Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,254 Members 36,121 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

What is EFS folder ?

Tip us?
 
alidsd
Old
#1  
alidsd's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 250
Posts: 459
Join Date: Jun 2011
Default What is EFS folder ?

Hi All,

I came to know the EFS folder is very important in Samsung phones. I didn't cared about it and flashed a different region ROM (XEU->OZS). Each thing is working fine.
I can remember that there used to be some files inside the EFS folder when I had the XEU but now i am little bit worried that the EFS folder is empty.

Many threads on XDA recommend to Backup the EFS folder before flashing new ROM. I have noticed that my Product Code has also changed after flashing the new region ROM.

So anybody can give some details that have I missed something important by not backing up the EFS folder ??

Thanks
Motorola Razr M - XT907
 
irishpancake
Old
#2  
irishpancake's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 282
Posts: 707
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Small Village
Man.....read this:

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...msung-devices/

Are you able to get your IMEI???

*#06# on dialler

Or settings/about phone/status

Also check MAC address is still there!!

There is a backup option in Nitrality, free from Market.....

And, in the link I posted, there is a link to app on XDA, to backup/restore the /efs folder!!!

Are you using Root Explorer or ES to check the folder???

Sent from my GT-I8150 on Lanzarote Canary Vacation using Tapatalk
 
alidsd
Old
#3  
alidsd's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 250
Posts: 459
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpancake View Post
Man.....read this:

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...msung-devices/

Are you able to get your IMEI???

*#06# on dialler

Or settings/about phone/status

Also check MAC address is still there!!

There is a backup option in Nitrality, free from Market.....

And, in the link I posted, there is a link to app on XDA, to backup/restore the /efs folder!!!

Are you using Root Explorer or ES to check the folder???

Sent from my GT-I8150 on Lanzarote Canary Vacation using Tapatalk
Thanks @irishpancake

Currently all the things are working fine. But I came across the EFS related article after I flashed a different region Rom. So I was little bit wondering that Have I done a big mistake ?? thats why i posted here.

all the basband related things are fine including SIM, Wifi, etc. IMEI is also there.
in ES i wasn't enabling Root option that's why I was seeing the blank EFS folder. Now I have copied this folder manually to my PC.
I also tried to backup through Nitrally, it says backup completed, but i am unable to find the backup efs files.
I also tried Win32 (.net) application but due to unavailability of 4.0 framework , it couldn't run.

I noticed one major thing by changing the different region Rom that my product code has been changed. I think it will not have any effect on phone performance/function.

Actually I am in search of best Baseband (Asia) so that the Radio power consumption can be minimized. So I want to try all Asian Roms to check the power consumption in Radio.

Any further suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks again.
Motorola Razr M - XT907
 
irishpancake
Old
(Last edited by irishpancake; 5th March 2012 at 09:45 PM.)
#4  
irishpancake's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 282
Posts: 707
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Small Village
Ur welcome ali

Nitrality stores efs backup here:

/sdcard/insanity/backup/efs



Sent from my GT-I8150 on Lanzarote Canary Vacation using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to irishpancake For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
ricksIII
Old
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 93
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Oosten
I back up efs with philzz recovery. Is onze backup enough? Or do i need to backup always before flashing?

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk
Device: Samsung Galaxy S3
Root: Yes
ROM: UltimaRom V15 beta
Kernel: Boeffla 3.0
 
AntGrant
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Jan 2014
So what exactly is the EFS??
 
dec0der
Old
(Last edited by dec0der; 28th January 2014 at 05:39 AM.)
#7  
dec0der's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 679
Posts: 1,317
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntGrant View Post
So what exactly is the EFS??
EFS stands for Encrypting File System, which is really important part of networking and communication for Android Smartphones, It also contains your device IMEI data. When installing the Custom ROMs, it is always recommended to backup EFS Data, because these are the places, where you might loose this data and when you lose it, it means you may no longer be able to use your smartphone for communication, ultimately which becomes just a multimedia toy!!

readme

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alidsd View Post
Hi All,

I came to know the EFS folder is very important in Samsung phones. I didn't cared about it and flashed a different region ROM (XEU->OZS). Each thing is working fine.
I can remember that there used to be some files inside the EFS folder when I had the XEU but now i am little bit worried that the EFS folder is empty.

Many threads on XDA recommend to Backup the EFS folder before flashing new ROM. I have noticed that my Product Code has also changed after flashing the new region ROM.

So anybody can give some details that have I missed something important by not backing up the EFS folder ??

Thanks
Might be helpful. How to Backup and Restore EFS Data/IMEI on any Samsung Android Phone

If your phone is working fine, there's no need to worry. It's most likely more technical.
The Following User Says Thank You to dec0der For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
keithross39
Old
#8  
keithross39's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,190
Posts: 1,980
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oxford
Simply copying your EFS folder to your PC is a reasonable idea.....and one which most people would think would work.......
However........
If you had to restore your EFS folder from that copy, it probably *wouldn't* work.....simply because during the copying process, the permissions would have changed, and unless you have detailed knowledge of what the permissions were before copying, they'd all be wrong after re applying........
Your best bet is to do what others have mentioned and use an app to make the backup (and re apply it if necessary). I use HC k tool and then make a copy of the backup it produces on my external microSD card.......

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
 
dec0der
Old
#9  
dec0der's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 679
Posts: 1,317
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithross39 View Post
Simply copying your EFS folder to your PC is a reasonable idea.....and one which most people would think would work.......
However........
If you had to restore your EFS folder from that copy, it probably *wouldn't* work.....simply because during the copying process, the permissions would have changed, and unless you have detailed knowledge of what the permissions were before copying, they'd all be wrong after re applying........
Your best bet is to do what others have mentioned and use an app to make the backup (and re apply it if necessary). I use HC k tool and then make a copy of the backup it produces on my external microSD card.......

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
Yeah, and i think EFS Professional will do the work on that.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Give Your Android Wear Device a Lock Screen with Lockable

Without a doubt,Android Wear is one of the most frequently talked abouttopics of … more

Forums Added for the LG G Watch R and Samsung Gear S

A little over a week ago, LG “inadvertently” let the world know about the … more

Secrecy App Goes Open Source, New LG Android Wear Device! – XDA Developer TV

Secrecy encryption app goes open source! That and much … more

Pushbullet Updated with SMS Send Ability

Pushbullet is one of thoseapplications that every Android lover should have installed on his or … more