5,593,793 Members 46,644 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[6400mAh/128GB] Extended Battery/Extended Memory ... DIY Mod for Galaxy Note 3

Tip us?

b00mb00mchuck
Old
(Last edited by b00mb00mchuck; 21st January 2014 at 02:43 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 296
Default [6400mAh/128GB] Extended Battery/Extended Memory ... DIY Mod for Galaxy Note 3

I'll probly get some flack for this cuzz it's a bit ugly ... but for us geek freeks who care more about performance than looks this works... and it ain't quite as bad as I thought it would be when I started out... turns out to be quite a conversation starter when people notice it... "hey what's that little box on the back of your phone?"... "you MADE that?!"... blah blah blah

So ... first thing I did was grab one of these on ebay

http://ebay.com/itm/131095796913?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

Then one of these... the brand doesn't matter I guess so any 6400mAh battery and cover will do...

Then let the hacking begin... the microSD to SD adapter is a bit thick because it has PC board material stuck to both sides so I peeled that stuff off... it's just glued on there with some basic weak adhesive so it comes right apart with some slow coaxing... then there's the micro side of the adapter... it's a bit long so it sticks out of the micro slot too far and hits the battery... no biggie... A couple clips with finger nail clippers and it fits perfect. Then all you need to do is cut a hole in the back cover with the trusty Dremel tool and it's a wrap... did I mention I LOVE THIS PHONE!!

Pics of the inside... adapter trimmed and inserted... card slot taped down with some Carbon Fiber Vinyl wrap I had left over...

Pics of the outside... hole cut in the back cover... SD adapter sticking out all obvious like

And that's about the size of it... the world's first extended battery/extended memory Galaxy Note 3 (I don't know if that's true or not... just talking smack) .... and I love it... battery lasts forever and I can cram buttloads of crap on this thing for my long hours sitting on the crane with nothing to do but watch movies etc...

The one thing I didn't take pictures of is the whole thing with the gel case on it... makes the mod barely noticeable at all for a cleaner look... but I hardly use it that way cuzz I don't like the rubbery case feel trying to get it in and out of my pocket... plus it hides my little conversation piece

Next thing I wanna try is this bad boy... make my N3 better than my damn netbook
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to b00mb00mchuck For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Brandonrz
Old
Thanks Meter 410

DONATE TO ME
Sick. Imma try it out. Thanks for the tut This stuff makes the xda world spin.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

No huge sig swag.
Creator of NEON ROM~
I like android.
NOTE 3 TEAM.

brex91
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I used to do something similar with my note 2 and s4. I had trimmed the adapter down, and cut a small hole in the stock back cover. Then I used a basic tpu case (stretchy) to cover it up.

But I started getting nervous about leaving a $100 sd card exposed, and able to get knocked around. So with my note 3 I I got an extended battery cover (either hyperion or anker- they sent it too me free) and tapped down the battery and sd card so they wouldn't flop around inside.

So mine looks like a normal note 3 with an extended battery, and have the best protection for the sd card.

Plus its probably the easiest way to do it.

b00mb00mchuck
Old
(Last edited by b00mb00mchuck; 21st January 2014 at 08:18 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 296
I did the same thing at first... then I couldn't stand the idea of all the extra, unused space in there and I had to do it with the extended battery included... best of both worlds... and the way I use my phone ... having the SD card exposed doesn't bother me at all... This phone never sees any rough use at all.

brex91
Old
Thanks Meter 1
yeah I did that on my note 2 with the zerolemon 9300mah battery. Impressive battery life, but honestly I'm next to an outlet pretty much all day, and usually keep it plugged in because I'm tethering.

But cool mod, what kind of life are you getting on it?

b00mb00mchuck
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 296
Pretty solid battery... I'm at 1d 19h with 9h screen time and 30% left... I've been babying this battery through the first few cycles though... always let it run down to absolute zero... then recharge at 750mA while I'm sleeping... takes like 7 hours to charge but it has made the battery better and better as I go along... especially at the bottom of the battery... from 10% to zero takes foreeeeveeerrrrr.

Big Cam
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by b00mb00mchuck View Post
Pretty solid battery... I'm at 1d 19h with 9h screen time and 30% left... I've been babying this battery through the first few cycles though... always let it run down to absolute zero... then recharge at 750mA while I'm sleeping... takes like 7 hours to charge but it has made the battery better and better as I go along... especially at the bottom of the battery... from 10% to zero takes foreeeeveeerrrrr.
I've got nothing really to add except this is awesome. I came from a Galaxy Nexus with a 3600mah extended battery and I barely got 3 hours of screen time.

Now with the Note 3 I'm getting 5-6 hours of screen time with the stock 3200 mah batery. I told myself there is no reason for an extended battery with this phone. 9 hours of screen time and obviously another 2 hours probably coming, you've got me thinking.

Great write up.
Droid1 >> LG Revolution >> Galaxy Nexus>>Note 3

neyenlives
Old
Thanks Meter 444
Yeah I can't justify this because I get 5-6 hours screen time and 15-20 hours battery life on a stock phone, but I appreciate the attention to detail. I was actually thinking with my GS3 that maybe I could attach a heating or two to the hottest components on the PCB and then cut out the back cover to allow them to get cool air. The goal was to allow massive overclocking, assuming heat was the only issue.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

perissatto
Old
Thanks Meter 30
I can't find this product on eBay.
Can someone please inform the name of this? The link is not valid from OP.

I want to buy one of this but with the extension of another micro sd.
Thanks

Enviado de meu SM-N9005 usando Tapatalk