Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Question [Q] MAC address collusions on clones

OP Brachism

24th January 2014, 10:57 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Disclaimer: I just started ‘playing’ a few weeks ago in the realm of tablets and rooting.

I have 6 Kindle Fires cloned from a master running Jelly Bean cm-10.1.3-20130923-otter. The method I used apparently has resulted in all of them presenting the same MAC address to the router. The result is only the latest one to establish a connection can communicate on the network. Although the ‘idme’ command display unique MAC addresses for each it seems the OS isn’t passing those unique MAC’s along. App solutions like ‘MacMan’ work but I’d really like a more permanent OS level solution if possible.

Any suggestions? Thanks,

Backstory: A family member gave me a no longer used 1st gen Kindle a few weeks ago. I installed Jelly Bean, Gapps, the apps I wanted, and customized the look and feel. I created a crude wall mount, fished the USB cable through the wall. Surprisingly everything worked well on the first try and all was great. So great I rushed out a snapped up 5 more Kindles on Craigslist to repurpose them as additional poor-man home automation panels. To clone I used COTR->nandroid->backup/recovery to copy my ‘gold image’ from the first to the other 5. After cloning the only tweaks I made were setting unique hostnames, Wi-Fi direct names, and static IP addresses on each. It wasn’t till I mounted them all I noticed the MAC address issue.
25th January 2014, 12:41 AM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Info 2
I found a similar thread at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1406845&page=4

From a quick read it seems their solution was to use a hex editor at a specific location on one of the binaries to update the MAC. They were using CM7. I’ll research and experiment a bit to see if I can leverage a similar solution in CM10.

Also others mentioned using the idme to set the MAC address. This does change what idme reports but has no effect on what the OS is presenting to the router.

I’ll update my findings here.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes