ? well its more of a Pro than a con because anyone can easily change to this with the above advantages

Conclusion :

Nothing is 100% secure but it is definitely more secure than any other app here. Also, it will remain free according to their FAQ because their goal is PRIVACY. Also, their may be an option to remove the "Last seen" in the future. Their FAQ answers many questions if you have any head over their.

FAQ:
https://telegram.org/faq

Source:
Arabic: https://cyberkov.com/?p=1354

you can use Google translate to read it
My Devices:

Nokia N900 - 900 MHZ - Triple Boot: Meego,Meamo and Android
Nexus 4 - 1512 MHZ - Latest PSX - Latest Neo Latest Franco kernel for testing with MultiRom.
Nexus 7 - 1200 MHZ - Stock
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to Zenety For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ed10vi
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I love it, I wish it becomes the new standard, but I see a big problem:
I'm from Spain, and now there is a huge hype with this app, but I think this hype will finish before the appearance of apps for Symbian, S40, BlackBerry and all those legacy OS, and people will leave it, because whatsapp is in more devices.

Does someone knows about any app in development for Symbian or S40?

lozohcum
Old
Thanks Meter 1219
Why do I have to give them my telephone number? :/
I don't reply PM if the answer is on the forum.

kical
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default .

Ey I start using it a week ago and its insanely awesome!!! Same UI as whatsapp but a big problem is the day to day use of the app for example right now theres not much community I have got like 10 telegram friends out of 100~ that uses whats app.
Another thing they dont got is the verb conjugation we use for example

" I'll send you a whatsapp " > that stands for Ill send a text message by whatsapp. It became as a native verb.
" Ill send you a telegram " > Right now it doesnt make to my mind what do that means.

In Spanish we like to use a lot
" Te mando un whatsapp " " Hablame por Whatsapp " " Tienes Whatsapp " and the word Telegram doesnt is very friendly as the word "whatsapp"
" Te mando un telegram " "Hablemos por Telegram ".

So I really like the app and the Windows Client is just very nice and good to have

Let's wait and hope people like it.

domenukk
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Is it end to end encrypted? Then it would be a great alternative.
What's their business-model, though? Free and no Ads seems like it won't be around for long...

merlin699
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lozohcum View Post
to identify you. same as in whatsapp.
Xiaomi Mi2
MIUI 4.1.1

ovyxy
Old
(Last edited by ovyxy; 17th February 2014 at 08:56 AM.)
Thanks Meter 39
I like ...
Telegram is new, I hope not to be forgotten

Axaion
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
To make sure they know who you are, same reason its only on -google- play

Nope, waiting for Tox.

lozohcum
Old
Thanks Meter 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin699 View Post
to identify you. same as in whatsapp.
ah ok. so I'm not gonna use it. My telephone number is privacy thing
I don't reply PM if the answer is on the forum.

James Randi
Old
(Last edited by James Randi; 16th February 2014 at 06:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
ah ok. so I'm not gonna use it. My telephone number is privacy thing
I care a big deal about privacy and don't even use a Google Account. But I think there are a lot of other things to worry about first before worrying about your telephone number. If you give your number to anyone who is using a phone or an app that reads his/her contact list and does whatever with it, your phone number is not a privacy thing anymore.

(Correct me if I'm wrong)
moto g
16GB - now rooted 4.3 - still flight mode only without sim card

The Following User Says Thank You to James Randi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]