XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

BubbleUPnP is finally supporting Chromecast

Tip us?

jasenko
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Default BubbleUPnP is finally supporting Chromecast

As previously announced (some 6 months ago), it finally happened. Seems very stable from the 30 minutes I had to play with it. Opens a lot of opportunities. Funny that it supports Plex better than Plex themselvesf, and free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bbleupnp&hl=en

Enjoy...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jasenko For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mathorv
Old
(Last edited by mathorv; 20th February 2014 at 12:45 PM.)
Thanks Meter 65
BubbleUPnP UPnP/DLNA free 1.8.0 with full chromecast 15250 support it's limited to 20/30 minutes of playback.
If you want more you have to pay €3,49/$4.69 for BubbleUPnP UPnP/DLNA License
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...unlocker&hl=en

Quote:
What's New
Finally, full Chromecast support with optional transcoding for playing non natively supported media.
Play your music, videos and photos to your Chromecast, whether located on your Android device, your local network or the cloud!
Playing Chromecast natively supported media is unrestricted in the free version of BubbleUPnP.
Playing transcoded media requires installing BubbleUPnP Server 0.8 on your network, and is limited to 20 minutes per app launch in the free version of BubbleUPnP.
Free for up to 20 minutes of playing
Quote:
BubbleUPnP free version limitations:

- ads
- Internet streaming with BubbleUPnP Server is limited to 30 minutes per app launch
- Playlist and Library Shuffle are limited to 16 tracks
- downloads limited to batches of maximum 40 tracks
- the local renderer is remotely controllable by external Control Points for 30 mins per app launch
- the local Media Server is not browsable by filesystem (SD Card)
- playing media from external apps is limited to 3 plays per app launch
If you found this information helpful please click [THANKS] below

jasenko
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Spent a bit more time with it and still impressed. I bought a premium version about a year ago, and was completely oblivious that there might be some limitations. Glad to see that app is 100% free and working for Chromecast supported formats.

In their defence, also bought Plex app, and still unable to cast anything. And as I said, it does Plex better than Plex app in my opinion.

bubbleguuum
Old
Thanks Meter 1264
Yes I'm very glad I could release Chromecast support.
It has been a long wait since my early tests in August/September.
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbleguuum For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rkirmeier
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenko View Post
Funny that it supports Plex better than Plex themselvesf, and free.

Please explain! Plex app works great for me...

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 565

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathorv View Post
BubbleUPnP UPnP/DLNA free 1.8.0 with full chromecast 15250 support it's limited to 20/30 minutes of playback.
If you want more you have to pay 3,49/$4.69 for BubbleUPnP UPnP/DLNA License
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...unlocker&hl=en
I just launched 1.8.0 and the history says
Quote:
Playing media natively supported by Chromecast is unrestricted in the free version of BubbleUPnP
so I believe the 20/30 minute limit applies only if you need BubbleUPnP Server to transcode content?
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mathorv
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
so I believe the 20/30 minute limit applies only if you need BubbleUPnP Server to transcode content?
Media natively supported = MP4, webm, (with supported codecs) and audio files. In this matter you are right it's free, but I have not tried it to be absolutely sure.
If you found this information helpful please click [THANKS] below

xdadevnube
Old
Thanks Meter 90
Now with BubbleUPnP support, can someone give me some advice? I use BubbleUPnP a lot and it is my favorite app for media.
I have an original firmware Chromecast that has never seen the Internet. I don't want to lose the flexibility of the software potential, but now with BubbleUPnP as well as Google releasing the APIs, I am wondering what the best plan would be.
What would you guys do with your original firmware Chromecast?

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 565

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdadevnube View Post
Now with BubbleUPnP support, can someone give me some advice? I use BubbleUPnP a lot and it is my favorite app for media.
I have an original firmware Chromecast that has never seen the Internet. I don't want to lose the flexibility of the software potential, but now with BubbleUPnP as well as Google releasing the APIs, I am wondering what the best plan would be.
What would you guys do with your original firmware Chromecast?
I would root it. If you don't care about root, sell/trade it to someone who does.

The only thing you lose is some time between a Google OTA release and the corresponding Team Eureka release.

Normal incremental releases don't see much/any functionality breakage.
This one was an exception because of the new SDK and APIs needing to be in-sync across both clients and Chromecasts.
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
I would root it. If you don't care about root, sell/trade it to someone who does.
THIS!

If you don't really want root then it's more valuable to someone else than it would be if you allowed it lose it's rootable condition.

Congrats to the BubbleUPnP folks for the added CCast support.
I have not tried it fully yet but to those who are currently using aVia, a switch to Bubble might be a good move.
Especially if you have the Bubble Server running on a PC since you will get the transcoding goodness not available with aVia...

Now if MX Player would add CCast support my local streaming to CCast world would be complete.