Post Reply

Question Charging with USB Cable

OP user28

25th January 2014, 11:57 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
106 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
I had recently purchased the C6502. At work I do not have AC power outlet to charge the phone. So I generally used to charge my old smartphone (LG Optimus 4X HD) with a blackberry USB cable. I used to charge my old phone by connecting to the monitor's USB port using the blackberry cable. Though the phone showed as "Slow charging", it served the purpose.

But now using the same Blackberry USB cable and the same USB port, if i try to charge the C6502, it just lights up the screen and does not show any charging indication or the notification LED light.

Am I missing something here or the phone charges only with the original Sony provided USB cable?

Note: The same USB cable and the USB port work perfectly fine for other smart phones my colleagues are having like Galaxy grand, Lumia 610, HTC Desire SV etc. Of course when connected to the usb port all these phones are showing as slow charging, but they do charge slowly. But my XZL does not even charge. So I am definitely sure the cable and the port are perfectly fine.

Is there a way I can charge my XZL with the USB cable using the USB port?
25th January 2014, 12:06 PM   |  #2  
bhavstech's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 260
 
857 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
More
Does your phone get charged on the provided charger?does the battery icon indicate charging bcoz this phone is vry vry slw when charging frm pc

Sent from my C6502 using xda app-developers app
25th January 2014, 12:12 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
106 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavstech

Does your phone get charged on the provided charger?does the battery icon indicate charging bcoz this phone is vry vry slw when charging frm pc

Sent from my C6502 using xda app-developers app

Yes it is charging with the original provided charger and cable.
25th January 2014, 12:16 PM   |  #4  
bhavstech's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 260
 
857 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by user28

Yes it is charging with the original provided charger and cable.

but does it show indication when u connect it to pc via blackberry cable
25th January 2014, 12:41 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
106 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavstech

but does it show indication when u connect it to pc via blackberry cable

Let me explain it more clearly.
At my work the USB ports on the CPU are disabled. But the monitors are having USB ports which can be connected to the CPU through another cable, so that USB devices can be connected to the monitor's USB ports insteading of leaning till the CPU under the desk. But those ports are not connected to the CPU so the ports on the monitor just act as a power source but not as data source. So we use the monitor's usb ports for charging our devices like phones, ipods etc.

As i had already told that my XZL screen lights up when connected to the port using the blackberry cable, but no indication of charging as well as no LED light. Same case with another colleague's Xperia SP.
25th January 2014, 12:50 PM   |  #6  
bhavstech's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 260
 
857 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by user28

Let me explain it more clearly.
At my work the USB ports on the CPU are disabled. But the monitors are having USB ports which can be connected to the CPU through another cable, so that USB devices can be connected to the monitor's USB ports insteading of leaning till the CPU under the desk. But those ports are not connected to the CPU so the ports on the monitor just act as a power source but not as data source. So we use the monitor's usb ports for charging our devices like phones, ipods etc.

As i had already told that my XZL screen lights up when connected to the port using the blackberry cable, but no indication of charging as well as no LED light. Same case with another colleague's Xperia SP.

as simple as your device does not detect any pc therefore it doesnt accept charging depends from phone to phone
25th January 2014, 12:57 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
106 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavstech

as simple as your device does not detect any pc therefore it doesnt accept charging depends from phone to phone

So sony does not support "chaging only" mode using USB cable. How pathetic !!!. Supposed to be a "Smart phone" but really do not understand why cut down basic features.

Can anybody confirm if this cut down of a basic feature is a standard for Sony phones?
25th January 2014, 03:21 PM   |  #8  
bhavstech's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 260
 
857 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
More
No buddy usb charging works when pc is on!i checked it doesnt charge when main supply is on bt cpu is off but it charges when cpu is on

Sent from my C6502 using xda app-developers app
25th January 2014, 05:31 PM   |  #9  
Junior Member
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 4
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
USB charging
I have observed two things -
1) Yes, it does not charge in some cases. I have a power bank cable, with this cable it charges for some time but then it just stops charging without any reason. If you reinsert the plug, it starts charging again.
Other times, it does not charge with USB ports, for example my car music player's USB port. But what I have noticed is, if USB connectivity mode is changed from MTP to MSC or vice-versa it works.
Also some cables do not have two spring notches, and fit quite loose. In such cases pushing cable vertically up or down gets it charging again. But this is very very rare case.

2) I was not able to charge it from front USB port of my PC, but when connected to back USB port, it was charging fine.

My conclusion is, it does not charge if charging rate is too low or mode is incorrect.

I would suggest, try with original Sony USB cable in your office and check if it works. If still it does not, change connectivity mode. Else its a cable issue(not exactly, but phone and cable have some mismatch).

PS - I had similar problem with my chinese tablet. Out of more than 5 cables, It charges with only one cable from Nokia(it does not even charge with original tab USB cable ). I think there are separate data pins and power pins. But data pins can double as power pins. I think there was some damage to the tab USB pins, because of which data pin no more works as power pin and hence it does not charge and requires cable having power pins. Can somebody throw more light on this?
Last edited by givemered; 25th January 2014 at 05:39 PM.
25th January 2014, 05:49 PM   |  #10  
bhavstech's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 260
 
857 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
More
Relax its just u need a pc on to charge it it happens in my case too n my phone works fy9 with any cable

Sent from my C6502 using xda app-developers app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes