Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,036 Members 52,328 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Any way to make STOCK chromecast work offline?

Tip us?

gianptune
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70
Default Any way to make STOCK chromecast work offline?

I'm using my chromecast to watch files stored on the same network. But when I lose connection to to my ISP, chromecast gets stuck trying to talk to the internet and is useless for watching things from Plex. I know Plex still works, because I can watch it on my Ouya.

So, the question is, are there any tricks out there to make a STOCK chromecast think it is able to talk to the internet? Can I run a local server and point chromecast to my local server when it attempts to see if it online?

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 245
Nope, It needs internet to load up the receiver apps it uses to play...

Technically you should be able to continue playing locally once that is loaded without Internet access but the device may now sense the loss and unload apps to report the loss of connection.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 751

DONATE TO ME
and you can't spoof the whitelist server because it uses HTTPS and Chromecast only has the certificates for the Google server.

Adding a certificate for your own local server requires root.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

XDA PORTAL POSTS

TWRP Now Available for the LG G Watch and Samsung Gear Live

Over the past week or so, we’ve talkedquite a bit about the first … more

Slate Calendar Helps You Organize Your Life

Without calendars in some form or another, most of our lives would be utter chaos. Unless you are … more

Shane Francis to Talk Android, Robotics, and Vision at XDA:DevCon 2014

Our international xda:devcon 14in Manchester, UK on the weekend of … more

LG G Watch Tool is a Toolkit all Owners Need

The LG G Watch is one of the first two devices hitting the market rocking the highly anticipated … more