5,599,478 Members 40,243 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] I have a problem with data being deleted on reboot?

Tip us?

Jason1712
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] I have a problem with data being deleted on reboot?

Hi,
I rooted my phone because I wanted to use an application called FolderMount, so I could store big chunks of data from apps onto my SD card.(it seems as though the SD card is useless on Android)I am using an HTC Desire 601, with Android version 4.2.2. Now my problem is that, I'm having an error with FolderMount because of something to do with external SD card r/w permissions.(no this is not specific to the app, it's a software wide problem, that's why I'm posting here.) So I found a "fix" that involved editing platform.xml and adding a line. However, everytime I try to edit it, either the phone just reboots, or no changes are made. Basically, the system folder is denying me r/w access. In root explorer there is a feature to mount it temporarily as r/w, but then if I reboot my changes are lost. This is a problem which I think is also not allowing me to install Busybox. Please help me with this. Thank you.

LS.xD
Old
Thanks Meter 322

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1712 View Post
Hi,
I rooted my phone because I wanted to use an application called FolderMount, so I could store big chunks of data from apps onto my SD card.(it seems as though the SD card is useless on Android)I am using an HTC Desire 601, with Android version 4.2.2. Now my problem is that, I'm having an error with FolderMount because of something to do with external SD card r/w permissions.(no this is not specific to the app, it's a software wide problem, that's why I'm posting here.) So I found a "fix" that involved editing platform.xml and adding a line. However, everytime I try to edit it, either the phone just reboots, or no changes are made. Basically, the system folder is denying me r/w access. In root explorer there is a feature to mount it temporarily as r/w, but then if I reboot my changes are lost. This is a problem which I think is also not allowing me to install Busybox. Please help me with this. Thank you.

Stock rom?

Which root app do you use?
HTC One S @ TwistedKat 2.6 + IceCode Kernel v3.3 // HBoot 2.15 - unlocked BL - S-OFF - SuperCID - NO "tampered & warning text" // PhilZ CWM 6.19.3

Samsung Galaxy W @ Mokee OS 04/11 + KhaN Kernel v2.0 - 362MB // Base: I8150XXLMI // PhilZ CWM 6.01.4

It won't hurt you to press "thanks" if me or someone other helped you...

Jason1712
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS.xD View Post
Stock rom?

Which root app do you use?
I'm using the default version of Android that came with my phone, if that's what you mean. And umm what do you mean by which root app did I use?

LS.xD
Old
Thanks Meter 322

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I'm using the default version of Android that came with my phone, if that's what you mean. And umm what do you mean by which root app did I use?
You said you "ROOTED" your phone. That means you have some kind of "SUPERUSER" app installed. I hope so at least
HTC One S @ TwistedKat 2.6 + IceCode Kernel v3.3 // HBoot 2.15 - unlocked BL - S-OFF - SuperCID - NO "tampered & warning text" // PhilZ CWM 6.19.3

Samsung Galaxy W @ Mokee OS 04/11 + KhaN Kernel v2.0 - 362MB // Base: I8150XXLMI // PhilZ CWM 6.01.4

Jason1712
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
You said you "ROOTED" your phone. That means you have some kind of "SUPERUSER" app installed. I hope so at least
Oh okay I have the SuperSU app it's SuperSU v1.93 I don't know if it's the latest version. Sorry, I'm new to this rooting stuff. I only got this phone this Monday, and I only got to know about rooting the day after.

LS.xD
Old
(Last edited by LS.xD; 23rd March 2014 at 10:18 AM.)
Thanks Meter 322

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Oh okay I have the SuperSU app it's SuperSU v1.93 I don't know if it's the latest version. Sorry, I'm new to this rooting stuff. I only got this phone this Monday, and I only got to know about rooting the day after.
Open SuperSU and check if access is granted for "FolderMount"

Do you use free FolderMount? Thats limited to 3links at all.

What type of sd card do you use?

Jason1712
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Open SuperSU and check if access is granted for "FolderMount"

Do you use free FolderMount? Thats limited to 3links at all.
Yes, of course access is granted. I have only tried to create one link so far...so it can't be anything to do with the number of links permitted in FolderMount. I mean, I haven't been able to create a single working link. Precisely, the error I'm getting in FolderMount has something to do with sd card r/w permissions(I've linked a screenshot;maybe you've had this problem before and you solved it?)

The only possible fix I can find is the edit to platform.xml. I've contacted the developer; notice how it says "Attempt to patch my ROM"? Well the developer told me that when the patch is applied and when I reboot, the patch is erased because of the reboot(he said that seems to be the case) so I need to find a way to ensure that it isn't erased. I'm having the same problem here; when I make an edit, it's erased either immediately or after reboot. So that's why I need to find a way to fix this. Thanks, if you have a possible fix.

I've tried using DirectoryBind, but it doesn't work and I hear it's been broken since 4.2. I don't know how to revert back to a previous Android version for my device, so I'm stuck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-03-22-15-33-09.png
Views:	12
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	2645384  

LS.xD
Old
Thanks Meter 322

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Yes, of course access is granted. I have only tried to create one link so far...so it can't be anything to do with the number of links permitted in FolderMount. I mean, I haven't been able to create a single working link. Precisely, the error I'm getting in FolderMount has something to do with sd card r/w permissions(I've linked a screenshot;maybe you've had this problem before and you solved it?)

The only possible fix I can find is the edit to platform.xml. I've contacted the developer; notice how it says "Attempt to patch my ROM"? Well the developer told me that when the patch is applied and when I reboot, the patch is erased because of the reboot(he said that seems to be the case) so I need to find a way to ensure that it isn't erased. I'm having the same problem here; when I make an edit, it's erased either immediately or after reboot. So that's why I need to find a way to fix this. Thanks, if you have a possible fix.

I've tried using DirectoryBind, but it doesn't work and I hear it's been broken since 4.2. I don't know how to revert back to a previous Android version for my device, so I'm stuck.
Some files e.g. related to kernel will be generated on every boot. In that case you can't change em permanently. BUT you can try another solution so far Create a ext2/ext4 partition on your external sd and use Link2SD or APP2SD pro

Sithu Htun
Old
Thanks Meter 15
In the superSU setting, try enabling option allow apps requesting root permission at start up(on boot).

Sent from my G610-U00 using xda app-developers app

Jason1712
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Some files e.g. related to kernel will be generated on every boot. In that case you can't change em permanently. BUT you can try another solution so far Create a ext2/ext4 partition on your external sd and use Link2SD or APP2SD pro
Um..how do I do that?