Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Question [Q] Soft-Bricked after 4.3 update, what's the protocol?

OP Ripptor

25th January 2014, 04:25 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Sorry if this is a repeat question, but after searching I still can't seem to find a solution (that I can understand anyway.) I relatively new, having only rooted this phone once before, successfully, but a year ago. I've been reading up for the past two days, but I can't seem to find the soft-brick solution to the new Knox problem.

Short history: Rooted 4.2 a while back, but the speakers stopped working (constant headphone mode) so I thought a software update was finally in order. Did the 4.3 update (not knowing about Knox) to see if that fixed the headphone issue (it didn't) then installed TWRP and tried to install the 4.4 OMNI nightly. After install, it hangs on Samsung logo (soft brick?). Restored to backup, but still hangs. Tried installing SlimKat 4.4, but the install fails. Unsure where to go from here.

Phone still powers up, goes into both Download and Recovery mode. TWRP is the current bootloader(?)/recovery(?).

So, is there a simple reason I'm soft-bricked? I read that Knox is in the bootloader, so is it because I'm using TWRP that it hangs? I find it odd that after restoring to previous settings it still doesn't function. Also, I don't care about the warranty bit, so anything is on the table for me.

Much love to those who spend the time to help out, please link to any resources for me and others who have the same problem. I'll append the working solution to this post for quick access in the future!
25th January 2014, 09:20 PM   |  #2  
Flag Creole State
Thanks Meter: 181

834 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripptor

Sorry if this is a repeat question, but after searching I still can't seem to find a solution (that I can understand anyway.) I relatively new, having only rooted this phone once before, successfully, but a year ago. I've been reading up for the past two days, but I can't seem to find the soft-brick solution to the new Knox problem.

Short history: Rooted 4.2 a while back, but the speakers stopped working (constant headphone mode) so I thought a software update was finally in order. Did the 4.3 update (not knowing about Knox) to see if that fixed the headphone issue (it didn't) then installed TWRP and tried to install the 4.4 OMNI nightly. After install, it hangs on Samsung logo (soft brick?). Restored to backup, but still hangs. Tried installing SlimKat 4.4, but the install fails. Unsure where to go from here.

Phone still powers up, goes into both Download and Recovery mode. TWRP is the current bootloader(?)/recovery(?).

So, is there a simple reason I'm soft-bricked? I read that Knox is in the bootloader, so is it because I'm using TWRP that it hangs? I find it odd that after restoring to previous settings it still doesn't function. Also, I don't care about the warranty bit, so anything is on the table for me.

Much love to those who spend the time to help out, please link to any resources for me and others who have the same problem. I'll append the working solution to this post for quick access in the future!

TWRP is your recovery. How were you wiping in between flashes? Sounds like the phone wasnt wiped correctly, causing it to hang. You should be able to flash any ROM zip, because ROM zips dont flash the bootloader, they just flash the system and the kernel. You can flash 4.3 stock tar file in ODIN, but you cant flash anything under 4.3 in ODIN, because tar files flash all parts including the bootloader. If you flash a 4.2 stock tar in ODIN, you will brick instantly.
Last edited by joeyhdownsouth; 25th January 2014 at 09:24 PM.
25th January 2014, 09:32 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyhdownsouth

TWRP is your recovery. How were you wiping in between flashes? Sounds like the phone wasnt wiped correctly, causing it to hang. You should be able to flash any ROM zip, because ROM zips don't flash the bootloader, they just flash the system and the kernel. You can flash 4.3 stock tar file in ODIN, but you cant flash anything under 4.3 in ODIN, because tar files flash all parts including the bootloader. If you flash a 4.2 stock tar in ODIN, you will brick instantly.

I used ODIN to flash TWRP, then wiped using TWRP, factory reset/dalvik cache. It seems that the problem was actually with TWRP, however. Apparently it doesn't install 4.4 KitKat ROMs correctly, from another post that I read. I installed PhilzTouch Recovery instead, and it installed just fine. Phone is working just fine running the latest SlimKat, however I still have no audio output.. So, still gotta figure that out.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread