Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,036 Members 51,997 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] C6906 - Flashing .290 branded to .290 generic

Tip us?

magwart
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation [Q] C6906 - Flashing .290 branded to .290 generic

Hello,

I recently bricked my Z1 and just got it back from warranty repaired. It is a C6906 that they upgraded to 4.3 (.290) however it is branded to BELL and I wish to flash the unbranded generic so I don't have as much bloatware/fast updates.

Since I do not wish to brick the device again and go through this again and so I am looking for advice to do this in a way that is guaranteed. With flashtool if I flash "C6906 14.2.A.0.290 Generic CA 1276-7484_R2B" would I have any issues at all? Just load up Flashtool - select the ftf and just use the default settings and plug in the Z1 while holding down the volume button.

eclyptos
Old
Thanks Meter 612
I used the latest Flashtool v0.9.13, connected to PC, let install windows the drivers, selected the Unbranded Stock ftf, wiped all data, appslog, cache, all the rest unchecked and I performed the flash. All fine and the phone working well. I don't know why you had problems or why you bricked the phone but there is no advice to give you because it's simply. So even if all it's clear no guarantee and it's up to you. I don't think is the FTF faulty.
IF I HELPED DO NOT SAY THANKS, CLICK IT.
My Evolution: Sony Xperia Z1 - UB + 4.3 Rooted + Deodexed, HTC HD2, HTC Diamond 2, HTC HD Blackstone, Nokia 7070 Prism, Qtek 9100, Nokia 3100, Motorola T720i, Nokia 3310, Sony Ericson PF 768 (Blue)

How Get Root on Sony Xperia Z1 with Locked Bootloader and the Latest Android 4.4

magwart
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclyptos View Post
I used the latest Flashtool v0.9.13, connected to PC, let install windows the drivers, selected the Unbranded Stock ftf, wiped all data, appslog, cache, all the rest unchecked and I performed the flash. All fine and the phone working well. I don't know why you had problems or why you bricked the phone but there is no advice to give you because it's simply. So even if all it's clear no guarantee and it's up to you. I don't think is the FTF faulty.
This is separate from how I bricked it (using custom rom), I did this previously with a older version and just not on .290 and I am wondering if there is any issues (IMEI etc) doing it .290 to .290, thats all. I just don't want to make a mistake.

eclyptos
Old
Thanks Meter 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by magwart View Post
This is separate from how I bricked it (using custom rom), I did this previously with a older version and just not on .290 and I am wondering if there is any issues (IMEI etc) doing it .290 to .290, thats all. I just don't want to make a mistake.
Ok, so you bricked the phone with custon rom, now I understand. In this case there is no any issues flashing .290 unbranded on .290 branded. IMEI is lost only when jumping .257 and downgrade directly to .534. It's more "safe" flash .290 on .290. Go flash now.
My Evolution: Sony Xperia Z1 - UB + 4.3 Rooted + Deodexed, HTC HD2, HTC Diamond 2, HTC HD Blackstone, Nokia 7070 Prism, Qtek 9100, Nokia 3100, Motorola T720i, Nokia 3310, Sony Ericson PF 768 (Blue)

How Get Root on Sony Xperia Z1 with Locked Bootloader and the Latest Android 4.4
The Following User Says Thank You to eclyptos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

magwart
Old
(Last edited by magwart; 25th January 2014 at 12:08 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Ok, so you bricked the phone with custon rom, now I understand. In this case there is no any issues flashing .290 unbranded on .290 branded. IMEI is lost only when jumping .257 and downgrade directly to .534. It's more "safe" flash .290 on .290. Go flash now.
Thanks. I don't suppose there is any working root for 4.3 yet, is there for the C9606?

Edit: Successfully flashed. Thanks again.

eclyptos
Old
(Last edited by eclyptos; 25th January 2014 at 12:11 AM.)
Thanks Meter 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by magwart View Post
Thanks. I don't suppose there is any working root for 4.3 yet, is there for the C9606?
No direct root, like Vroot or 360, for .290 at the moment, just a method to get full root for Locked Bootladers. To do that you have to downgrade, root, install recovery then update to .290 again, a bit longer to get root on your phone, sure this method working for C6902/3 but should work for C6906 too, just check.

akusokuzan
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Would I be able to go from 290 branded to the new 136 intended without issue? I already bricked one device trying to root and I'm just trying to make sure lol

eclyptos
Old
Thanks Meter 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by akusokuzan View Post
Would I be able to go from 290 branded to the new 136 intended without issue? I already bricked one device trying to root and I'm just trying to make sure lol
Probably because when you bricked your phone was the time when some issues was not discovered yet in do that, and this confirm the fact on the thread now is wrote "How not brick your phone" . BTW, the risk to brick the phone is in downgrading so if you want just to upgrade without Root this way should be more "safe" and you will be able to do it without any issue.

akusokuzan
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Probably because when you bricked your phone was the time when some issues was not discovered yet in do that, and this confirm the fact on the thread now is wrote "How not brick your phone" . BTW, the risk to brick the phone is in downgrading so if you want just to upgrade without Root this way should be more "safe" and you will be able to do it without any issue.
Lol yeah, when I was trying to update with root, it didn't go so hot. That thread wasn't stickied until after the debacle. Sounds good though, thanks!

XDA PORTAL POSTS

TWRP Now Available for the LG G Watch and Samsung Gear Live

Over the past week or so, we’ve talkedquite a bit about the first … more

Slate Calendar Helps You Organize Your Life

Without calendars in some form or another, most of our lives would be utter chaos. Unless you are … more

Shane Francis to Talk Android, Robotics, and Vision at XDA:DevCon 2014

Our international xda:devcon 14in Manchester, UK on the weekend of … more

LG G Watch Tool is a Toolkit all Owners Need

The LG G Watch is one of the first two devices hitting the market rocking the highly anticipated … more