5,596,784 Members 48,027 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Kindle Fire + Mac Guide

Tip us?

jji7skyline
Old
(Last edited by jji7skyline; 23rd July 2012 at 03:38 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Default Kindle Fire + Mac Guide

If you're like me, you have a Kindle Fire, but you would prefer to use it with a Mac than with a Windows computer. I'm writing up a guide on how to do numerous things such as rooting the Fire, but with a Mac.

Rooting

If you want to modify your device, the first thing to do is to root it. You can then install many apps that require root privileges, as well as install TWRP and FireFireFire Bootloader.

I use the utility Breakdroid, and it is easier to use than KindleFireUtility, the Windows counterpart, because it does not require you to install any drivers, it just works. Here is the website. Go to downloads to download the Breakdroid tool for Kindle Fire.

http://northmendo.com/breakdroid/ Feel free to donate to the guy who made this.

1. Download Breakdroid and mount the DMG file.

2. Make a folder on your desktop or applications folder called 'Breakdroid' and copy over all the files.

3. Open the Breakdroid application. It will open a terminal window. Use option 5 'Kindle Fire Tools' and hit return.

4. An icon will bounce on your dock. It may bounce for up to a minute. It will then ask you if you want to open this application downloaded from the web. Click ok.

5. It will then show a dialog warning you that this voids your warranty. If you are attempting this, you should know this already.

6. Now it opens another terminal window.

7. Type '1' and press enter. Follow prompts. Make sure you follow any instructions exactly. Follow all the steps until step 8. You can use step 9 to donate to the guy who made this. It is optional.

8. Finally you can use step 10 to quit the Kindle Fire tools.

9. FireFireFire has been installed as bootloader and you have rooted your device.

Recovery

You can use TWRP which has been installed by the previous guide to install ROMS, backup the current system and recover from any problems.

1. To access the TWRP recovery, shut down your kindle by holding down the power button until it shows a shut down dialog. Tap shut down.

2. Now turn the Fire on again. It will show a blue 'Kindle Fire' logo. This is the new FireFireFire bootloader which has been installed.

3. Keep your eye on the power button light. It should be green. Wait for it to flicker slightly. Or you can wait 2 seconds. Then press the power button again. It will show boot options.

4. Use the power button to cycle between the boot modes. Choose recovery to boot into recovery, then leave your Fire to boot.

5. Team Win logo will show, then the curtain will rise, showing a grid of buttons.

6. You have booted into recovery! Reboot without choosing recovery mode to get back to the normal system.

Install a ROM

1. Hook up your Fire with your Mac with a Micro-B USB cable. You can get them cheap on eBay, but mine broke after a few weeks, so feel free to find a more reliable vendor.

2. Download a ROM for your Fire. I'd recommend the GedeROM if you want an Ice Cream Sandwich ROM, or MoDaCo if you want a modified stock ROM with Google Play Store preinstalled.

3. Copy over the .zip file, placing on the Fire which has mounted on your desktop. Also copy over the gapps .zip if provided if you want the Google Apps package.

4. Eject the Fire and disconnect it from the Mac.

5. Use the previous guide to boot into Recovery.

6. Tap the Backup button and backup your system. This is very important, especially when installing your first ROM.

7. BACKUP YOUR CURRENT SYSTEM! For good measure.

8. Now tap the home button at the top right of the screen. Now tap Wipe, then tap Factory Reset. Then wipe Cache, then wipe Davlik Cache. Finally System Wipe. (Thanks to Thepooch for the best way to do this bit!)

9. This will wipe the device, so make sure you've Backed up your Fire! (See steps 6 and 7).

10. Now go back to the home screen using the home button and tap the install button.

11. Choose the ROM .zip file which you placed on the sdcard. I hope you named it something easy to remember and identify.

12. Tap install.

13. If it fails, restore from the backup you made (see how important backing up before wiping is?) and make sure your ROM you downloaded was downloaded properly. Also make sure it's the original zip file, not expanded or recompressed. Then repeat. If all else fails, try a different ROM or just stay with stock.

14. If it was successful, then go back to the home screen, and if you downloaded a gapps zip file, flash this as well, in the same manner as the ROM zip.

15. Reboot into system using the reboot button on the home screen.

16. Successful? If you don't like your ROM, you can always revert to stock using your backup, or install a new ROM following these steps.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

If you found this guide helpful, please click the Thanks button. It means a lot.
If you found this post helpful, please click the Thanks button!

My devices: iMac and Original Kindle Fire

My website: www.tbgs.tk
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jji7skyline For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Thepooch
Old
(Last edited by Thepooch; 23rd July 2012 at 05:39 AM.)
Thanks Meter 883
great guide nice job really
The Following User Says Thank You to Thepooch For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jji7skyline
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Ok, I'll add that.

Yea, I'm just annoyed how little support there is for Macs so I wanted to show that it can be done

akbd
Old
(Last edited by akbd; 30th July 2012 at 11:41 AM.) Reason: already find the solution
Thanks Meter 0
Default where can i get the link to the rom

I tried googling for the rom, and i downloaded the rom from MoDaCo, but when it finished downloaded, it's not written as .zip file.

I tried to place the entire folder in the sd card, but when go thru the TWRP recovery, of course, i couldnt find any .zip file.

Anybody can help?

jji7skyline
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
This is a common problem. Open Safari, then press Command + (comma). This opens your preferences. Untick the option of automatically opening 'safe' files which is automatically unzipping your zip files. Now you can redownload the ROM and find the zip in your Downloads folder

blinkstop
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default some links to make this happen

Great info, will test much of it shortly. A few links that I found helpful and are ref'd above:

for the Google Apps package, Rootzwiki was helpful
http://wiki.rootzwiki.com/Google_App...droid_4.1.x.29
and points to Jelly Bean universal apps:
http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
Kudos to twa_priv for a start to that trail.

Also twa_priv has useful info here (not mac specific, check the changelog for udpates)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ean+gapps+fire
that also links to hashcode's kernel_omap (now over my skill set, but might be useful)
https://github.com/KFire-Android/ker...droid-omap-3.0

A couple of ROMs for Jelly Bean (I've not tested yet, but they're on my list):
Jandy Cane
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ac+kindle+fire
and since I can't find the post with the .sig file where I found AlienDroidV2.0 (which I'm told has hashcode's kernel in it), here's a bonus page that seems to have lots of good info:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ac+kindle+fire

northmendo's breakdroid always worth mentioning, cuz you might need to start there:
http://northmendo.com/breakdroid/ (I found kindlewater mysterious but worked for me)
and the video to Root Kindle Fire Mac (6.3 & 6.3.1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K_sw1quZlw

That ought to get you started. All links good as of today, 9/9 2012.

jji7skyline
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Most of that info is already on the original post :/

blinkstop
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Sign links were missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jji7skyline View Post
Most of that info is already on the original post :/
Info yes, but links to all things downloadable were missing (except breakdroid), which is why I spent time documenting it.
The Following User Says Thank You to blinkstop For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Thepooch
Old
Thanks Meter 883
nice job I`m sure that your research will help others
The Following User Says Thank You to Thepooch For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

handamputation
Old
(Last edited by handamputation; 31st October 2012 at 05:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
[EDIT 2] I've noticed that I am having an issue with charging since I installed the rom. It will only recognize the charger when the Kindle is turned on, and it charges VERY slow. Anyone have any insight to this? [EDIT 2]

[EDIT] Nevermind! The play store was included! This TOTALLY reinvented the Fire for me. [EDIT]

Thanks so much for this! Working on it now.

One question.. The site that I downloaded gede from didn't come with the GApps zip. I went searching, but it looks like there are many different versions. Could you please inform me of where to get the right one?

Thank you again. Very, very much!

Tags
guide, mac, osx, rom, root