Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,820 Members 49,692 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Any way to make STOCK chromecast work offline?

Tip us?

gianptune
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
Default Any way to make STOCK chromecast work offline?

I'm using my chromecast to watch files stored on the same network. But when I lose connection to to my ISP, chromecast gets stuck trying to talk to the internet and is useless for watching things from Plex. I know Plex still works, because I can watch it on my Ouya.

So, the question is, are there any tricks out there to make a STOCK chromecast think it is able to talk to the internet? Can I run a local server and point chromecast to my local server when it attempts to see if it online?

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 262
Nope, It needs internet to load up the receiver apps it uses to play...

Technically you should be able to continue playing locally once that is loaded without Internet access but the device may now sense the loss and unload apps to report the loss of connection.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 807

DONATE TO ME
and you can't spoof the whitelist server because it uses HTTPS and Chromecast only has the certificates for the Google server.

Adding a certificate for your own local server requires root.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'