VPN and Tethering not working on rooted device, will custom ROM fix that?

24th January 2014, 12:31 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 65

718 posts
I came from a GS4 where I used Private Internet Access VPN and WiFi Tether Router. On the Note both services connect but do not route any traffic, my thinking its related to knox. Would a custom ROM fix that? At this point I have to either trip the counter or take this thing back for an iPhone 5S before the jailbreak is patched.

***FIXED
All that needed to be done is to have this setting changed, I can use WiFi tether along with VPN running at the same time so I never hit my hotspot limit because Tmo cant tell if the traffic is from a phone or other device.

To change your APN, simply navigate to Settings > More > Mobile networks > Access Point Names. Select your T-Mobile APN, and scroll to APN protocol. Change this to IPv4, and then save your APN.
Last edited by ilogik; 24th January 2014 at 03:08 PM. Reason: fixed
24th January 2014, 02:42 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 52

350 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilogik

I came from a GS4 where I used Private Internet Access VPN and WiFi Tether Router. On the Note both services connect but do not route any traffic, my thinking its related to knox. Would a custom ROM fix that? At this point I have to either trip the counter or take this thing back for an iPhone 5S before the jailbreak is patched.

I have been having issues with the same vpn too. How are you getting yours to connect? I am running Jedi and I can't even get it to connect to the vpn. I tried cm11 too and same thing. I have changed my apn from ipv6 to ipv4 but everything else is whatever came with jedi and cm and stock. On my Nexus 5 I can use it just fine with tmo... so unsure what the issue is.
24th January 2014, 01:50 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

718 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rans0m00

I have been having issues with the same vpn too. How are you getting yours to connect? I am running Jedi and I can't even get it to connect to the vpn. I tried cm11 too and same thing. I have changed my apn from ipv6 to ipv4 but everything else is whatever came with jedi and cm and stock. On my Nexus 5 I can use it just fine with tmo... so unsure what the issue is.

I'm just using the app from the playstore with the default settings. But I did install a custom ROM, Darthstalker version 6 and it still does not work.

Now the counter shows as tripped whenever the phone is restarted, I hope tmo will take it back because I'm just going to try to trade this for a 5S.
24th January 2014, 03:08 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

718 posts
Quote:

I'm just using the app from the playstore with the default settings. But I did install a custom ROM, Darthstalker version 6 and it still does not work.

Now the counter shows as tripped whenever the phone is restarted, I hope tmo will take it back because I'm just going to try to trade this for a 5S.

Please see my original post for the resolution.
24th January 2014, 03:25 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 52

350 posts
Quote:

Please see my original post for the resolution.

Weird... I have tried this with no luck. I'll try again. Did you make sure you were not connected to a wifi network? Mine works when connected to wifi but from the cell connection it doesn't.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
24th January 2014, 09:41 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

718 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rans0m00

Weird... I have tried this with no luck. I'll try again. Did you make sure you were not connected to a wifi network? Mine works when connected to wifi but from the cell connection it doesn't.

Are you using Fabios WiFi router? If so make sure to check his configuration page for the device. Yes I am not on WiFi, just came back from a 2 hour drive while my friend was tethered to my phone on his iPad.

https://sites.google.com/site/wifite...-configuration
25th January 2014, 12:28 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 15

125 posts
How did you edit your apn settings. I'm on tmobile galaxy note 3, stock and rooted. My apn settings are all greyed out and I can't edit anything?

25th January 2014, 12:45 AM   |  #8  
Flag Nashville
Thanks Meter: 58

610 posts
More
Tethering
I provided 2 methods I use for Tethering at the other thread if its useful or not.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2620170

Im currently at 106GB for the month. With LTE.
25th January 2014, 02:52 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

718 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy1

How did you edit your apn settings. I'm on tmobile galaxy note 3, stock and rooted. My apn settings are all greyed out and I can't edit anything?

I'm on custom rom, thats probably why.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
pia, wifi router
Previous Thread Next Thread