Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,856 Members 38,199 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can't multitask in full screen mode

Tip us?

swillard
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Can't multitask in full screen mode

When I first got my Chromecast, I was able to play a video (on hulu for example) in fullscreen mode, then alt tab back to Chrome so I could still use my laptop while casting to the TV in full screen.

In the past week, it no longer works. When I alt tab, it automatically goes out of full screen mode. So now I have to have my laptop playing the video in fullscreen if I want to cast it in fullscreen to the TV.

I can't find anything in my searches about this happening to anyone else when I google the problem. Has anyone else run across this issue?

Thanks

aiiee
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by swillard View Post
When I first got my Chromecast, I was able to play a video (on hulu for example) in fullscreen mode, then alt tab back to Chrome so I could still use my laptop while casting to the TV in full screen.

In the past week, it no longer works. When I alt tab, it automatically goes out of full screen mode. So now I have to have my laptop playing the video in fullscreen if I want to cast it in fullscreen to the TV.

I can't find anything in my searches about this happening to anyone else when I google the problem. Has anyone else run across this issue?

Thanks
Sorry, it works fine for me, and I have the latest update. Maybe reinstall?

swillard
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiiee View Post
Sorry, it works fine for me, and I have the latest update. Maybe reinstall?
What do I reinstall? I've reinstalled the cast extension and that didn't fix it. I have the most current version of Chrome. I can only thing to uninstall and reinstall Chrome to see if that fixes the problem.

aiiee
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
What do I reinstall? I've reinstalled the cast extension and that didn't fix it. I have the most current version of Chrome. I can only thing to uninstall and reinstall Chrome to see if that fixes the problem.
I don't know, I don't have the problem.

srgibbs99
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Default What about Flash?

Quote:

Thanks
My guess is this is related to the Flash Player or the player on the site that you are using. I have seen this happen on my two monitor setup where when I go to the second screen it breaks out of full screen mode on the first monitor. I'm pretty sure all i had to do was restart my machine. But I would try reinstalling Flash, clearing cache, cookies, etc.

Do you see the same behavior when you are not using Chromecast?

Good luck.

swillard
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by srgibbs99 View Post
My guess is this is related to the Flash Player or the player on the site that you are using. I have seen this happen on my two monitor setup where when I go to the second screen it breaks out of full screen mode on the first monitor. I'm pretty sure all i had to do was restart my machine. But I would try reinstalling Flash, clearing cache, cookies, etc.

Do you see the same behavior when you are not using Chromecast?

Good luck.
It happens with any video, whether casting or not. I used to be able to watch Hulu.com in fullscreen and cast it to the tv, then I could alt tab to another tab to check FB or something. Now it doesn't work. I've tried hulu, youtube, and some other video sites and they all the the same thing. When you hit Alt they immediately go back to the small screen page. I've rebooted my computer and reinstalled the Cast extension. Wondering if I need to reinstall Chrome. It did crash one me a few times this weekend, though not in the past couple of days.

m2cool2go
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
It happens with any video, whether casting or not. I used to be able to watch Hulu.com in fullscreen and cast it to the tv, then I could alt tab to another tab to check FB or something. Now it doesn't work. I've tried hulu, youtube, and some other video sites and they all the the same thing. When you hit Alt they immediately go back to the small screen page. I've rebooted my computer and reinstalled the Cast extension. Wondering if I need to reinstall Chrome. It did crash one me a few times this weekend, though not in the past couple of days.
I have had a similar issue. I received mine on Tuesday and the first day full screen worked for espn and I was able to Alt+Tab to continue browsing. Last night, I tried to do the same thing but It would only display a picture of the tab with the embedded video (when I would go to full screen, the embedded video was black with the tab content around it. when I would exit full screen the embedded video began playing again.) Essentially, I can no longer go into full screen mode for any flash based video (tried with NFL network too). Mine did an update first thing when I turned it on yesterday. I didn't write down the original version I had nor what it updated to. My flash player also updated recently but I think that was before I tried it for the first time. I did not try to reboot my machine or reinstall flash / chrome but I did attempt to do it from 2 different computers on my network and both suffered from the same issue.

swillard
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2cool2go View Post
I have had a similar issue. I received mine on Tuesday and the first day full screen worked for espn and I was able to Alt+Tab to continue browsing. Last night, I tried to do the same thing but It would only display a picture of the tab with the embedded video (when I would go to full screen, the embedded video was black with the tab content around it. when I would exit full screen the embedded video began playing again.) Essentially, I can no longer go into full screen mode for any flash based video (tried with NFL network too). Mine did an update first thing when I turned it on yesterday. I didn't write down the original version I had nor what it updated to. My flash player also updated recently but I think that was before I tried it for the first time. I did not try to reboot my machine or reinstall flash / chrome but I did attempt to do it from 2 different computers on my network and both suffered from the same issue.
I found a post on another forum that helped me resolve the issue. In your google chrome browser (assuming that's what you are using), type in about://plugins. Click on the Details icon (+) on the far right of the Plugins title bar. Look for Adobe flash and you probably have 2 plugins listed. Look for pepflashplayer.dll . It should be listed in the location section. Click on disable. You may need to restart the browser. Try your fullscreen again.

That fixed it for me, so I hope it fixes it for you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swillard For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hpcolombia
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I just found a pretty neat trick to do fullscreen.

Install the "Chrome Toolbox" which allows you to open flash videos by themselves, separate from anything else on that webpage.

Go to the page with the flash video you are playing. Cast that tab. Hover over the video and an icon will appear to allow you to put it on its own window. Chromecast will now only show the video, same as if you went fullscreen. Video quality seems better when the window is not minimized.
The Following User Says Thank You to hpcolombia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

swillard
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpcolombia View Post
I just found a pretty neat trick to do fullscreen.

Install the "Chrome Toolbox" which allows you to open flash videos by themselves, separate from anything else on that webpage.

Go to the page with the flash video you are playing. Cast that tab. Hover over the video and an icon will appear to allow you to put it on its own window. Chromecast will now only show the video, same as if you went fullscreen. Video quality seems better when the window is not minimized.
Thanks for the tip but I can't get it to work. I have Chrome Toolbox installed, went to Hulu and cast that tab and not getting anything when I hover over the view to pop it out as a separate window.